• Advertisement

Pneumonic Plague

Post about flu and other pandemics here

Moderator: medic94

Pneumonic Plague

Postby kenjabroni » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4765804/black-death-warning-in-nine-countries-including-brit-holiday-hotspots-amid-fears-plague-could-spread-on-flights-from-madagascar/

Ive read some dystopian type novels about this fairly recently so its kind of eye opening.

Im glad they are letting the public know, but how many people have possibly been infected and left the area on planes before their symptoms have come about. I know I am going to keep my eyes on this story for a bit.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: Pneumonic Plague

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Hate to say it but something needs to reduce the world population drastically. We are laying waste,
polluting, and destroying it, needs time to clean itself and renew.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:56 pm

We should outlaw electric cars then as the actually cause more pollution than gas vehicles.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 pm

I can tell you with some certainty - if this plague gets totally out of control similar to the earlier ebola outbreak in Africa - Prez Trump won't have any trouble with a border closure - unlike Obammy who refused to even consider it ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:18 pm

kenjabroni wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4765804/black-death-warning-in-nine-countries-including-brit-holiday-hotspots-amid-fears-plague-could-spread-on-flights-from-madagascar/

Ive read some dystopian type novels about this fairly recently so its kind of eye opening.

Im glad they are letting the public know, but how many people have possibly been infected and left the area on planes before their symptoms have come about. I know I am going to keep my eyes on this story for a bit.

keep an eye on the international airports in the UK and France - that's the usually connecting points coming out of Africa .......
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:02 am

Illini Warrior wrote:keep an eye on the international airports in the UK and France - that's the usually connecting points coming out of Africa .......

Yeah I was thinking the big airports would be in that region of Europe. I just hope they didnt let some through before they decided to issue this alert. Once some went through London and had this it could really create some issues. I know it can be treated with a strong regimen of antibiotics, but how many people would dismiss it as just a cold before they started showing more severe symptoms. It seems to me they may be trying to downplay the situation too so those destinations dont lose out on the tourists dollar that helps their economies keep going too.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:35 am

kenjabroni wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:keep an eye on the international airports in the UK and France - that's the usually connecting points coming out of Africa .......

Yeah I was thinking the big airports would be in that region of Europe. I just hope they didnt let some through before they decided to issue this alert. Once some went through London and had this it could really create some issues. I know it can be treated with a strong regimen of antibiotics, but how many people would dismiss it as just a cold before they started showing more severe symptoms. It seems to me they may be trying to downplay the situation too so those destinations dont lose out on the tourists dollar that helps their economies keep going too.

that azzhole that traveled to the US knowing he had ebola came thru London - they didn't catch the guy at any of the checkpoints even tho they had were specifically looking for ebola ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby sageprice » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Hate to say it but something needs to reduce the world population drastically. We are laying waste,
polluting, and destroying it, needs time to clean itself and renew.

Don't worry, only one percent of the population are preppers
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby casualprepper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 pm

I feel like with all the possibilities of disasters or SHTF/WROL situations a massive disease outbreak will be the hardest to survive as it is the least predictable. Any tips?
casualprepper

Postby daaswampman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:43 pm

casualprepper wrote:I feel like with all the possibilities of disasters or SHTF/WROL situations a massive disease outbreak will be the hardest to survive as it is the least predictable. Any tips?

Depends on where you live and the preparations you have made! A pandemic might be a blessing in disguise! If the population was reduced by half, there would still be too many of us! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:03 am

casualprepper wrote:I feel like with all the possibilities of disasters or SHTF/WROL situations a massive disease outbreak will be the hardest to survive as it is the least predictable. Any tips?

You need to beef up your medical supplies. Think overwhelmed/unavailable healthcare in all phases (doctors, hospitals, medical supplies, medicines). You will be on your own.

• Have materials/supplies ready to set up your own sick room/isolation area.
  • Have PPE items (Personal Protection Equipment: Masks, gloves, eye goggles, Tyvek suits)
    • Know HOW to Put On & PROPERLY remove those PPE items.
    • Know how to PROPERLY dispose of those items.
  • You may have to be responsible to deal with the death/burial of your own loved one. Know how to do so correctly/safely.

I have an entire section dedicated to pandemic preparedness over on my Emergency Home Preparation site. (Link below). Feel free to look it over and bring any suggestions you like or conversation/discussion back to APN.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:17 am

Seychelles – Suspected Plague (Ex- Madagascar)
http://www.who.int/csr/don/26-october-2 ... helles/en/

Disease outbreak news
26 October 2017

Madagascar is experiencing a large outbreak of plague affecting major cities and other non-endemic areas since August 2017. This outbreak carries a moderate risk of spread to neighbouring Indian Ocean islands which is mitigated naturally by the short incubation period of pneumonic plague and the institution of exit screening measures at the airport and other major ports. For more information, see the latest situation report available from:

On 10 October 2017, the Seychellois Ministry of Health notified WHO of a probable case of pneumonic plague. The probable case had visited Madagascar and returned to Seychelles on 6 October 2017. He developed acute respiratory symptoms on 9 October 2017 and presented to a local health centre. Based on a medical examination and reported history of recent travel to Madagascar, pneumonic plague infection was suspected and he was immediately referred to hospital where he was isolated and treated.

On 11 October 2017, a rapid diagnostic test was performed in country on a sputum sample and was weakly positive. From 9 through 11 October 2017, eight of his contacts developed mild symptoms and were isolated. Two other suspected cases, with no travel history to Madagascar and no established epidemiological link to the probable case, were also identified, isolated and placed on treatment.

Ten samples from suspected cases, including the probable case, were collected and sent to the Institut Pasteur Paris and all tested negative on 17 October 2017.

13 October was the last day of monitoring of over 320 contact persons of the probable case, including 41 passengers and seven crew members from the flight, 12 close family members, and 18 staff and patients from the health centre visited by the probable case. All were provided a prophylactic course of antibiotics to prevent the disease.

Overall, a total of 1223 contacts had been registered and were followed up. Of these, 833 contacts were given prophylactic antibiotics. Four suspected cases were identified from among the contacts and were put on treatment.

Following the negative test results from Institut Pasteur Paris, all contacts who were isolated in the hospital, including the probable case, have been discharged. Antibiotic prophylaxis to the identified contacts, including monitoring of their health for symptom development has been discontinued.

Public health response

A Crisis Emergency Committee was established on 10 October 2017, to coordinate surveillance, contact tracing, case management, isolation and supplies.

The government has allocated funds to support the Committee interventions, enabling the setting up of a temporary isolation ward (whilst the existing ward is expanded), procurement of key supplies, contact tracing, and expansion of contact tracers’ training.

Air Seychelles flights to and from Madagascar had been stopped on 8 October 2017 to reduce likelihood of further importation of plague cases from Madagascar. WHO does not recommend restrictions on travel and trade. Since 10 October 2017, the Madagascar Ministry of Health, with support from WHO, has implemented exit screening at the international airport in Antananarivo to prevent international spread. Further support from WHO and partners is being planned to strengthen measures at points of entry to avoid international spread.

WHO is advising the Government of Seychelles on the implementation of public health measures that are in line with the WHO International Health Regulations, such as enhanced surveillance, isolation and treatment of suspect cases, contact tracing and prophylactic treatment of potential contacts.

WHO risk assessment

Plague is a treatable infectious disease caused by Yersinia pestis, a zoonotic bacterium, usually found in small mammals and their fleas. Humans can be contaminated by the bite of infected fleas, through direct contact with infected materials or animals or by inhalation.

There are three main forms of plague infection, depending on the route of infection: bubonic, septicaemic and pneumonic.

Pneumonic plague is the most virulent form of plague and can trigger severe epidemics through person-to-person transmission via respiratory droplets. Incubation period can be as short as 24 hours. Typically, the pneumonic form is caused by spread to the lungs from advanced bubonic plague. However, a person can acquire primary pneumonic from a symptomatic pneumonic plague patient by inhalation of infectious respiratory droplets. Plague is a preventable and treatable disease; however, untreated pneumonic plague is always fatal.

Plague has never been reported in Seychelles, and at this stage, no plague cases have been confirmed in Seychelles. None of the previously reported probable or suspected cases have died. The Seychelles Government has established precautionary measures including, enhanced surveillance, isolation and treatment of suspect cases, contact tracing and prophylactic treatment of potential contacts, and screening at major ports of entry. Training of additional healthcare workers and volunteers in contact tracing was conducted on 17 October 2017 with WHO support. The risk of pneumonic plague in the Seychelles is considered as low and the overall regional and global risk levels as very low.

WHO travel advice

At this stage, Seychelles has not confirmed any plague case on its territory, and there is a very low risk that international travellers would come into contact with plague in Seychelles. WHO advises against any restriction on travel or trade on Seychelles or Madagascar based on the available information.

On 3 October 2017, WHO published advice for international travellers in relation to the outbreak of plague in Madagascar, which should also be followed for travellers to Seychelles.

On 11 October, the Ministry of Health announced several measures against pneumonic plague in a press release on its website. As many of these measures significantly interfere with international traffic, on 13 October, the Ministry of Health informed WHO that it will provide the scientific evidence and public health rationale for these measures, as required by Article 43.3 of the International Health Regulations (IHR, 2005).

Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 am

Social distancing is an easy way to increase your chances of survival, but to do it properly you need to have your supplies lined up ahead of time so you don't have to risk exposure after the disease or pandemic is already in your community.

Also, since we're in a thread about pneumonic plague, consider getting some fish antibiotics since they are the same as human pills without the need for a prescription. The toughest thing (other than cost) is to know what to use when. If we're lucky then we'll know what is spreading and what treatments are effective (antibiotics don't help against virus based diseases, nor will be antivirals work against bacterial infections.) I highly recommend buying some good books on survival medicine (Doom and Bloom's Survival Medicine Handbook is great) and if you have the space it's not a bad idea to get a Physicians Desk Reference (I got a 2014 PDR for short money in the used book section of Amazon) so you know what to do with any medicines that you do store in case of disaster.

If you're thinking long term disaster then learning about herbal medicine is probably your best bet since any modern medicines won't last long into any serious disaster. This is one area that I need to improve on, since while I have some books, I haven't tried any of the remedies, nor do I have many of the herbs growing in my yard.
dmwalsh568

Postby daaswampman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 pm

At the moment there is a nationwide shortage of simple IV fluids (5% dextrose and normal saline). Nothing more than fancy sugar and salt water for IV use!

I am at work at a University Teaching Hospital and we have 2 ICU beds available. A quick check and there are about a dozen among all seven hospitals in town.

Imagine if there was a sudden or massive increase in the need for antibiotics or advanced care beds? This area is not unique, the whole system has been whittled down to just enough and just in time!

If you have any plans to lay in a stock of medications or supplies - now may be a good time to do it. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:00 pm

daaswampman wrote:
If you have any plans to lay in a stock of medications or supplies - now may be a good time to do it. Swamp

Soccer playing son just returned home, for a couple of months, after almost a year in Texas playing ball. Less than 1/2 hr from the border, I've been to Mexico twice, this summer, stocking my medicine chest w/ antibiotics and a couple of other meds we use on a regular basis. Son came home, a few days ago, with one more round of each of the ones I'm stocking (I sent him a photo of the bottles so he could easily find them!). Hubby's brother & wife live down there, so I'm sending them a shopping list for their over-the-border Christmas shopping trip, before they come to visit us for the holiday! I'm feeling MUCH better about some of the meds I was lacking for updates now.

YES ... part of your home prepping should also include as much medical prepping as you can. We've been lucky skirting a couple of possible pandemic situations ... so far.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Pandemic Preparedness