• Advertisement

Handgun recommendation requested

Topics about guns

Handgun recommendation requested

Postby AuntBee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 pm

I am (finally!) getting my pistol permit. NY requires that you buy your gun of choice first and include the original receipt with your application to the judge. Of course, you don't have physical possession of the gun, you just get to pay for it. Seems bassackwards to me, but I'm sure the brilliant minds in Albany have their reasons.

I'm thinking about either a Browning Buckmark .22 or a Ruger SR22. Any thoughts on these or any other? Reviews said these were easy on arthritic hands and had no recoil to cause old ladies to fall over and break a hip. Seriously. That's what one review said. I'm not worried about tipping over, but my hands are a problem sometimes.

Aunt Bee
Discovered using VPN to fake an IP from Zambia blocks access to these forums. :x
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Re: Handgun recommendation requested

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Bee - soooooo glad to see you back here. You were most definitely missed!

Congrats on getting your license. I'm so glad I don't live in NY! Geeze......you'd think they don't want folks to get their CPL or something.

Anyways.....I highly recommend the Buckmark. It was my first pistol purchase and I love it! It is easy to use and it's uber accurate. I have a Ruger also, but it's not a 22 cal, so I can't really comment on that one. The salesman persuaded me into the Buckmark when I was deciding on my first pistol. I'm glad he did. He said his wife had one and was super happy with it. Everyone in my family likes to target shoot with it because you always hit the target and you don't get wrist fatigue. It's definitely a favorite around here for sure.
angie_nrs

Postby Blondie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Try out a few handguns at a local range before deciding. Also consider how you'll carry, on your person or in a handbag. It's an investment.

.22 doesn't have a lot of stopping power, JMHO.

Welcome back from Zambia :p
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby SuburbPrepper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi AuntBee,

I have the Ruger SR22 and I love it. Don't do what I did and order an extra magazine because it comes with two and the magazines are expensive (I think it was about $36 for the extra mag). I didn't realize it came with two when I ordered it, so my mistake. Also, I recommend the 4 inch barrel. I shot one with a shorter barrel (I think it was 3.5 inch), but I liked the 4 inch barrel more. I realize it's personal preference and depends on what you want it for (e.g. CC), but the feel / balance / accuracy was just better with the 4 inch barrel for me. If you have a chance, shoot both and see what you think. It is extremely easy to field strip and clean and it has a de-cocking mechanism that is very handy. You can de-cock it to carry it for DA for the first shot, with SA for subsequent shots. The magazines have a thumb pull tab on the outside of the magazine to pull the spring down, which makes them extremely easy to load. I know for a .22, mag loading is easy anyway, but it is a nice feature, especially for someone who might struggle a little with loading a conventional mag for whatever reason.
SuburbPrepper

Postby eochief66 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Bee, I just found this and thought it might help.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showth ... p?t=704490
eochief66

Postby anita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi Bee, I took a class at the local range and they let us shoot their S&W 1911 revolver (I think) and a Ruger .22 semi-auto. I went in convinced I didn't want a semi-auto and came out wanting the Ruger.

I would see if you can shoot a couple and it will help.
anita

Postby sageprice » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Hey Bee I was looking for a hand gun for my wife. I was told that I should never pick a hand gun for my wife. This was most adamant among female shooters. I should take her to a gun shop and let her choose. The feel of the grip, the weigh of the pistol, the trigger pull and how it responds to her when she fire it, are all up to her. DO NOT let someone else decide for you. Their choice is 'theirs' alone and never yours. Who knows maybe you will want a 45 mag.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Bee, you got to have friends, relatives, etc. that have pistols, ask them to let you shoot them, see how you like it.

I agree that a .22 doesn't have much take down power, BUT I'm darn sure I don't want to get hit by one, it will cause the aggressor to have some serious pain and wish they were dead.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Granted, a 22 LR isn't a 45 but at close range it will pass right through a human body or a skull. It can do damage at over a mile if you are unfortunate enough to get hit by a misplaced or errant shot. There are many reported incidents of this happening. The thing about a magazine fed 22 is they are prone to jamming due to that rimmed cartridge and also because of improper, or incomplete primer deposits in the rim. I have misfires all the time especially with new ammunition manufactured in places like Australia. John Browning developed the 25 caliber ACP cartridge for more positive feeding in a magazine fed semi auto pistol. There is no rim on the 25 to cause feeding problems and the 25 fires a slightly heavier projectile. More reliable for a carry gun.
Fullmoon

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 pm

AuntBee wrote:I am (finally!) getting my pistol permit. NY requires that you buy your gun of choice first and include the original receipt with your application to the judge. Of course, you don't have physical possession of the gun, you just get to pay for it. Seems bassackwards to me, but I'm sure the brilliant minds in Albany have their reasons.

I'm thinking about either a Browning Buckmark .22 or a Ruger SR22. Any thoughts on these or any other? Reviews said these were easy on arthritic hands and had no recoil to cause old ladies to fall over and break a hip. Seriously. That's what one review said. I'm not worried about tipping over, but my hands are a problem sometimes.

Aunt Bee
Discovered using VPN to fake an IP from Zambia blocks access to these forums. :x

Both Browning and Ruger are excellent brands. If you were getting a revolver I would say go with Ruger and if you were going with a break open shotgun I would say go with Browning but since what you're looking at is semi autos I am not sure what I would say except I have heard some negative reviews on Ruger semi autos as unusual as that is since just about anything Ruger makes is usually high quality. Nevertheless I have heard some bad stuff about Ruger semi automatic handguns. How accurate that bad stuff is I don't know. I do own a Ruger LC9 which is a semi automatic handgun and I haven't had any problems with it but I haven't used it that much. By looking at the designs of both guns to me the Buckmark looks more like a target pistol and the SR22 looks like its better suited for concealed carry, although less accurate. I would recommend if possible to try out both guns before making a choice as to which one to buy and see which one you like better. :)
Photon Guy

Postby BK in KC » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 pm

If this is intended to be a defensive firearm in .22 I strongly recommend you go with a revolver. .22 is not the most reliable round and if it fails to fire in a semi-automatic then you have a stoppage that will require you to do the old "tap and rack" drill but if it fails to fire in a revolver just pull the trigger again. Failure to fire is much more common in .22 than in any center-fire caliber so it's an issue you must consider. Your life depends on it.

Having said that, Ruger and Smith & Wesson make the best affordable revolvers in the world. Period. Pick one of those two brands and you're good to go. If you want a specific recommendation I say the Ruger SP101 with a 4.2" barrel is a great choice for a home defense handgun in .22. It holds 8 rounds and the barrel length is long enough to get good velocity from the round. For a couple hundred dollars more the S&W M617 holds 10 rounds. Either one of those is a great choice.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Good to see you back
Both are very well made handguns i like my Rugers but i like my Browning also .
The handgun must fit your hand you will know it just by the feel . compare it to a pair of shoes your feet know that the shoes were just made to fit but that other pair was just not quite right .
As for the little 22 it will do the job real well . It's like a pinball game ball , it will bounce all around an cause a lot of damage or a head shot will scramble the noodle .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby handyman777 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:40 am

Both guns are good choices,I would lean towards the Browning-for semi-auto. Have you looked at a Walther p-22, also a nice gun.
Like BK said, a 22 semi can give you problems and the only time this happens is when you need it the most. For a first or reliable 22, I would look at a revolver... S&W, airlite's - in a 22 are nice but pricey.
Glad to see you back :thumbsup:
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 am

Aunt Bee,
Have you personally handled either of those hand guns? The ergonomics should be your deciding factor. Best if you can take one out and put a box or three of ammunition through it.
Some of those will have aftermarket grips that may feel more comfortable or give you better control.
I have shot a .22LR Ruger revolver. It was nice, but the grip was way too small for me. It may fit better in your hands if you choose to go that route.
As for failure to fire, if you use quality ammunition will mitigate some if not all of those issues.
And, keep it reasonably clean.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby BK in KC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 am

Cast Iron wrote: As for failure to fire, if you use quality ammunition will mitigate some if not all of those issues.
And, keep it reasonably clean.

I have experienced failure to fire even with premium match-grade .22 ammo. Better ammo does help but rimfire is inherently less reliable than center-fire ammo. It's just a fact.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC

Next

Return to Guns