• Advertisement

How much ammo is enough for SHTF?

Topics about guns

Re: How much ammo is enough for SHTF?

Postby Patriot Prepper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:08 pm

I don't want to say how much ammo I currently have. But I purchased over $12,000 worth last month. I bought 17,000 rounds of AR 15 - .223/5.56 - it included green tip, defensive HP, and target ammo.

plus: defensive and target handgun ammo for .45 and 9mm.

plus: 12 gauge buck and slug, .308 Match grade ammo, .338 LM match, for my rifles.

I also hand load so I have plenty of bullets, primer, brass, and powder.

In my opinion, 1,000 rounds for every gun you have is not enough. Do what you can, but 1,000 round is just not enough. You also need ammo for practice. If you are practicing, it is easy shoot up a 1,000 rounds in a few days or in a month, depending on how often you shoot or practice.

In my group, I am always pushing everyone to shoot more and to practice. Self defense does not come cheap. On the day you need to defend yourself, you will be thankful of all the ammo you shot up acquiring your skills that keep you alive.

For preppers, having ample ammo is critical. If the SHTF there may not be any available. Ammo is also a great barter item. Never believe you have enough. Keep getting more. It never goes to waste. Do what you can, and KEEP ON PREPPING
Expect the Best - Prepare for the Worse

KEEP ON PREPPING
Patriot Prepper

Postby timmy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 pm

In a Shtf senerio bullets are better than money and a reloaded will be worth it wieght in gold as well as small rifle primers!
Amount of rounds depends on your defensive posture, time, and your ability to hit the target!
If I get into a conflict and win, I plan on taking their weapons and ammo and anything else of value!
It not just ability to attack, but your ability to defend and survive!
1 Corinthians 1 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. kjv
timmy

Postby bane5150 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I dont know if this is to much but Im working on this formula...enough ammo to reload each weapon 1 time every day for x amount of days...Days you expect to be In 100% survival mode till things settle down (if that makes sense). I figure 5-10 years till small towns start to reform and such. Numbers pulled out of thin air cause I dont have data on what to expect. I really dont think your gonna use that much ammo but what the hell better have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also dont know if the new US will start factories and infrastructure over again.

Example
Sig p226 .40S&W 15+1 = 365 days x 16 rounds x 5 years= 29,200 rounds.
Shotgun 12 guage 8+1= 365 days x 9 shells x 5 years= 16,425 shells mix bag #4 Shot, Bird shot, 00 buck, Slugs.
Depends what I can afford...I know gun battles will happen im sure but few and far between thats where the ammo gets chewed up fast. Its the only way I could think of to guage ammo stocks. what do you think?
I really dont expect to shoot more than a few rounds of whatever a week for hunting and critter controll.
Now the big question How to pay for all that lead.
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby RoninAmok » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Practice? *NOW* is the time to practice , not *after* TSHTF.

Certain things scream H U M A N S RIGHT HERE , tobacco smoke , a vehicle............and extended practice session with your favorite firearms , not real conducive to keeping a low profile.
RoninAmok

Postby Who is John Gall » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 am

I use the amounts that Rawels listed in his "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It." He has a list in there that I use as a guide. If I remember it was something like 2000 per tactical rifle, 500 per shotgun, 500 per handgun, 700 per hunting rifle, etc. I hold these numbers solely as a guide, something to aim for.

I keep a list of my preps on an Excel spreadsheet, listing the types and number of different ammo. At the bottom I have a running tally of the total and the number from Rawels in the next column. I then have the spread sheet subtract the two in the next column. At a glance I can see where I stand. For example, Rawels suggests 2000 per tactical rifle and I have two 5.56 tactical rifles and 6000 rounds of 5.56. He also suggests 700 rounds per hunting rifle. I have an SKS that I would consider a hunting rifle, but only 500 rounds for it. My spreadsheet reads something like this:

Caliber........Amount on hand.....Amount needed.........Difference
7.62x39.......500....................700.......................-200

Sorry, it is prettier as a spread sheet and the minus sign stands out more.

All of this is factory ammo. I too have started to reload and plan on reloading about 1000 rounds of once fired brass for each of my weapons, to store in addition to the factory ammo.
Who is John Gall

Postby bane5150 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am

Who is John Gall wrote:I use the amounts that Rawels listed in his "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It." He has a list in there that I use as a guide. If I remember it was something like 2000 per tactical rifle, 500 per shotgun, 500 per handgun, 700 per hunting rifle, etc. I hold these numbers solely as a guide, something to aim for.

I keep a list of my preps on an Excel spreadsheet, listing the types and number of different ammo. At the bottom I have a running tally of the total and the number from Rawels in the next column. I then have the spread sheet subtract the two in the next column. At a glance I can see where I stand. For example, Rawels suggests 2000 per tactical rifle and I have two 5.56 tactical rifles and 6000 rounds of 5.56. He also suggests 700 rounds per hunting rifle. I have an SKS that I would consider a hunting rifle, but only 500 rounds for it. My spreadsheet reads something like this:

Caliber........Amount on hand.....Amount needed.........Difference
7.62x39.......500....................700.......................-200

Sorry, it is prettier as a spread sheet and the minus sign stands out more.

All of this is factory ammo. I too have started to reload and plan on reloading about 1000 rounds of once fired brass for each of my weapons, to store in addition to the factory ammo.

You have a link ,wanna check it out...whats the time frame for that amount of ammo (how long is it supposed to last you conservatively)ect..
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am

Here are a few more recommendations.

viewtopic.php?f=731&t=14923&hilit=

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby lee1sfga » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Always one more round. You might think of buying bulk in sealed tins. Usually comes in close to 500rds. Lots cheaper too. Can use these in emergency with a spare weapon buried with them.
lee1sfga

Postby RoninAmok » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Who is John Gall wrote:I use the amounts that Rawels listed in his "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It." He has a list in there that I use as a guide.

That's Rawles not rawels. And take what that pendejo has to say with a large grain of sodium.
RoninAmok

Postby RoninAmok » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:40 pm

lee1sfga wrote:Always one more round. You might think of buying bulk in sealed tins. Usually comes in close to 500rds. Lots cheaper too. Can use these in emergency with a spare weapon buried with them.

Yup.........a disassembled PSL and a couple of the 440 round tins makes for a decent stash that can get you a long way , add a couple of hundred rounds of precision hunting ammo and you're good to go.
RoninAmok

Postby 3ADScout » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Not sure on the amounts but I can tell you that one of my best investments has been ammo. In the early 1990's I was buying .223 for around $3 to $5 a box, depending upon brand those same boxes today are $6 and $12 on average. So at the very least it was a good hedge against inflation and increases in market demand.

I buy good stuff say like Lake City or federal. But I also put away a few case of the brown bear/wolf ammo. I practic with the good and will use that first, but if thing are worse or longer than expected I have the low end stuff just in case. I also reload and tend to think this is the best ammo, factory is really not all that great. For those reloading for their AR's make sure you put a "factory" crimp on your rounds. This will prevent the projectile being pushed deeper into the casing and changing the pressures which could harm your firearm.

Also I look at incindary, armor pircing and tracer rounds. I have also stopped buying FMJ's and now buy HP and soft points for the 223 which will be more effective. I buy 22 ammo when ever I can since I can not reload it.
3ADScout

Postby Argus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 pm

You can never have too much, but balance is also important. You can't eat ammo, or treat a traumatic injury with it, or filter water with it, or repair your vehicle with it, or fix a leaky roof with it. Point being, ammo is great but don't neglect equally important other aspects of your preparations, or you may have to eat it. Accumulate it as a part of your overall prepping budget. Watch your sales and gun shows and you can get deals once in a while, but not like you could 10 years ago.
Argus

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Argus

Postby gun papa » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Laying back a minimum of 500 rd per gun for SHTF. 500 is an easy to attain number. I have heard it said that with 500 well placed shots, you will die from the opprtunistic pestilance created from rotting corpses.
Yes, 500 is not 1000, but 500 rounds of any modern intermediate rifle round can be carried without great fatigue.

Do I possess more than 500 rounds per gun? Sure. Maximums come without ceilings. I am an ammo whore like many.

SHTF at home is easy to amass lots of ammo. Potentially on the run, I can carry what is in my rig as well as 500 rounds in a 30 caliber ammo can that can be set down, or quickly hidden. This weight does not make a drastic difference in the load of gear I carry. Avoiding firefights and "hit and run", is a better reality than blazing away.

Training with your guns often is important. Amassing a training base of ammunition is of greater import. If you are not training, you are not learning the capabilities of the platform. I understand that many are not afforded the 24 hour limitless training luxury that I am fortunate enough to have. I can shoot at my liesure. No restrictions. maintaining minimums and maintaining enough training ammo is a difficulty. I do not worry too much about rotation though. I just finished shoooting the last of my .223 that I loaded in 1996 without any surprises.
gun papa

Postby IR8CAJUN » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I like to keep around 10K rounds of 223 on hand, as does most of my family. Get yourself some green tipped rounds......never know when you might have to shoot through an engine block.
IR8CAJUN

Postby River Falls Guy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:51 am

Where are you storing this stuff? The weight alone would buckle most basement floors. God help you if a fire ever occurs. 17,000 rounds of .223/5.56? I hope you have a bunker carved into the side of a hill. Most (90%) of my extras are in a rental unit several miles away from where I live. At most I keep 2000 rounds of 5.56 on stripper clips in bandoliers in 2 .50 caliber ammo boxes. I also have 5,000 rounds of 7.62X39 in a 40mm ammo can. God help me if a fire ever breaks out here. Moving most of this stuff to a safer location tomorrow.

River Falls Guy.
River Falls Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Guns