Page 2 of 2

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:33 pm
by angie_nrs
Thanks for the comments everyone! I may have been overthinking this one a bit. I'm going to grab some ammo cans and diversify my storage. I'm sure I've got ammo stored that will outlast me......at least I hope so. I guess my main concerns should be theft, water, and fire. Storing ammo in different places and in different types of containers should mitigate these concerns, so that's my plan.

If nothing else at least it's a good investment as the price is going nowhere but up. I also think there's a day coming in the not so distant future where all ammo purchases will have to be logged or registered. I'm stocking up now while it's still legal and cash is still king.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:24 pm
by Photon Guy
angie_nrs wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone! I may have been overthinking this one a bit. I'm going to grab some ammo cans and diversify my storage. I'm sure I've got ammo stored that will outlast me......at least I hope so. I guess my main concerns should be theft, water, and fire. Storing ammo in different places and in different types of containers should mitigate these concerns, so that's my plan.

If nothing else at least it's a good investment as the price is going nowhere but up. I also think there's a day coming in the not so distant future where all ammo purchases will have to be logged or registered. I'm stocking up now while it's still legal and cash is still king.


Good for you in getting the ammo cans, I doubt you will regret it. The ammo cans work just fine for me and as I said before you can use them to store ammo indefinitely. As for theft, water, and fire, if you've got the money you could buy a high quality safe and use it to store not just ammo but guns as well as the safes are designed primarily for storing guns but can obviously be used to store ammo too and just about anything else you want to keep safe, jewelry, important documents, ect. I've got a liberty safe myself. You want to do your research before buying a safe if you plan to do that, find the one that's the best for your money, that's the hardest to break into and that has the highest fire rating. As for water, if your area is prone to flooding Im afraid the safes aren't watertight. Safes will even collect moisture inside so its a good idea to get one of those small dehumidifiers that you can put in the safe. Keep up the good work.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 am
by ReadyMom
So ... Coincidentally, as this thread is in discussion, this week, I was at my 86 y/o dad's house. Sorting every room, in preparation to downsize him from our family home. I came across this box of ammo. Do I save? Is it safe? I found it just sitting on his closet shelf! Circa mid 1960's:
image-54701.jpeg
image-54709.jpeg
image-54695.jpeg
image-54688.jpeg
image-54673.jpeg
image-54682.jpeg

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am
by handyman777
I'll buy them from you RM !!! They will (probably-maybe) shoot OK, but they are more of a collector item. To bad the main box is damaged.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm
by TRex2
angie_nrs wrote:Do I need to buy ammo cans for proper ammo storage or can I use food buckets? There are cheap plastic plano ammo cans at WM for around $5, but I can get food grade buckets free. Right now I store ammo in the house where it is dry, but I want to expand where I store ammo. The temperature may not be as steady in my secondary spot, possibly causing condensation issues.

I know I couldn't fill the buckets b/c they would be way too heavy, even with the smaller 2 gallon buckets, but at least they would be hidden from plain sight. I'm thinking it would make sense to put the silica packs in with the buckets?

I didn't see a thread specifically addressing ammo storage so I thought this would be a good discussion to have. Let's discuss......
As far as keeping the ammo from condensation, the buckets should work fine. As far as the temperature, as long as the temperature in the buckets doesn't exceed 130 Fahrenheit or get cold enough to condense moisture in the bucket it will be fine (you might want to add one of those desiccant packs).

As for a reason you might want to use the metal cans instead of the buckets is this: ammo tends to self ignite (cook off) around 270 degrees (or higher), and if there is a fire, the metal cans give a margin of safety that they buckets do not. That, ease of transport, and making it easy for you to remember where your ammo is are the only reasons I can think of.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:13 pm
by Photon Guy
TRex2 wrote:As far as keeping the ammo from condensation, the buckets should work fine. As far as the temperature, as long as the temperature in the buckets doesn't exceed 130 Fahrenheit or get cold enough to condense moisture in the bucket it will be fine (you might want to add one of those desiccant packs).

As for a reason you might want to use the metal cans instead of the buckets is this: ammo tends to self ignite (cook off) around 270 degrees (or higher), and if there is a fire, the metal cans give a margin of safety that they buckets do not. That, ease of transport, and making it easy for you to remember where your ammo is are the only reasons I can think of.


Ease of transport and ease of storage are good reasons for using the metal cans instead of buckets. Aside from that, metal cans are definitely better for long term storage.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:12 pm
by Captain belly
I bought ammo cans from a surplus store and they fit PERFECT in a filing cabinet that I bought from a surplus store. I also welded a nice locking mechanism for the filing cabinet.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 pm
by John Galt 1
Something to conceder. If your home ever burns and the ammo starts cooking off the fire department is not going to work to hard to save your home. What ammo that doesn't fit in the fire resistant gun safe along with my reloading powders is stored in a steel work site box in a metal shed.

I also keep all propane and gas cans away from the house.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 pm
by Illini Warrior
a plus for using buckets is that if you are dispersing your ammo supply - a bucket with a gamma lid will give you quik access and will blend in nicely with the rest of your bucketed long term food storage and other bucket protected gear ....

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm
by Cast Iron
Illini Warrior wrote:a plus for using buckets is that if you are dispersing your ammo supply - a bucket with a gamma lid will give you quik access and will blend in nicely with the rest of your bucketed long term food storage and other bucket protected gear ....


Label them
BEANS+
??


I look at it this way, a 5gal bucket is more multi-purpose than a ammo can.
You can sit on one.
Ferment apples to make hard cider.
You can haul water/or nearly anything else.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm
by straightshooter
Repackbox.com is a good source for new, mil-spec ammo cans. Fresh gaskets and tight seals on the lids, not rusted or dented. Their cans really are brand spankin' new. But not cheap. I think I paid about $16 each with shipping when I bought my last case of 'em.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:11 pm
by Cast Iron
a 5gal bucket with lid is about $5.

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm
by Illini Warrior
Cast Iron wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:a plus for using buckets is that if you are dispersing your ammo supply - a bucket with a gamma lid will give you quik access and will blend in nicely with the rest of your bucketed long term food storage and other bucket protected gear ....


Label them
BEANS+
??


I look at it this way, a 5gal bucket is more multi-purpose than a ammo can.
You can sit on one.
Ferment apples to make hard cider.
You can haul water/or nearly anything else.



you "code" label them so it's not soooo obvious to anyone else that happens to see your cache(s) - a good many of my buckets are used and have old product label on them ... I recommend if your going to hide an ammo cache or other valuables you use an old paint bucket or disguise a new one - mix it in with your home maintenance & tools ....