• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

CERT Instructors?

CERT stands for "Community Emergency Response Team" and is a program that educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT Members please post about your activities and training in this sub-forum

CERT Instructors?

Postby Hiker72 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 am

Do we have any CERT instructors here?

I'm interested in any additional training aids or other materials you might have developed in teaching the basic courses, and if you would be willing to share? :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Anonymous

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell
Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Re: CERT Instructors?

Postby itsadisaster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 am

We know some instructors but none are on APN (yet but working on 'em) .. plus I do tons of research county by county, state by state with CERTs, MRCs, etc. Will keep my feelers out there for you and share resources as I find them if you'd like..?! itsa
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free 58-pg ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it? with tips about hurricanes, floods, evacuations, wildfires, kits + more
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby Hiker72 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:49 am

That would be great. Thank you very much.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Anonymous

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell
Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby jmcglash » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Hello,

I just finished my CERT Trainer training.
I will be getting the presentation materials used in my classes shortly which I should be able to make available but there are other options.

Did you take a look at the LA CERT manuals? I am sure you can find what you need there. I got the materials I used for the module I presented from here.

CERT started in LA and the resources they have available are amazing! Take a look. I will reply to this thread when I get my copies of the presentations used in the train the trainer class.

Jim
jmcglash

Postby Hiker72 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 pm

You know for some reason I never thought to look at what you guys have as far as a website and what you have done. Duh.

Definitely got a lot of resources there....thanks for the tip!
-Anonymous

Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Well I feel silly .. I just presumed you'd already been to LA CERT site hiker .. sorry for not pointing you there sooner -- thank you Jim! And welcome to APN..!!! :)
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free 58-pg ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it? with tips about hurricanes, floods, evacuations, wildfires, kits + more
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby Hiker72 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah I guess I basically just kind of gave up at looking for other CERT sites after seeing some of the local stuff. :blush:

Since I'm going to be in charge of our local CERT, I guess fixing up a cool webpage could be one project to tackle. 8)

(Except I don't know anything about webpage design... :blush: )
-Anonymous

Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:48 am

Cool hiker! But you don't need to know much about webpage design since many web hosting companies (like GoDaddy, Network Solutions, etc) have templates that help non-geeks to build a site. Costs depend on what your CERT can afford to spend but getting a domain name will run about $5 to $20 for 1 year (depends on what kind of extension you want -- .com, .us, .net, etc) or you can purchase multi-years at a slight discount. Then most providers charge a monthly fee (about $6 to $20 / mon) to host your site.

Costs are usually based on how many web pages you want and bandwidth needed. Try not to get too hung up on the terms .. basically, if you don't need a complicated site with lots of pages and/or large photos, bunches of documents, etc .. a low cost basic plan will probably work. And if you need more pages or download capability they all have upgrade options for low $$$. Key thing about web design is you want to keep files as small as possible without degrading quality too bad (esp photos) so people aren't hogging bandwidth.

There are free ways to get data online too like creating a blog using a service like Blogger or Wordpress, but I've barely dabbled in that so can't give much guidance there. But .. if you want more flexibilities for your CERT (like photo albums, docs, calendars, etc) you may want to do a website.

Might want to check with your County EM or Fire (whoever is sponsoring CERT) since sometimes their I/T guys can do some pages on county site so no extra expense. If not (and if you'd like more control) consider going with a reputable web hosting firm with tech support.

We use both Godaddy and Domains Priced Right (both have US based 24 hr support via email and phone .. DPR is actually a reseller of Godaddy) .. and both offer "WebSite Tonight" option (an easy webpage designer) with their hosting service. See a short vid tutorial at http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/website- ... px?ci=9028 or http://www.securepaynet.net/hosting/web ... ricedright . Network Solutions also has templates but I'm not familiar with them.

Also .. I don't know this company from adam but I found this "create a website 101" with a narrative overview of doing a site. They don't explain template options but might help with some buzzwords and summary of the process .. so mainly fyi. http://createawebsite101.com

Sorry for babbling so long (I'm a geek / former programmer and do all our web stuff .. hey - that makes me a webitsa :D ) .. but hopefully it helps. You can PM or email me too if links don't work or above doesn't make sense. Good luck!! :) itsa (Janet)

p.s. Another CERT resource you might want to sign up for is National's quarterly newsletter http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/newsletter.shtm
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby Hiker72 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:25 pm

:eek: Information Overload!

Seriously lots of of good info there! Thanks a lot, that's a big help!
-Anonymous

Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby Uncle D » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 pm

I am a CERT instructor and have all the training info in elctronic format. I don't know if you are still looking for info.
Uncle D
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Scorpian317 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Scorpian317

Postby Hiker72 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:03 am

Uncle D wrote:I am a CERT instructor and have all the training info in elctronic format. I don't know if you are still looking for info.

I never stop looking for info. ;)

But, I have all the basics from the CERT website -
http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/training_mat.shtm

What I'm really interested in is new, supplemental course material that people have developed on their own to present to their CERT unit.
-Anonymous

Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Return to CERT