• Advertisement

Take A CERT Class

CERT stands for "Community Emergency Response Team" and is a program that educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT Members please post about your activities and training in this sub-forum

Take A CERT Class

Postby Hayduke47 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm

I learned about CERT here on APN. I was curious about the program, but wary because, after all, it was a "government" program.

I completed my first CERT class a couple of weeks ago. I have to report that it is a tremendous program. My class actually included a number of other "preppers" who not only wanted to learn the proper responses to a catastrophe, but also shared a passion to share their concern with neighbors and others in a disaster.

It's a very good program. From basic first aid ... to communications ... to establishing priorities in a disaster ... to working with others to save lives, the program is a great resource for preppers.

Yes, while it is a "government" program, it is also a community-centered program that teaches you what you can do in any emergency to help your neighbors and, in so doing, protect your own safety and property.

I plan to pursue further opportunities through CERT and am even looking at the MRC program as well.
TheBudley
The Journey Is The Reward
http://www.thebudley.com/
Hayduke47
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Re: Take A CERT Class

Postby arkieready » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

I took cert a while back. Very informative! Very useful. Dd is taking it now. .Guv has a lot of problems, but also a lot of good. I just took a stormspotter class. Not only fun, but the info spotters provide helps meteorologists learn more, thereby improving the warning system.
We have a chance here to be helpful members of society. I'm in.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby SSG Nasty » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Waiting for the next class in my area. Curious to see how it all plays out.
"FIRE IN THE HOLE"
SSG Nasty
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby TFreemanJohnson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:23 am

Would somebody like to post a link to more info on the program?
TFreemanJohnson

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:34 am

Finished a couple of weeks ago. Great class.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby shawn1980 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 am

I tried last year. There are no CERTS teams close to me. I attempted to get one started without much success. I really didn't want to have to run a team because I just don't have the time.
shawn1980

Postby shawn1980 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am

TFreemanJohnson wrote:Would somebody like to post a link to more info on the program?

http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams
shawn1980

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm

shawn1980 wrote:I tried last year. There are no CERTS teams close to me. I attempted to get one started without much success. I really didn't want to have to run a team because I just don't have the time.

Don't give up. My city doesn't even have a team, but they still offer the class. Its still full of great info and worth the time.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby itsadisaster » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:56 pm

As fyi ... if your city / community doesn't have a CERT you might want to check out FEMA’s online "Introduction to Community Emergency Response Teams", IS 317. It's an independent study course that serves as an introduction to CERT for those wanting to complete training or as a refresher for current team members. It has six modules: Introduction to CERT, Fire Safety, Hazardous Material and Terrorist Incidents, Disaster Medical Operations, and Search and Rescue. It takes between 6 and 8 hours to complete the course. The IS 317 can be taken by anyone interested in CERT. However, to become a CERT volunteer, one must complete classroom training offered by a local government agency such as the emergency management agency, fire or police department.

Learn more at http://www.citizencorps.fema.gov/cert/IS317/

And learn about some other volunteer opportunities at viewtopic.php?f=106&t=4030&p=38423#p38423 itsa
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free 58-pg ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it? with tips about hurricanes, floods, evacuations, wildfires, kits + more
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby Myakka » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:20 am

Many places don't offer CERT training simply because your EOC hasn't thought of it or doesn't realize it is grant funded and cost the county nothing, or doesnt think there is interest. Go to the head of your county EOC. If you don't have one or don't know who that is start with your fire chief. (Or adjacent county).

Also, if you get 4-6 people interested and go in as a group then they will be very likely to pursue it.

You can also try your nearest RedCross.

But be proactive.
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:41 am

Myakka,

Absolutely good advice. My county has a cert program and at the end of the course the state emergency management agency provides everyone with a CERT pack with a first aid kit, helmet, vest, goggles, gloves, shut off wrench, triage supplies, etc. not always the best quality but none the less we get something to help out.
3ADScout

Postby Myakka » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks for reminding me of the kit they give you Scout. I think you can also access some grant money if you form a formal CERT team. I know one group that got golf carts and radios for their team. Granted, they are in a gated community where the carts would be useful, but for a rural team, this could be ATV's or an Airboat or something. It takes a good grant writer and an imagination to figure how having that gear would benefit your team in fulfilling their role helping during a crisis, but there is money there to be asked for.

I also think that the image that "everyone" in the government is evil, or trying to oppress, or erode our rights is not accurate. I would say that there is an "Agenda" by agency heads, a few folks in the agencies who are trying to be agency heads, and anyone in a "political" position.
But a lot of the boots-on-the-ground people are sincerely wanting to help you when there is a "super-storm sandy" or a mudslide. So being able to work WITH these guys is useful.
And if you want to be pessimistic and assume that any government representative is evil, it would STILL be good to work from the inside, have their communications, understand their system. :) If they open a fema camp near me, I would like to be one of the folks they give a set of keys to :shifty:
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby JC1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:05 am

I'm on the list to take the next class in our community. I think it'll be great - you can never have too much knowledge. These guys are doing a great job teaching people (anyone that is willing to learn). The more people know, the more they can stand on their own two feet, the more they become an asset to the community and less of a liability). I encourage everyone to take the class.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government
take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. Henry Ford
JC1

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:50 pm

JC1 and Myakka:

I'd like to be in a position to get a set of those keys too! Having been active with CERT for several years I can also say that you can also meet like minded people in these classes. Meet ups on here are often viewed as bad for OPSEC but meeting people at a CERT training doesn't necessarily tip your hand that your a prepper but just a concerned citizen. You can strip up conversations on breaks or during meeting nights. Let's face it we can all read between the lines and figure out that someone is hinting that they are a prepper. I have several new "shooting" friends from CERT now.
3ADScout

Postby SSG Nasty » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Just got an email from the city CERT person - should have a class in Nov or Dec. Said she would keep me posted.
"FIRE IN THE HOLE"
SSG Nasty
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Next

Return to CERT