• Advertisement

Handgun recommendation requested

Topics about guns

Re: Handgun recommendation requested

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm

rickdun wrote:Yes you're correct on the PICS check, I'm used to saying NCIC check, went threw one every year for 25 years as a federal law enforcement officer.

Many people don't know this, but if you are currently a law enforcement officer or a retired law enforcement officer, you do not need a permit to carry. President Bush signed into law after 9/11 a bill called the law enforcement officers security act (leosa). My retirement ID is stamped LEOSA, allowing anybody with that stamp on their ID to carry in any state in the U.S., no permit needed.

$2.00 for a back ground check, heck I paid $5.00 several months ago, I guess I got ripped off.

Hey Photon, did you check out http://www.pennswoods.net on the guns?

So as a federal law enforcement officer were you by any chance a federal marshall? From what I know it was Clinton that signed the bill that current and retired LEOs could carry in all 50 states. When I bought a handgun last Wednesday I had to pay $2 for the background check. Maybe they lowered it within the last few months. $5 isn't bad considered I had to pay $10 for the background check when I bought a rifle this past Saturday in Nashville TN. And in NJ its $15 for the background check after you get the FID card and a handgun permit if you want to buy a handgun and to get the FID card and permit you have to pay around $40 or $50 and then wait around for months usually.

And I did check the website. They've got some good stuff. I see there's going to be this big gun show this weekend, unfortunately I will not be able to be there.
Photon Guy

Postby rickdun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 am

President Bush-2 signed the original bill in 2004, since then there have been a couple of admendments to the bill. I worked for the department of justice, 10 years as U.S. Marshall and 15 years in the Federal Bureau of Prisons and they all claimed to be innocent.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby BK in KC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:33 pm

Just curious AuntBee, have you decided on which handgun yet?
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am

BK in KC wrote:Just curious AuntBee, have you decided on which handgun yet?

I bought a Ruger SR22. Since some time will pass until I have the permit, the guy at the gun shop told me I could come in any time to spend some quality time with it. :D
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 pm

AuntBee wrote:
BK in KC wrote:Just curious AuntBee, have you decided on which handgun yet?

I bought a Ruger SR22. Since some time will pass until I have the permit, the guy at the gun shop told me I could come in any time to spend some quality time with it. :D

:thumbup:
You made a good choice, Bee.
That's a fine gun. It's very reliable when used with quality ammo.
Don't buy the cheap stuff.
Grats on a wise selection.
terp
terrapin

Postby Photon Guy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:48 pm

AuntBee wrote:I bought a Ruger SR22. Since some time will pass until I have the permit, the guy at the gun shop told me I could come in any time to spend some quality time with it. :D

Oh yes, Ruger is definitely one of the best brands out there. From my experience if you buy a Ruger you will get what you pay for and more. Now, about getting that permit...
Photon Guy

Postby getvicious » Wed May 03, 2017 12:22 am

AuntBee wrote:

I think you'll like your SR22.

My wife and I each have one. She has grip strength issues from a stroke several years back and the SR22 is what she picked out to carry because she can manipulate the slide and controls well even with her reduced grip strength. She loves her SR22.

Neither have given us any trouble. I've fired standard velocity ammo and some fast stuff (Stingers) all without issues - the pistol functions just fine with every type of ammo I've shot thru it.

My wife's SR22 is loaded with Stingers for the little extra impact force they provide over slower ammo.

And it's true that the .22 LR round is not the best defensive caliber in the world - but it is well able to kill a person if need be and is way better than harsh language. It's much better than nothing. :thumbup:
It's not the blast that kills you, it's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby eochief66 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 am

Bee, go here and ask how the judge in your county is concerning pistol permits.
I am sure you will get enough replies.
http://nyfirearms.com/forums/search.php ... id=8617962
eochief66

Postby MADE IN AMERICA » Thu May 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Anything less than 38 caliber is not a defensive handgun round in my opinion. That being said and so very justifiably. Smith, Colt and Ruger all have much to choose from. 38 Spl leaves something to be desired but its adequate for most cases. Dont settle for less.
MADE IN AMERICA

Postby terrapin » Thu May 04, 2017 2:29 pm

MADE IN AMERICA wrote:Anything less than 38 caliber is not a defensive handgun round in my opinion. That being said and so very justifiably. Smith, Colt and Ruger all have much to choose from. 38 Spl leaves something to be desired but its adequate for most cases. Dont settle for less.

I disagree.
I have a .38spl.
I also have a .22lr.

Either one will serve.
terp
terrapin

Postby MADE IN AMERICA » Thu May 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Ridiculous analogy. So if you hear a bump in the night which one are you gonna grab? Save me the trusty 22 theory. Any small arms expert knows the logical. Two digit reply only. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And yes a 22 beats a baseball bat any day!
MADE IN AMERICA

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:33 pm

MADE IN AMERICA wrote:Anything less than 38 caliber is not a defensive handgun round in my opinion. That being said and so very justifiably. Smith, Colt and Ruger all have much to choose from. 38 Spl leaves something to be desired but its adequate for most cases. Dont settle for less.

The original poster, Aunt Bee, stated that she had arthritic hands and could not tolerate the recoil. A 22 makes a lot more sense than assaulting an intruder with a kitty litter scoop. I don't think that you want to make Aunt Bee mad. She gets even. :evil:
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu May 04, 2017 3:39 pm

terrapin wrote:

I disagree.
I have a .38spl.
I also have a .22lr.

Either one will serve.
terp

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: TERP :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'll give anyone a year of my retirement (tax free) if they are willing to stand 20 feet in front of me while I point a .22 or .38 pistol at them, and letting me squeeze just one shot off at them (center mast).
rickdun

Postby Photon Guy » Thu May 04, 2017 3:56 pm

rickdun wrote: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: TERP :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'll give anyone a year of my retirement (tax free) if they are willing to stand 20 feet in front of me while I point a .22 or .38 pistol at them, and letting me squeeze just one shot off at them (center mast).

Would I get to wear a vest?
Photon Guy

Postby rickdun » Thu May 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
rickdun wrote: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: TERP :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'll give anyone a year of my retirement (tax free) if they are willing to stand 20 feet in front of me while I point a .22 or .38 pistol at them, and letting me squeeze just one shot off at them (center mast).

Would I get to wear a vest?

If you want too, but if you do, I get the chance to aim at the nose of that person instead.
rickdun

PreviousNext

Return to Guns