• Advertisement

New CERT Setup

CERT stands for "Community Emergency Response Team" and is a program that educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT Members please post about your activities and training in this sub-forum

New CERT Setup

Postby OutbackPrep » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 am

OK so I am a bit new here but have been around the emergency services for awhile. I am on a mission to get our county CERT-ified (funny right?). I had my first meeting with Emergency Management yesterday and and brainstormed a few good ideas. The hurdle I have to overcome first is getting the ducks in a row and really explaining the "concept". We currently have City Fire and Police, County Police, County Search and Rescue, and many VFD departments as well as a Red Cross station. I have read allot on this and other sites including the LA Cert site about uses for the teams and some structure of the program. One direction and starting point I am looking at is taking on the education system and maybe even pushing for a TEEN CERT program to work with us. The other avenue will be Homeowner assoc and the like. I feel like this education direction will be a good first step for us to prove our system and get people trained to be trainers and get a strong base in place for the first year or so. With the services my area already has in here often times are enough people reporting to fires and the like but every year we have lost hikers, kids that it seems we never have enough people to really be effective to search. Like I said my hurdle will be convincing everyone that the CERT teams are more of a neighborhood level with the ability to escalate if need be.

So after all of that my question to you all is any suggestions on other ideas for directions to push and any input on things tried and failed or successful ventures in your areas. The more info I can present the better.

Thanks
OutbackPrep
South Dakota Preppers Network

Re: New CERT Setup

Postby itsadisaster » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi OP and welcome to APN if I haven't said howdy yet! You might want to snoop thru the CERT In Action! page to read some stories of various CERTs around the country at http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/certin ... index.shtm Churches and businesses are great groups to recruit from too. Good luck getting CERT-tified :) and holler / PM me if I can help further. itsa (Janet)
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free 58-pg ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it? with tips about hurricanes, floods, evacuations, wildfires, kits + more
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby repsfo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:34 am

It seems that we tend to re-invent the wheel every so often, I guess. CERT seems to be another version of the Red Cross "DAT" Disaster Action Team. DAT was trained to respond in their communities and neighborhoods in time of emergency. With supplies stocked in certain locations, they could open shelters, do damages assesment, first-aid stations, Mass care (feeding) stations either distribution or kitchens to produce the meals. They were trained in communications had radios to communicate within teams and between teams and with the local ARC Chapter. They suffered the same problems. They became very popular in the weeks and months after a local disaster. When we had no large disasters locally the members become board, don't want to train or learn new skills.
repsfo

Postby OutbackPrep » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for the info so far. Right now what i am seeing is the roll of CERT here will be more on the education level and response at the neighborhood level rather than at the county or city level. We do have a ride along program with both fire and police that I think would help the participants feel more involved and "useful" with the training.
OutbackPrep

Return to CERT