• Advertisement

On hand supplies for TEOTWAWKI

Survival Retreats and Bug Out Locations.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72, refuge2012

On hand supplies for TEOTWAWKI

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 am

Okay this isn't about the normal "Beans, Bullets and Bandaids" supplies. Like Many Preppers our BOL is a ways away from a hardware store. Not haveing the right sized screw could mean a an hour and a half ride into town and back. It is a mere inconvience today but not having the right supplies on hand post-TEOTWAWKI could prove to be a major challenge if not life-threatening.

I pride myself on having a mini-hardware store at the BOL to meet my unexpected needs during projects. Yesterday while at the BOL I decided to make a sheath for one of my hatchets to protect the blade. Went to put the snap on the strap and I found myself not having the right snap. On the way home I stopped at the Hobby Lobby and picked up a hand full of hardware items in their leather craft section. The snaps I needed, rivets and a different size post screw I didn't have.

In a TEOTWAWKI situation, not to be confused with a "run of the mill" disaster taking a trip to the hardware store, or any store for that matter my be difficult at best and impossible at the worst. Having the traditional "Beans, Bullets and Band-Aids" will allow people to "survive" but at some point something will break and need repaired or replaced. Perhaps something might need to be built to help recover, like a Gristmill or mini-hydroelectric plant. Perhaps wagon and barrel making become "Vogue" again. Having the right supplies and tools will make this much easier.

So let's talk TEOTWAWKI supplies-

Let's start by talking about Leather crafting- before plastics leather was used for a ton of things. In a post-TEOTWAWKI society leather will make a come back out of necessity. Making or repairing harnesses, leather seals for pitcher pumps, boot repair, etc. So are you prepared to work with leather?

Cutting leather is the easy part, a simple utility razor knife, or EMT Shears can cut leather. Sewing it a little more difficult. Having a tool to layout the stitching is useful for thinner leathers but when working with thicker leathers a punch (multi-prong) is very nice. A set of different diameter punches for making holes for rivets, snaps or grommets, etc. A rotary hole punch can be purchased but I find individual punches better when working with thicker leather. A leather Awl is also priceless for quickly and easily sewing leather. A set of "All Purpose" utility needles can be used if you don't have an Awl. Of course having various sizes grommets with a grommet setter, rivits with setter, post screws, "D" rings, buckles, and various sizes/types of waxed threads is also a must. I keep a large tote of leather for pre and post TEOTWAWKI projects. Post-TEOTWAWKI leather can be made from hides, but that is time consuming so it will be nice to have a stock on hand. I also have a mallet to use with the different tools and a mat to work on. A good marker, steel ruler, protractor are also useful but not necessarily only used/needed for leather work. And of course skill/experience is priceless. I make stuff now that is "functional" but it certainly won't win any prizes at the County Fair. I find YouTude is great for getting ideas of how to go about making stuff, not everyone does it the same way but they all get it done.

I will try to add to this every few weeks with different hardware/supplies preps that go beyond the traditional Beans, bullets and Bandaids.
3ADScout

Re: On hand supplies for TEOTWAWKI

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Interesting idea.
And a good one.

My observation: Salt. It is the one mineral we need to maintain homeostasis.
And it can cure food for long term food storage, making cheese and other food products.

Surviving the SHTF, is more of a question of logistics, hygienics and calories vrs the tactic-cool aspect of it.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Cast Iron- besides the cooking aspects of salt there is also it's use as a preservative, and even for medical such as a gargle. This past summer I even used salt in a homemade whitewash for the barn.
3ADScout

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:15 pm

3ADScout wrote:Cast Iron- besides the cooking aspects of salt there is also it's use as a preservative, and even for medical such as a gargle. This past summer I even used salt in a homemade whitewash for the barn.

I am fully aware of the preservative aspects of salt . . . I cure my own hogs ever year.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Matte » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:27 pm

I always try to buy things like screws and nails by the box, in fact when it comes to top-of-the-line ones like mulit-purpose screws it's hard to ever have too many.

Sure, these mulit-purpose ones cost more than those cheap "multi-purpose" ones, but the hardware store owner assured me they were worth it. :)

Seriously though, couldn't agree more. Grommets, gaskets, washers, nuts/bolts, bulbs/fuses, concrete screws/anchors, coax adapters, adhesives, copper fittings, and a million others - if I go to the hardware store for one I always try to get at least a couple extra. You'll likely never have every single item to might need, but if you have enough and with a little resourcefulness you can usually jury-rig something together in a pinch. Usually... My most recent "prep fail" was leaving my new female puppy in my plow truck with my snow plow remote within her reach. The little (ahem) (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) ate the rubber soft-touch button faceplate off the remote, and after 30 minutes of googling the cheapest replacement I could find was $150. It'd work by using a tiny ball of aluminum foil to "press" each of the buttons, but not really a long term solution since it required two hands and I find it easier to drive with at least one hand on the steering wheel... Decided to try these, and they work like a charm - plus I have 20 extras to spare. Not to say this belongs on every preppers top ten list of survival items, but just reiterating 3ADScout's point - things like this in storage (to fix your scanner/radio/security system/key fob buttons) could turn a major problem into little more than a minor inconvenience.
Matte

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Matte-

One of my favorite buys at flea markets, garage sales and estate sales is partially used boxes of nails, screws and other hardware. Last container I got was a large metal box full of all types of hardware. Many of the boxes still had price tags on them. I paid $5 for the metal box and all the hardware; added up the price tags and I had over $50. The other great thing is much of the hardware was old and is American made so in my opinion it is also top quality. I got real lucky in that there was a good amount of stainless steel screws and other hardware in the box.
3ADScout

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:38 pm

I second the garage/estate sale way to add to your screws, nails and tool supplies. We had an estate sale around the corner from us a few years back and we bought coffee cans full of screws and nails. We have used them on more than one occasion. As the older folks pass, the folks left behind are really not interested in keeping any of that stuff.

I have some heavy duty needles and threads from the sewing section of Walmart. I haven't personally worked with leather, at all. Someone was talking prepping the other night and suggested saving hides from deer and possibly rabbits - are those thin enough to use the needles and threads that I have or should I hit up Hobby Lobby for stronger supplies?

thanks!
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:40 pm

I would think that the utility needles like upholstery and sail making needles would work Definately for rabbit and probably for deer. Although I think for deer it depends how the hide is prepared that would determine this. I would at the very least get some waxed thread and would consider a way to help push/draw the needles through the leather, maybe a pair of needle nose pliers or small pair vise grips.
3ADScout

Postby IceFire » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:51 pm

ForwardPreppers,

I have sewn deer hide on my sewing machine, and rabbit skins can be sewn either on a machine or hand sewn. One thing I DO suggest though, is to have SEVERAL metal THIMBLES on hand, to help you push the needle through the hide. You'd need thimbles anyway, for helping you to push the needles through heavier fabrics, like denim. You do NOT want to be trying to push those needles through hides or even fabrics without that protection fory our fingers!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 am

Thank you both for your suggestions! Next time I get to a town with a Hobby Lobby I will look for the waxed thread and take a look at the other items in that section to see if I would like to add to our supplies. And I can pick up a few more metal thimbles. I think I only have a couple that I use for denim but I would like a few more.

I haven't worked with leather but I think hubs did in scouts. Is it a reasonable thought to make a throw using rabbit furs or do they not hold up well? We will have rabbits at some point and we've talked about how to use the whole animal.

thanks again!
MrsFP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby 3ADScout » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:37 pm

MrsFP,

One of these might suit you- I have one can't find it- I seem to be missing a whole tote of leather repair/crafting stuff. Hope I can find it.
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product ... right-hand
3ADScout

Postby Cin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I have been blessed by yard sales in our area.

I have picked up hand crank kitchen appliances - meat grinders, mixers, food processors, juicers, and so on from yard sales. They are all cleaned and tucked away in my LTS, for the time I may need them. Every time I see old fashioned kitchen tools, a snag them. I can do just about everything I need to do cooking-wise, including canning and dehydrating, without electricity, should that time ever arise. A lot of the non-electrical things I have are in Lehman's Catalog - but I picked them up for a few dollars.

My Dad has a lot of tools he picked up at yard sales, he also always buys screws, nails, electrical cords, and electronic stuff, even if it doesn't work. Whenever we need something of that order, we just go to his garage and rummage through the bins. We had a GPS, cord died...Dad had the exact cord we needed. Same with printers, computers and other things - he even has sewing machine parts. He always rummages through the "free box" that people put out at yard sales, looking for goods for his bins. It's come in very handy for the family as far as repairs.

Husband keeps screws, nails, and wood around - he made the wood cat box bed for our 3 cats out of leftovers he found in the garage, including the paint!
Cin

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:57 pm

3ADScout wrote:MrsFP,

One of these might suit you- I have one can't find it- I seem to be missing a whole tote of leather repair/crafting stuff. Hope I can find it.
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product ... right-hand

That is really nifty - I will have to get me one of those!
thanks for the help!

Mrs. FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby 3ADScout » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Okay, so leather repair and crafting tools and supplies will be very useful. What else?

I keep a supply of various wire/cable on hand. Not just electrical but also muti-use utility wire and cable in various diameters and metals. Stainless steel wire, copper, galvanized, poly-coated, aluminum, etc. The potential uses of wire in a grid down/TEOTWAWKI situation are endless. Binding, providing tension, lashings, hanging, joining, making snares, etc., etc. I view wire right up there with Duct Tape! Its possibilities are limited only by one's imagination. And since necessity is the mother of invention it is best that you keep a good selection on hand.

Places like Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply all have good selections of multipurpose wire. It doesn't take a lot of space, depending upon how much and what type you stock weight might be an issue. Depending upon the material you may have to be concerned with rust but not with all. Wire is relatively cheap so it is great to put away even for a barter.
3ADScout

Postby IceFire » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm

I keep plenty of needles, thread, fabric, patterns, and "notions" (buttons, snaps, zippers, etc) on hand...people need to have clothes, and being able to make, mend, and repair clothing will be essential. Can sew either by hand or machine (have a WORKING treadle machine for SHTF)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to BOL's and Retreats