• Advertisement

Wake County NC Disappointment

CERT stands for "Community Emergency Response Team" and is a program that educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT Members please post about your activities and training in this sub-forum

Wake County NC Disappointment

Postby maustypsu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:57 pm

I've attempted to contact our CERT team here. I found two different sets of contacts. Neither have responded to emails or phone calls. I sent an email to a FEMA contact address I found online and have gotten no response.

Any thoughts or ideas?
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator

Re: Wake County NC Disappointment

Postby repsfo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Same here in Guilford Co. I even know who runs the Emergency Mgmt office here but got no response.
repsfo

Postby Ed the Pilgrim » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Start with your local fire dept, see if they know who your emergency management contact is for your area, then go from there....they should be able to steer you in the right direction (the FPD always is involved in everything, they know more than most ;) )
"People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results." - Albert Einstein

http://galtstrike.com/forum/index.php

P+

Zombie Apocalypse due to Economic Collapse
Ed the Pilgrim
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby Hiker72 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 pm

This is what you used to contact them?
http://www.wakegov.com/em/

Have you tried these folks yet?
http://www.volunteernc.org/index.aspx

I'd post the main Citizen Corps website, but it seems to be having a number of problems loading.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Anonymous

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell
Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby repsfo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 am

Hiker72 wrote:This is what you used to contact them?

I'd post the main Citizen Corps website, but it seems to be having a number of problems loading.

I see the issue with Guilford county:

"CERT training is oriented towards neighborhoods and businesses. Training for unaffiliated persons is limited and based upon availability in scheduled neighborhood programs. CERT classes require a minimum of 10 participants from a single neighborhood and will be held based on availability of funding. Classes that do not achieve a minimum enrollment may be cancelled."

Unless I get at least 10 of my neighbors to agree to sign up and attend the classes they won't return my call or answer my Email and they won't plug an individual into another neighborhood class. In other words they are not iterested in training individuals, just neighborhood groups.
repsfo

Postby Hiker72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 am

Well according to the main Citizen Corps website, there is no Wake County NC CERT program. At least I didn't see one listed here -

https://www.citizencorps.gov/cc/CertInd ... =&state=NC
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Anonymous

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell
Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby Hiker72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 am

repsfo wrote:
Hiker72 wrote:This is what you used to contact them?

I see the issue with Guilford county:

"CERT training is oriented towards neighborhoods and businesses. Training for unaffiliated persons is limited and based upon availability in scheduled neighborhood programs. CERT classes require a minimum of 10 participants from a single neighborhood and will be held based on availability of funding. Classes that do not achieve a minimum enrollment may be cancelled."

Unless I get at least 10 of my neighbors to agree to sign up and attend the classes they won't return my call or answer my Email and they won't plug an individual into another neighborhood class. In other words they are not iterested in training individuals, just neighborhood groups.

In the past, what we've done here in my county is to make an announcement and just let the class fill up with folks from all over.

But with funding for Citizen Corps drying up fast, how these programs sustain themselves will require some creativity. Our MRC program didn't get any funding at all for this year.
-Anonymous

Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby repsfo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:58 am

Hiker72 wrote:In the past, what we've done here in my county is to make an announcement and just let the class fill up with folks from all over.

But with funding for Citizen Corps drying up fast, how these programs sustain themselves will require some creativity. Our MRC program didn't get any funding at all for this year.

If I remember correctly you can take the training via the Web as an individual. It seemed to me to be one of those great ideas, however somewhat of a dulpicate of the ARC "DAT - teams", that had no funding to support it.
repsfo

Postby maustypsu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Ed the Pilgrim wrote:Start with your local fire dept, see if they know who your emergency management contact is for your area, then go from there....they should be able to steer you in the right direction (the FPD always is involved in everything, they know more than most ;) )

I started with the Sheriff's office. I know Donnie and his team are pretty good at their job - even if I can get a permit for a tiger tank! Then I went to two fire stations. When I use the terms "CERT", "C-E-R-T" or "community emergency response team" I get blank stares and silence on the phone. Seems crazy to me but even in a county like this with reasonable size cities I don't think it exists.
maustypsu

Postby Hiker72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm

maustypsu wrote:When I use the terms "CERT", "C-E-R-T" or "community emergency response team" I get blank stares and silence on the phone. Seems crazy to me but even in a county like this with reasonable size cities I don't think it exists.

That's very possible. As mentioned above according to the main CERT page there isn't anything listed for your county.
-Anonymous

Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby maustypsu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Glad all levels of government are using our money wisely.

I'd much rather them worry about whether or not I have a small greenhouse in my back yard with the proper permits, than to spend time and money preparing a ZERO Payroll way to ensure the safety of a million people in case of disaster. I'm almost mad enough to vote!
maustypsu

Postby repsfo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:19 am

Look here:

http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/training_mat.shtm

IS-317

You can also download the materials and use them for your local group. The idea is to learn and make use of the information for preparing yourself and your family/community if your not specifically in being "certified" by some public agency.
repsfo

Postby kitandcaboodle+ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

I had the same problem trying to get someone to respond to me in Georgia, I finally got with a nearby County fire department that helped me find classes in thier county.
I hope you find the right class. My county did not have one so I kept looking until I found a county that had a class.

Good luck
Kat
kitandcaboodle+

!!!! CERT Teams forming in DAVIDSON Co. !!!!

Postby repsfo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:49 am

Call Larry Morgan @ Davidson County Emergency Mgmt. 242-2280
repsfo

Postby maustypsu » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:53 am

I finally did get a response after emailing the Raleigh City Manager a list of dates, times and methods I've used to contact his office regarding CERT. Here is what I got back...

The CERT team in Raleigh is not currently active. Should you wish to volunteer, I would suggest local organizations such as the Baptist Men or American Red Cross. They, as well as others, provide excellent training and disaster response.

Thanks,
maustypsu

Next

Return to CERT