• Advertisement

You Have Just Finished a Remote BOL...

Survival Retreats and Bug Out Locations.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72, refuge2012

You Have Just Finished a Remote BOL...

Postby Saxon Violence » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:29 am

Friends,

Just for the sake of argument—lets suppose that you have a rather remote cabin built somewhere and that you can't drive any closer than 10 to 20-Miles from your cabin. You've stocked your cabin with all of the standard stuff. Given the difficulty of transporting stuff to your cabin, you have to be a bit selective as to exactly what you carry in.

Lets say that three days of pushing or pulling will get one of those 300-pound capacity wheeled game haulers up to your front door...

Now, everyone try to tell me some things that it would be worthwhile to carry in AND that you might ordinarily not think of.

Please, no toilet paper, knife, axe, fishhooks. Those kind of things should be self evident to anyone of reasonable intelligence.

After much thought: Pictures or posters for the walls. Those 16''x20'' exploded drawings of 1911A1's, AK-47's etc. are easy on my eyes. I've seen them on gunstore walls and military barracks. No, I don't Need a diagram to reduce a 1911A1 to possession and reassemble it. I can't even field strip an AK—but if I had one, I would study it until I thoroughly understood its action. Its your wall. A chart of the Periodic Table? The Last Supper? A Serena Williams Poster? :eek: :clap: Anatomy chart? Impressionist Art Painting Replica?—whatever.

Putting a laminated topo map of your area on your wall might be useful, especially at first. A map on the dinner table covered with a sheet of acrylic might also be nice. Not as your only map, but as an additional map.

I'd want a small vise, maybe even two. Most hand woodworking tools can be built if you have the metal part—for planes, this is the blade. Everything else can be made of wood.

Of course then you need books on tool building and books on doing hand woodwork—unless you already know.

Bailing wire, copper wire, trash bags, safety pins, straight pins, thumbtacks, garbage bags…

I really groove on Stag grips. Mice and rats have been known to gnaw on stag grips and handles. Any gun stored at the site should be in a sealable metal box and surrounded with steel wool…

Books: I assume that everyone will bring a Bible, most of the Foxfire books, books by your favorite gun and survival experts, books on non-Euclidean geometry…

But an additional a couple of shelves worth of unread paperbacks from a used book store might help you while away some boring times.

I think that I'd eventually get one or two of those 4x8 drawer-box bins of assorted screws, rivets, springs, nails etc—I mean a small cabinet devoted to each. Of course screws, bolts, washers—things that you know you'll use a lot of, you need to buy in bulk.

Curtains and curtain rods—something festive. It gives better insulation, better light discipline and bright colors tend to lift the spirits.

Several sets of nail clippers. Mine get too dull to use easily every few years and keeping my nails cut short is extremely important to me.

Saxon Violence
Saxon Violence

Re: You Have Just Finished a Remote BOL...

Postby handyman777 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 am

Solar lights-(driveway/path markers) something with an on/off switch for night time lighting in your building.
Solar security lights set up around the "outer perimeter" to let you know if someone is around, these can always be relocated to other spots if someone knows or (finds) there location.
Solar charging panels (portable) for anything you may need charged.

Buckets
Towels
Chess Board Game
Mantels or wicks for lantern's
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 pm

My BOL is a primitive duplicate of my home. I visit often and three weeks has been my longest stay. Doing everything by hand leaves no need for entertainment or any room for festive decorations!

Everything is carried in and it is not a short walk for a screw or bit of tape. The result is a massive duplication of everything! Hand tools and many supplies can be found cheap at sales and auctions, there is no such thing as too many!

More work and storage space is always needed, everything else is secondary! Right now I am drying herbs and when I left my BOL home yesterday, it more resembled a hay barn than anything else

That is what many people don't get! We are used to getting everything as we need it, but when you butcher a hog - you have the whole hog to deal with and it's right now! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:00 pm

The three things needed to survive:

Water: Bring in plastic water tanks in cages...just because you never know if the well will go out or the creek might dry up for a spell. Also have a few jugs sitting around in case those need filling, too. Might have to build a sled to haul it around to get water, though.

Shelter: If the house gets damaged, like a tree falls on it, have back up repair parts - sheets of plywood tucked away, some 2 X 4s, tarps, and the tools to go with that. If all else fails, a portable yurt or tent to live in while you make repairs.

Food: Storage containers that keep pests out. Use them for other than food, too. Pests like raccoons and possum can get into a lot of things, but make it as difficult as possible for them.

A burn barrel. Burn the trash in a controlled setting.
Cin

Postby Permafrost » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:32 am

Saxon Violence wrote:Just for the sake of argument—lets suppose that you have a rather remote cabin built somewhere and that you can't drive any closer than 10 to 20-Miles from your cabin. You've stocked your cabin with all of the standard stuff. Given the difficulty of transporting stuff to your cabin, you have to be a bit selective as to exactly what you carry in.

My cabin is over 200 river miles from the nearest road, over 100 miles by snowmachine in the winter. To say that it is difficult to transport things is a understatement. Not only is there weight and space restrictions, but you also have a large amount of breakage. If I need fragile things like globes for my oil lamps or glass jars I need to figure on hauling out double what I need because they will break in transit. Even plastic buckets filled with rice will shatter in the cold if I haul them out there during the winter on a freight sled behind a snowmachine.

When it comes down to it, you need it all to make it in the wilderness for any length of time. If you have it in town and use it to fix or build anything, you will need it or the non-power equivalent of it at your homestead. Add to this everything that is needed too keep it all working, like grease or oil or screws or nails or spare parts or a simple needle & thread. If you sub out dogs or horses for a petroleum powered motor (ATV or snowmachine) you need not only food for them but also meds if they get sick or hurt. Then there are the hidden items like blue board foam insulation that is used for outhouse seats in the winter so your skin does not freeze to the seat, the squirrels love to chew on the stuff so you can count on going through at least a sheet a year. Then you have bear damage, and you either need to be able to make your own lumber to do repairs or have a stockpile of store-bought stuff to fix what gets chewed or clawed on. Then you have personal medical needs, everything from pain meds to suture kits to tree loppers for frostbitten fingers & toes to splints & slings to all the regular meds a person might need for chronic conditions like blood pressure.

I don't have some of the other stuff you mentioned. No posters or paintings. No books other than a few fiction books that I pick up for free wherever I can get them when I'm in town, when they get stale they are good toilet paper or fire starter. No curtains, it is dark all winter and I will take all the light I can get.

As a general rule, if it goes out there it does not come back. Get quality stuff, because repairs are a pain if you have to charter a plane to drop you parts. If you need a few bolts or a pound of nails, get 10 times what you need because going back to the store is not really a option and they will eventually get used up.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Return to BOL's and Retreats