• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

PA: Fishing-Cancer Found in a Bass Fish

Looking beyond your own backyard. Camping. Fishing. Nature. Post it here!

Moderators: ReadyMom, kr105

PA: Fishing-Cancer Found in a Bass Fish

Postby ReadyMom » Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 pm

The article, below states that this is a rare occurrence. Still concerning, if you eat what you catch out of the river. Especially if that's your food source for SHTF situation. :bored: -k

Smallmouth Bass With Cancerous Tumor Raises Concerns in Pa.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/smallmouth-bas ... fb_abcn_sf

Image A smallmouth bass caught last fall has been confirmed to have a cancerous tumor on its mouth, according to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

The PFBC announced on Monday that two independent laboratory tests confirmed a malignant, or cancerous, tumor on a single smallmouth bass caught in the Susquehanna River by an angler late last year. It is the only documented case of this type of tumor being found on the fish in Pennsylvania.

Cancerous growths and tumors on fish are extremely rare in Pennsylvania and throughout the U.S., but they do occur, according to the agency.

PFBC Executive Director John Arway said in a news release that although the finding represents only one individual fish from the overall population, it provides additional evidence that the health of the fish residing in the Susquehanna River is being compromised.

"As we continue to study the river, we find young-of-year and now adult bass with sores, lesions and more recently a cancerous tumor, all of which continue to negatively impact population levels and recreational fishing," he said. "The weight-of-evidence continues to build a case that we need to take some action on behalf of the fish."

Since 2005, biologists have found find sores and lesions on young bass during late spring and early summer surveys at "alarming" rates, according to the agency.

Dr. Karen Murphy, acting Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, said: "There is no evidence that carcinomas in fish present any health hazard to humans. However, people should avoid consuming fish that have visible signs of sores and lesions."

Since 2012, the PFBC has unsuccessfully petitioned the state Department of Environmental Protection to add the river to the state's bi-annual list of impaired waterways.

"The impairment designation is critical because it starts a timeline for developing a restoration plan," said Arway. "We've known the river has been sick since 2005, when we first started seeing lesions on the smallmouth. Now we have more evidence to further the case for impairment."

"If we do not act to address the water quality issues in the Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania risks losing what is left of what was once considered a world-class smallmouth bass fishery," he said.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: PA: Fishing-Cancer Found in a Bass Fish

Postby Jethro_Vee » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:30 am

I recently learned about this at the Kipona 2015 in Harrisburg while talking with DEP and PA Fish Commission folks. Apparently the claims over the past several years that the water quality of the Susquehanna water was improving is not so true. While the water may look cleaner (at times) the chemical pollutants seems to be increasing. They have started a group called "SOS Susquehanna" for awareness to this problem and raise money although I question how the PA Fish Commission will use the money or how they will clean up the 444 mile long river.

While talking to the folks at the Kipona, I brought up the fact that in the previous week I was wading in Fishing Creek, a local rural stream and after about 15 minutes, my skin that had been exposed to the water started to burn. Fortunately I was close to a clean water source and I went immediately and washed the exposed skin. Then one of the individuals rolled their pant leg up and showed me severe discoloration of the skin. She stated they were doing work in the Conodoguinet Creek and had the same thing happen.

We talk about the purification of water during emergencies with the big focus of killing the bugs and parasites. I have in the past dipped water out of streams (to include the one that I waded in), lakes and even on occasion out of the Susquehanna River (while on camping expeditions) and purified it by boiling, Clorox drops or using Aquamira. I am seriously rethinking that idea because our general method of purification does not include chemical filtration and we don't know who is dumping what or what is oozing in the water upstream. I think this might be a consideration during a long term emergency and getting water from a surface source. It's all the local streams and watersheds that feed the Susquehanna and remember Harrisburg has a city water intake in the Susquehanna River. Just something to think about.
Jethro_Vee

Re: PA: Fishing-Cancer Found in a Bass Fish

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 am

MORE NEWS on bad fishing in PA: :(

DO NOT EAT – Fish in Pa. river are contaminated, officials say
http://www.wgal.com/article/do-not-eat- ... y/12047167

PCB levels 10 times higher than threshold for consumption found

HARRISBURG, Pa. —

State officials are warning people not to eat fish caught in a stretch of a western Pennsylvania river after tests found extremely high levels of a potentially dangerous chemical.

Environmental protection officials issued the blanket warning Monday for all fish caught in the Shenango River in Mercer and Lawrence counties after previously advising people to stay away from certain species.

Officials say tissue samples of the fish had high levels of polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs. In some cases, the results were 10 times higher than the threshold for issuing a consumption advisory.

Officials say the most recent tests by water companies did not show contamination in the water itself, but the companies agreed to increase the frequency of testing to ensure the safety of drinking water.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Pennsylvania Outdoors