• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Pistol Caliber Carbine question.

Topics about guns

Pistol Caliber Carbine question.

Postby RayMac1963 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Anybody have one? what do you think?

I been thinking about getting on for a while and there is a gun show coming Saturday. A 9mm would fit well in my weapons plan since i already have the Ammo. This is my "candidate for consideration list" at this point...

Just Right Carbine, feels like a "AR" and takes Glock mags even the 33 round sticks (thats a big plus)
Hi-Point 995ts, mags are 10 rounds, but it so cheap i can buy two for the same money, kind an ugly duck.
Beretta CX storm, Cadillac of the bunch and looks like it, but still only a 15 round max

All of them have been around and have the first generation bugs worked out now so i'm not too worried about reliability.
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know who's house you'll be running to for protection" - TheYankeeMarshal

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Re: Pistol Caliber Carbine question.

Postby Everyman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I have Cx4 and just love it. More importantly the two women that make up our small prepper group just adore the thing. They won't touch the other long guns.
It is the most comfortable and intuitive weapon I've ever fired.

I tried firing a High point it was ok and then I tried to buy one but they were so popular that I think that there was a 6000 gun back order, so I bought the Cx4 instead...boy am I glad I did.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Everyman, That one is completely reversible right? My Daughter is a southpaw, she loves the M&P 15-22 i got her, but hates the way the ejection port makes her hold it. I need to fact or that in too. Appreciate the input.
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know who's house you'll be running to for protection" - TheYankeeMarshal

RayMac1963

Postby Everyman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:Everyman, That one is completely reversible right? My Daughter is a southpaw, she loves the M&P 15-22 i got her, but hates the way the ejection port makes her hold it. I need to fact or that in too. Appreciate the input.

Completely.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby gmc49 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 pm

kel-tec sub 2000 can be ordered in a few platfoms glock,beretta ,sig ,sw.9mmand 40cal .i am waiting for mine to come in ordered it in beretta 92 platform ordered 5 -30 mags for it also i own a 92 already ,and have 17rd mags for it and of course they are interchangeable they will complement each other well
ammo - the currency for survival
some people are always trying to ice skate up hill
remember it is not if but when " creek stewert"
gmc49
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Gmc looked at the Kel tec, but i think its not a good looking gun. I know that shouldn't matter, but i hate the way the stock looks. Honestly its probably the best choice but i cant force myself to put it on my list. :(

RayMac1963

Postby JeepmasterJohn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:13 pm

I have the HiPoint 995TS...9mm. With a Tasco Red dot and the front iron sight co-witnessed to the red dot. It's fun to take to the range and plink. It's also +P rated and allows me to share ammo with my 9mm pistol. There are accessories available for it as well. It used to be an inexpensive option...but prices are going up, and availability is going down due to demand. If you already have a 3-gun setup (Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun), it's definately a good option on a budget. Lifetime warranty. I don't think the TS is ugly at all...now, the older Monkey Gun version, yeah, that was positively Planet of the Apes stuff...

Oh, the guys at the range who give me trouble about my HiPoint 9mm pistol have nothing but respect and good things to say about the carbine. The ONLY problem I had with it? The factory Trigger lock! Don't use it, buy a good Remington lock...or a good Gun Safe!
JeepmasterJohn
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby ShotgunBlast » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:Gmc looked at the Kel tec, but i think its not a good looking gun. I know that shouldn't matter, but i hate the way the stock looks. Honestly its probably the best choice but i cant force myself to put it on my list. :(

Man, you really want to take another look at the Sub2000. 4 pounds of fun with some big Glock mags. Gonna be hard pressed to find a gun with an AR-style stock and still fold up.

ShotgunBlast

Postby BK in KC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 pm

I have a Hi-Point 4595 in .45ACP and I love it. It's reliable and accurate and a nice compromise between a handgun and an AR. Also, Pro-Mag now has 14-round mags available for it so you're not stuck with just the 9-round factory mags. I'm pretty sure Pro-Mag makes higher capacity mags for the 9mm and .40 version of the Hi-Point carbine as well.

Good luck finding one right now though, anything that even resembles a so-called "assault weapon" is flying of the shelves.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions."

--James Lileks
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 am

BK, that is exactly why i'll be at the Novi Gun show a 9 am Saturday when they open... I go every time so i know the layout. A quick walk of the floor to the bigger dealers to see what they have, but 10 I'll be filling out paperwork with one of them on something.

I'm also picking up another pistol permit on the way to work, so if all else fails I'll just buy another Glock 17.

RayMac1963

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 am

ShotgunBlast wrote:
RayMac1963 wrote:Gmc looked at the Kel tec, but i think its not a good looking gun. I know that shouldn't matter, but i hate the way the stock looks. Honestly its probably the best choice but i cant force myself to put it on my list. :(

Man, you really want to take another look at the Sub2000. 4 pounds of fun with some big Glock mags. Gonna be hard pressed to find a gun with an AR-style stock and still fold up.

I wish i could like this gun... :'(

And Jeepmaster, To me the Hi-Point is like beer, its an "acquired taste". Kind of funny looking but i happen to like it too.

RayMac1963

Postby JerryTheViking » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34 pm

HiPoint .45ACP Carbine, with a $125 red dot sight in place of the stock sights, a laser and white light at the front end..... it's accurate at 200 yds with adequate ballistics using Hornady 200 grain TAP+P ammo. Love mine!
Viking Heritage, Patriot Always!
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby JeepmasterJohn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Acquired taste or not, it's a blast to plink with! Also have the Flashlight/integrated laser tucked up under the barrel (Laser is also set up to co-witness the front site) Added a front grip and additional side rails, and the rear two-mag clips & the compensator on the barrel (Not in picture). Only thing I still want to get for it is a nice black paracord sling.

JeepmasterJohn

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:55 pm

A blast to shoot. I can believe that!

RayMac1963

Postby condomain » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 am

Everyman wrote:I have Cx4 and just love it. More importantly the two women that make up our small prepper group just adore the thing. They won't touch the other long guns.
It is the most comfortable and intuitive weapon I've ever fired.

I tried firing a High point it was ok and then I tried to buy one but they were so popular that I think that there was a 6000 gun back order, so I bought the Cx4 instead...boy am I glad I did.

Envy! I have been wanting a CX4 in 9mm for ages, and no LGS can get it for me.

Anyway, IMHO it is the best carbine to get.

However, note that I will shoot 223 if possible and go to 9mm only if I am out of 223, and the CX4 would be better than trying to land a shot with handguns. For anyone considering carbines, be sure you do not make the mistake of thinking the pistol caliber is comparable to a rifle caliber. There is no comparison. 223 even trumps .45 (*ducks*).
condomain

Next

Return to Guns