• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Holly Cow! That sheep just got an AR

Topics about guns

Holly Cow! That sheep just got an AR

Postby TheLonelyPrepper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I was at a local gun range yesterday and was shocked to walk in around noon and find the store with more than 40(!) customers all buying guns.
Normally I'm all for guns and people owning guns but to see a bunch of office guys joking around about who got a 9mm and who got a 45 and turn around and ask the seller which is a more common caliber and back to a "where do you want to eat" conversation was not comfortable. That wasn't as bad as the seller showing an AR15 to a 50ish guy explaining where the charging handle is and where the safety is and then say, "great, lets get you in line for the paperwork" :shock:

Call me old fashion but if you need someone to show you where the charging handle is, maybe AR is not the right kind of weapon for you to start with...

I also heard the paperwork guy goes "so it's just these three firearms for you today?" :?

Here is my 2 cents, I think that the easy access to deadly weapons are not caused by the lack of assault weapons ban. It's because of all the TALKING about assault weapons ban. Causing the chaos and panic shopping of people that didn't even plan on buying a gun. What if that 50 y.o. Guy has a stupid 14 y.o. Teenager that will get a hold of the AR and go to school with it? Do you think this guy has a safe at home to keep this gun away and safe?

Every established site out there that sells guns has a message posted about delays, overload, back orders or flat out out of stock!

Yah I know I jump to conclusions here and that guy could be a long time hunter that wanted to upgrade from a bolt action to semi auto but the shopping spree of the sheep kinda scares me. :eek:
Stay safe and be prepared,
The Lonely Prepper

My blog: http://www.TheLonelyPrepper.com
TheLonelyPrepper
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: Holly Cow! That sheep just got an AR

Postby prepperman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm

I mentioned this in a post earlier today and the reaction I got was that people are more afraid of driving on the highways that inexperienced people with guns - I don't get that mind set - I'm with you -
prepperman

Postby Gunns » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Well you could look at it in another way. What happens next year with all those who bought those guns and they guns scare the hell out of them? Maybe we can pick up some cheap AR's next year?

Don't call me a sheep or sheep dog or a wolf. I am Tiger and eat all three.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby TheLonelyPrepper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:07 pm

The 50 y.o. Inexperienced guy doesn't really scare me himself. It's the fact that his new AR will now be accessible to others that do. I don't think there can be a ban that would prevent something as horrible as the CT shooting from happening.
The kid was 20 y.o. And grew in a house full of guns. He trained and I'm sure he knew everything about guns safety. Crazy people you can't predict just like suicide bombers. He had glocks and these come with 33rds mags these days, will they be less efficient than an AR, not in that case. Any trained shooter with 2 glocks having 33rds mags in each can do as much if more damage than with an AR.
The Lonely Prepper

TheLonelyPrepper
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Bilbo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:13 pm

So would you recommend mandatory safety and useage training for people purchasing guns like this?
Bilbo

Postby TheLonelyPrepper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Bilbo wrote:So would you recommend mandatory safety and useage training for people purchasing guns like this?

That's not such a bad idea. You could get Leo, military and CHL/CPL holders exceptions. I do think training is a good idea regardless if its mandatory or not.
The Lonely Prepper

TheLonelyPrepper
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby RVAprepper2319 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 pm

It's such a tough subject, because you have public safety and private rights at a crossroads. Do you require everyone to register for a safety course, thus putting their names in a data base (you know they would make one)? Or do you let people have the choice to take one or not? Personally I'm in the choice crowd, but I see difficulty in requiring gun owners to do anything safety wise. SHOULD evey gun owner have a safe and have their guns locked up? I know I do. But you can't simply force people to do everything one way.

There should be personal responsibility to take care of your firearms. I just don't see a way to do that without over-reaching government regulation. Sometimes I think you have to hope people get the hint and take some responsibility. I know...asking alot. Either way its a very tough call.
The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
RVAprepper2319
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby rjburk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:34 pm

More AR's to pickup and use from the corpse's or buy for nothing later......all good.
rjburk

Postby USMCWife2010 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:44 pm

RVAprepper2319 wrote:It's such a tough subject, because you have public safety and private rights at a crossroads. Do you require everyone to register for a safety course, thus putting their names in a data base (you know they would make one)? Or do you let people have the choice to take one or not? Personally I'm in the choice crowd, but I see difficulty in requiring gun owners to do anything safety wise. SHOULD evey gun owner have a safe and have their guns locked up? I know I do. But you can't simply force people to do everything one way.

There should be personal responsibility to take care of your firearms. I just don't see a way to do that without over-reaching government regulation. Sometimes I think you have to hope people get the hint and take some responsibility. I know...asking alot. Either way its a very tough call.

Agreed. It's as tough a call as deciding whether or not someone (individual, institution or otherwise) has the power to detain a mentally ill person against their will. Our government and their obliging sheeple want to fix life's problems with the band-aid of tougher government regulation or stricter laws, but at best that would treat only the symptom (and in my humble opinion would not even fix the symptom). The actual problem is our ignorance, lack of self control, and feelings of entitlement which pervade us as a society. Until we take responsibility for our individual selves, until we take responsibility for raising our children to be law-abiding, morally-upright citizens, until we stop enabling the lazy to remain lazy, and until we realize that evil is evil and some evil people can not be "treated" with psychiatric help or an indefinite prison sentence (waste of taxpayer money), then we are going to keep having these problems. Ban ARs. Ban all guns. We'll still have criminals - armed or not - because the problem is that our society is morally corrupt.

[/soapbox rant]
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Fortune favors the well-prepared.

P!
USMCWife2010

Postby TheLonelyPrepper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:48 pm

RVAprepper2319 wrote:It's such a tough subject, because you have public safety and private rights at a crossroads. Do you require everyone to register for a safety course, thus putting their names in a data base (you know they would make one)? Or do you let people have the choice to take one or not? Personally I'm in the choice crowd, but I see difficulty in requiring gun owners to do anything safety wise. SHOULD evey gun owner have a safe and have their guns locked up? I know I do. But you can't simply force people to do everything one way.

Well, they force you to register and do a class to get a permit. You have to pay $200 tax and wait forever for a class 3 why not apply it elsewhere?
I'm not saying the government should, I just say they can.

To me gun control shouldn't be about "no guns" it should be more about responsibility and safety. The first one, you can NEVER achieve. The second, although hard, is possible.
The Lonely Prepper

TheLonelyPrepper
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Bilbo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:08 pm

TheLonelyPrepper wrote:

Well, they force you to register and do a class to get a permit. You have to pay $200 tax and wait forever for a class 3 why not apply it elsewhere?

To me gun control shouldn't be about "no guns" it should be more about responsibility and safety. The first one, you can NEVER achieve. The second, although hard, is possible.

Thank you for not crucifying me for asking the question. :D

Personally, I think it would be a good idea. We require people to have training and pass a test in order to drive a car legally. And you can't even register a car without insurance. So I don't personally think it would stomp on individuals' rights to make a gun purchaser receive training.
Bilbo

Postby Goatsnchickens » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Ohh I dunno
just wait till they run the 5th or 6th mag thru it and that piece of crap malfunctions, will they have a clue how to fix it? Prolly not, back to the gun store, semi new AR for sale. I carried one of those rediculous weapons for years as I am sure all you vets did and Im sorry folks but they suck, most any grunt will tell you that for free. So go yuppie go , go get yourself a plastic rifle.
Distance shooting 30-06, mid 30-30, up close and personal 12ga shotgun nice for crowd control and back up pistol 9mm and 380 respectively.
Could these bozos hurt someone in the process sure and that is sad but hey just think how many of those plastic rifles will on the market December 22nd after the world has not ended.Yuppies with guns Ive seen it and its not pretty its almost laughable watching an overgrown child play armyman with trophy wife in tow her face telling the story of dissaproval and how much he's gonna pay for this later. LOL
Goatsnchickens

Postby RVAprepper2319 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:56 pm

TheLonelyPrepper wrote:

I agree with you that there should be classes and safety training for all firearm purchases. Maybe a better idea would be to have each store have there own class however many times a week and people do not get their firearms until they take the class. Either way it should be up to the individuals selling and buying the arms, NOT the Government.
The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
RVAprepper2319

Postby Das Sheep » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:21 pm

I was teaching my friends wife how to shoot. She had never even touched a gun before, and inside of maybe 30 seconds understood how to charge an AR and shoot it. By the end of the day she was pretty much an expert on how to shoot an AR, a 10/22, a .357 revolver, a SR9c, a Mosin and some other guns I am probably forgetting.

I have showed many other friends how to shoot too.

Its not complicated.

Safety is easy. Treat it like its loaded, don't point it at other people unless you want them to be dead.

There is no need, none at all, for more rules and red tape. I started shooting when I was very young, and it was easy then, and it is still easy now. An AR is not a space shuttle. The charging handle, mag release and safety are all pretty easy to figure out if you do not have serious learning challenges, and they can be easily explained when you buy it.
Das Sheep
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby BK in KC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:29 pm

The last thing we need is to give the government bureaucrats yet another tool to chip away at our RIGHT, enumerated in the Constitution, to bear arms.
:thumbdown:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

What part of that is unclear to you?

Stop it with the gun snobbery.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions."

--James Lileks
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Next

Return to Guns