• Advertisement

The Hunter/Warrior combo, how important is it?

General hunting topics

Re: The Hunter/Warrior combo, how important is it?

Postby sageprice » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:56 am

I'm not sure I got my point across. I believe is stealth over rapid fire, in defense over offense, guerrilla over formation.
You can spray the woods with your ARs but your just wasting ammo. Shoot and run means the enemy will waste their supplies, which will be limited by what they carry. Yours are in preplanned in small caches.
Even a 22 is deadly and locating the source is difficult, especially if you have been shooting in your territory at long distances. Remember a head shot is efficient. You are going after a kill not a trophy.
Even loose formations are easier to pin down than scattered guerrilla snippers. Vietnam taught us that, a very hard lesson.
In short, do not go looking for trouble, hide from trouble, and have the home field advantage.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 am

sageprice wrote:I'm not sure I got my point across. I believe is stealth over rapid fire, in defense over offense, guerrilla over formation.
You can spray the woods with your ARs but your just wasting ammo. Shoot and run means the enemy will waste their supplies, which will be limited by what they carry. Yours are in preplanned in small caches.
Even a 22 is deadly and locating the source is difficult, especially if you have been shooting in your territory at long distances. Remember a head shot is efficient. You are going after a kill not a trophy.
Even loose formations are easier to pin down than scattered guerrilla snippers. Vietnam taught us that, a very hard lesson.
In short, do not go looking for trouble, hide from trouble, and have the home field advantage.

I, for one, got your point quite well: "He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." Sun Tuz.
Sun Tuz was required reading when I was in the Marines.

The point I am making is, in order to conduct guerrilla operations efficiently, the need to master the fundamentals of marksmanship, to be an expert or better a master rifleman, before operations commence.
OJT is not a real thing.
Husband your ammunition. Why use two or more shots if one will do. SHTF, there may be no resupply. The big box stores are likely closed.

Contrary to popular belief, these skills can be practiced in a rural area, at low cost, and on a regular basis. No need for specialized fire arms, other than a .22LR. No need for a indoor range, if you have access to the space. No special targets are needed, sift through the recycle bin or print off reduced sized targets.
Take the training and knowledge and expand on it or practice it on a regular basis.
If I really wanted to, I could hump it out to my range and practice now, despite the several inches of snow we got recently, and single digit temperatures. I have never tried shooting in snowshoes before. Might be something I should try.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby kappydell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I am puzzled by the either-or comments of so many. why not learn & practice both skillsets?

I for example am LEO experienced, my prep partner is former military BUT we both have leaned (and still are learning & practicing) hunting, trapping and foraging skills. We (for better or worse) tend to laugh at the Naked & Afraid folks who are so busy with personal issues that they refuse to work together to utilize their resources, or only know limited ways to start fires, get foods, build shelter, etc.

Wise preppers learn all they can and don't worry about labels or whether they "like" someone to work alongside them for a common goal.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Hunting