Page 2 of 3

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am
by ReadyMom
Plague cases top 1800: ‘The epidemic indicators are in a decreasing phase’
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/plague-cas ... ase-14503/

November 1, 2017

The number of plague cases have topped 1800 in Madagascar, including 1,111 pneumonic plague cases, according to new data released by WHO.

From 1 August to 30 October 2017, a total of 1,801 suspected cases of plague, including 127 deaths (case fatality rate 7%), were reported. Of these, 1,111 (62%) were clinically classified as pulmonary plague, 261 (15%) were bubonic plague, one was septicemic, and 428 were unspecified (further classification of cases is in process).

Since the beginning of the outbreak, 71 healthcare workers (with no deaths) have been affected.

Both UN and local officials say things are getting better. WHO says the number of new cases of pulmonary plague is declining across the country. Meanwhile, Dr. Joséa Ratsirarson, Secretary General of the Ministry of Public Health said (computer translated), “The epidemic indicators are in a decreasing phase. No cases have been recorded in the twenty-two districts during the last fifteen days. Fifteen districts have not submitted a case for a week. Ten districts still have emerging cases.”

In related news, L’Express de Madagascar reports (computer translated) reported that the World Bank will give $5 million to support the national plan to fight the plague.

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:52 pm
by Matte
Somewhat dated article, but just the most current example I could find that mentioned anything about possible antibiotic resistance:

So far 11 Yersinia pestis strains have been isolated, and tests show that all are sensitive to antibiotics recommended for treatment.


So the antibiotics for treatment and post-exposure prophylaxis should be the same as referenced here: https://www.cdc.gov/plague/healthcare/clinicians.html

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:06 am
by Illini Warrior

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:48 pm
by kenjabroni
I just got through reading about that starting up over there Illini.

I read a report that also said that this pneumonic plague is acting different than other outbreaks in the past. Keeping my ears and eyes open about this just because if it got into any major airport it could really really cause havoc. Someone thinks they have a cold and they are okay otherwise but they are fully contagious by the time they hit London or New York......yeah that could be a pandemic firing off right there.

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 am
by Illini Warrior
kenjabroni wrote:I just got through reading about that starting up over there Illini.

I read a report that also said that this pneumonic plague is acting different than other outbreaks in the past. Keeping my ears and eyes open about this just because if it got into any major airport it could really really cause havoc. Someone thinks they have a cold and they are okay otherwise but they are fully contagious by the time they hit London or New York......yeah that could be a pandemic firing off right there.



the African that made it all the way into the US with Ebola was physically sick looking and still got thru the med checkpoints - anyone knowingly leaving that area infected wouldn't have that much trouble - these outbreaks are EXACTLY what needs to be followed closely by preppers and acted on well in advance of the pandemic stage ....

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 pm
by daaswampman
I will play the devil advocate here for a moment! If you were in Africa and realized you were getting sick, what would you do? I would get the hell out if I could and I would not tell a damn soul. Looking out for number one! Swamp

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:14 pm
by Illini Warrior
daaswampman wrote:I will play the devil advocate here for a moment! If you were in Africa and realized you were getting sick, what would you do? I would get the hell out if I could and I would not tell a damn soul. Looking out for number one! Swamp



what you're actually asking is ''Are you a mass murderer?" ... climb on a jet with hundreds of innocent people for an enclosed exposure of maybe 6-8 hours - I wouldn't get a hotel room over a music venue or find a church full of Sunday worshipers to massacre enmass either ....

takes a sick individual - it separates me from the hypocrite sheeple liberals ....

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 am
by daaswampman
Human nature is what it is and most humans will choose to survive. Expecting anything else is pointless. I trust in God, everyone else is suspect! Swamp

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:07 am
by ReadyMom
Illini Warrior wrote:these outbreaks are EXACTLY what needs to be followed closely by preppers and acted on well in advance of the pandemic stage ....


Actually, that is EXACTLY what happened at the start of the 2009 Swine flu outbreak! A prepper was watching and saw that there were a LARGE number of people getting sick from a flu in Mexico. They mentioned that they thought it was something that should be looked at more closely by the 'Flubie' communities (what people who follow potential flu pandemics are called). I can remember it well. It was very concerning to the person reporting it on the board I was on, at the time. Ended up they were RIGHT! And those of us watching, saw the entire 2009 pandemic unfold from the beginning stages and ramped up both awareness & prepping for pandemic flu.

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 am
by dmwalsh568
While everyone jokes about how bad medicine is in 3rd world countries, for these local diseases you're often better off being treated where doctors have a clue about what's wrong. All too often you hear about stories where an emergency room here or in Canada send someone home with a misdiagnosis and when they get worse it's too late to treat.
So not traveling is pro survival as well as the moral thing to do, at least for these treatable diseases....

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 am
by Illini Warrior
ReadyMom wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:these outbreaks are EXACTLY what needs to be followed closely by preppers and acted on well in advance of the pandemic stage ....


Actually, that is EXACTLY what happened at the start of the 2009 Swine flu outbreak! A prepper was watching and saw that there were a LARGE number of people getting sick from a flu in Mexico. They mentioned that they thought it was something that should be looked at more closely by the 'Flubie' communities (what people who follow potential flu pandemics are called). I can remember it well. It was very concerning to the person reporting it on the board I was on, at the time. Ended up they were RIGHT! And those of us watching, saw the entire 2009 pandemic unfold from the beginning stages and ramped up both awareness & prepping for pandemic flu.



I remember toooo well - other countries were closing down their borders tight and others taking advanced med precautions - Obammy refused to take any action - there were number of Americans that got infected and few died ... same thing again with the Ebola outbreak .... you need to watch out for yourself - if you see pandemic indications in the regular media it's most likely too late ....

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 pm
by kenjabroni
Illini Warrior wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:these outbreaks are EXACTLY what needs to be followed closely by preppers and acted on well in advance of the pandemic stage ....


Actually, that is EXACTLY what happened at the start of the 2009 Swine flu outbreak! A prepper was watching and saw that there were a LARGE number of people getting sick from a flu in Mexico. They mentioned that they thought it was something that should be looked at more closely by the 'Flubie' communities (what people who follow potential flu pandemics are called). I can remember it well. It was very concerning to the person reporting it on the board I was on, at the time. Ended up they were RIGHT! And those of us watching, saw the entire 2009 pandemic unfold from the beginning stages and ramped up both awareness & prepping for pandemic flu.



I remember toooo well - other countries were closing down their borders tight and others taking advanced med precautions - Obammy refused to take any action - there were number of Americans that got infected and few died ... same thing again with the Ebola outbreak .... you need to watch out for yourself - if you see pandemic indications in the regular media it's most likely too late ....


I agree with your comment about seeing it in the media its probably too late. Seeing this plague outbreak being discussed worries me because usually they keep this stuff under pretty tight wraps. Makes me wonder what the heck is really going on because in my head I am thinking that it is a lot worse than they are letting on and that its quite possibly about to blow up or maybe it has and noone is really looking close enough. To see three or four different stories on it over at Drudge for the past month has really go my attention. Im not sure how bad it is but Im not sure they are letting everyone know either. Dont want to panic all the people getting their new iphones and such

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 pm
by kenjabroni
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5072717/Plague-fears-grow-Malawi-10th-nation-alert.html


Another country in Africa told to be prepared. Im not seeing new numbers but it seems I see at least one story a day about the plague. Im betting there is more to it than what is being talked about.

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 am
by Illini Warrior
kenjabroni wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5072717/Plague-fears-grow-Malawi-10th-nation-alert.html


Another country in Africa told to be prepared. Im not seeing new numbers but it seems I see at least one story a day about the plague. Im betting there is more to it than what is being talked about.



there's been reported cases in South Africa - haven't seen anything on the network from the SA prepper brothers - they tend to focus their prepping in one direction - but there must be some pandemic concern prepping being done .....

Re: Pneumonic Plague

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:27 pm
by daaswampman
There is a huge unknown - What happens when an ancient disease meets a population saturated with numerous resistant organisms due to their overuse of antibiotics?

Deadly outbreak of black death which has killed 140 in Madagascar may mutate and become UNTREATABLE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... TABLE.html

[snip]

A strain of plague which has already killed more than 140 Madagascar could mutate and become untreatable, an expert has warned.

There are fears the disease could spread to Europe and America via plane travel as Ebola did in 2014, with ten African nations already put on alert for signs of infection.
Now Professor Paul Hunter has warned that, while it would be easy for an advanced country to contain the disease in its current form, he fears that it could evolve into something far more dangerous.

Hunter, a disease expert at the University of East Anglia, told the Daily Star: 'If it reaches the UK, Europe or the US it would be similar to the Ebola outbreak.
'We would have a few isolated cases but it shouldn’t spread like it has in Madagascar.
'As with any disease, it's a real worry that it mutates and become untreatable.'