• Advertisement

Buying as AR-15

Topics about guns

Buying as AR-15

Postby HVACR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:58 pm

My wife has given me permission to buy a AR15. I haven't bought one yet. When I have the money saved I find another house to buy instead.

I just don't know what I am looking for. I went to a gun show in OKC about 2 weeks ago. I saw AR15's from $600 to over $1700. I don't know what I am looking for or looking at? What is a good brand, make, or features? What makes them vary so muck in price?

General or pacific information would be great.

Thanks
HVACR.
HVACR
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Re: Buying as AR-15

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:16 pm

HVACR wrote:My wife has given me permission to buy a AR15. I haven't bought one yet. When I have the money saved I find another house to buy instead.

I just don't know what I am looking for. I went to a gun show in OKC about 2 weeks ago. I saw AR15's from $600 to over $1700. I don't know what I am looking for or looking at? What is a good brand, make, or features? What makes them vary so muck in price?

General or pacific information would be great.

Thanks
HVACR.

just questioning whether a AR-15 is what's best for you at the prepper stage you're at ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby HVACR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 pm

I am not sure of what the question is or what type of answer you want.

I have a BOL location. I have a decent stock pile of food. I have a gun safe with a couple of shotguns and a couple pistols. Starting the next phase of the operation. Gathering fuel and cooking equipment. Will also be gathering odds and ends around food. IE dishs, pot and pans, disposable plates and silver ware ect.

Still needing to get a water source worked out, buy I have a few ideas for that.

I do hope this information helps.

HVACR
HVACR

Postby rickdun » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:24 pm

I wouldn't recommend what model of AR to get, but whatever model you get, get one that's 5.56/223, as it will shoot either round.

Talk to someone you trust that has AR's and ask if you can shoot them and see what you like and what they would recommend. A lot depends on how much you really want to invest in one.

I have numerous AR's and they are all the same make and model, only because the parts are interchangeable, if one goes down, plus I have spare parts.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 pm

I second Rickdun's suggestion on a 5.56/.223 capable model.

Otherwise specific recommendations are for me a bit like giving out car or movie recommendations.

If you want lots of input and opinion on AR platforms you might want to take a look at the ar15.com forum, and/or take a look at some You Tube reviews. Those exercises do entail applying a common sense filter to what you see, hear and read.

Best of luck with what you decide on.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:02 pm

The first military M-16s had a barrel with a 1 in 14" twist and fired a 55 grain jacketed projectile. Modern made rifles went to a 1 in 9", then they changed to a 1 in 8" and now they use a 1 twist in 7 inches to allow better accuracy with heavier bullets. I have a Rock River M-4 carbine with a 1 in 9" twist and its not real accurate, shoots groups of 1 & 1/2" using 55 grain M193 ammunition. I called Rock River and they told me to try a 69 grain bullet and that made a huge difference and tightened up my groups to 3/4". Then recently I bought an Armalite with a 1 in 7" twist. Super accurate rifle with any size bullet. Tighter tolerances, nice rifle. Prices have dropped in the last year and its a good time to get one no matter what you decide on.
Fullmoon

Postby Justmeandher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 am

Whatever you get, make sure it's a black one. I hear those are the most lethal.
Justmeandher
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby HVACR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 am

I was thinking of Nickle Plated. So I can be like the A-Team.

LOL......
HVACR

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I second the suggestion of trying a few different ones before you buy one. There may be features you decide you really like, or ones you don't need, but know what your options are and getting hands on is best. There are really too many options to just make a general suggestion.
Stahlrosen

Postby HVACR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 am

Fullmoon, thank you for the information. That is some of the information I am looking for. Also I didn't know that the 5.56 and the .223 were different rounds. I guess they are real close to each other. The guy at the gun store said that .223 only guns were cheap and to stay away from them.

HVACR.
HVACR

Postby rickdun » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 am

HVACR wrote:Fullmoon, thank you for the information. That is some of the information I am looking for. Also I didn't know that the 5.56 and the .223 were different rounds. I guess they are real close to each other. The guy at the gun store said that .223 only guns were cheap and to stay away from them.

HVACR.

HVACR, I think the guy at your gun store may be misleading ya about the .223 only rifles being cheap and to stay away from them. They are as accurate as the 5.56/.223. But of course you can buy cheap ones and suffer the consequences, just like you can buy cheap 5.56/.223's. You get what you pay for. The 5.56 round is more powerful than the .223 though.

The best advice I can give you is before making your decision, go some place that lets you shoot one, both a .223 and a 5.56/.223 and make up your own mind. Don't let me or that gun shop guy make up your mind, get the hands on and shoot one for yourself.

Good luck with the choice you make.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby hancockcounty » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Nice to see all of the humble and well rounded reply's.
I have.....4 ar's currently and am building (one piece at a time) a 300 blackout.
My first Ar was a Daniels defense. DDm4V11. All in all it is the gun I have decieded to train with and beat the snot out of. Partly because it has a CHF (cold hammer forged) barrel chambered in 5.56 and can take the abbuse. Two of my others are Stainless barrels and can only handle 10k rounds approx maybe more. My second purchase was a JP. JP is an awesome manufacture. But I mostly like their bolt carrier and buffer spring. Their buffer spring is a MUST have upgrade. In hindsight I would not have bought the JP. The barrel is a .223 wylde stainless rated for both but shorter life span. Very nice, very accurate, but nothing more than the daniels defense and twice the cost. My third was an SMOS. Most prob haven't heard of them. These guys use to make all of noveske's parts. Nice gun. Hand guard is to light so I am changing it out. Putting a SLR hand guard on it. And last but not least was my 4th. I recently bought a LWRC IC enhanced "piston gas" driven AR. It has a sic looking twisted barrel chambered in 5.56 that LWRC has tested up to......believe it or not 80,000 rounds! That is number one why I bought it. Then is their piston system. Do some checking on this. Most will tell you all kinds of crap about piston driven guns. Yes the old piston ar's didn't work right, but the revised technoligy is extending barrel life, bolt, bolt carrier, trigger, pin ect. life of the internal parts of the gun. When I shoot my LWRC with my trijicon SRS red dot it is just as accurate if not more than my JP or Daniels. Also the DI only guys will tell you that the produce more recoil. NOT true. And they are cleaner. How much gun oil do you have stocked? Piston needs less oil and cleaning and maintenance. I'm sure those who previously posted since you all were super humble and civil with the brother with the question wont hang me here. Any way. I am not against DI, as I have my daniels and JP. When I shoot them for a whole day they are a dirty mess. And they never misfire. But my LWRC will be my go to battle rifle. And I can count on a huge amount of rounds for it.
Here is a prep tip for all- If you have say....500,000 rounds, which most of us would not, then you would need that many barrels and other spare parts to be able to shoot those rounds. I use that number as an over exaggeration.
So all in all after all of those I have decided to build my own 300 blackout. I am mainly building it for shooting subsonic suppressed. So far I have the SLR upper, SLR lower, SLR handguard, maxim defense butt stock, trigger, and BSF carbon firber fluted 10.5" barrel. It's going to be super slick when said and done. Will be outfitted with trijicon SRS and an aimpoint magnifier and a BE meyers IR laser and Omega 300 suppressor.
Oh. And another recent upgrade I did...well I've tried out a few of the different triggers out there (atc gold, trigger tech, taccon, JP Armageddon) and recently deceided to change all of my triggers out to Gieselle SSA trigger. It is not a single stage and for some reason I really thought that I would not like a two stage trigger for tactical close quarter work, but it is super smooth and you know right when it is going to fire with the two stage. The two stage is barely noticable, yet just enough to help.

So.... my rec would be to just suck it up and get an LWRC IC enhanced and call it good. You barely need to experiment with changing small parts as it is done right in the first place. Maybe a JP silent capture buffer spring. and you can then worry about stock piling green tip! If I could do it all over again that would be my choice. But no sense selling off expensive guns and loosing money. Some day my sons will want one of them and they wont get the LWRC.
Daniels Defense DDM4v11 = $1,400
JP was a wopping $3,200
SMOS= $2,100
LWRC = $2,100
misc awesome parts and other added items... MYOB
bullets on hand.... only my neighbor knows....
hancockcounty

Postby hancockcounty » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 pm

And now.... you guys all sound super humble or you just didn't want to go into details... and I not so much....

Just thought I would shoot out and clarify that my intents were in no way to boast in my guns. Though they are all nice and high quality. I simply was trying to put out there that it has been a long journey and a lot of money spent and I have finally found the right long term SHTF AR15.
Oh, if you do by an LWRC get a few extra pistons as you increase round count. Piston lasts 5-10k rounds. So if you were to buy say 50,000 rounds which is a lot of bullets...then you'd need only one gun, one barrel and 5+ extra pistons and maybe a couple bolts and firing pins. But for most guns if you wanted to blow through that much ammo you'd need that a barrel for every 10k rounds.
hancockcounty

Postby no1uno » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Go check out AR15.com you don't have to sign up for an account just read the technical forums.
Then go to you tube and take some time to watch videos , it will be time consuming but well worth it.
Also I feel bad that you need permission from someone to exercise your constitutional right.
no1uno

Postby Oldrek » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 pm

no1uno wrote:...Also I feel bad that you need permission from someone to exercise your constitutional right.

:rofl: Had to laugh at this one. Either you misunderstood HVACR's post or you're not married. :rofl: :shock: No offense intended :shock:

At least he has the option. Since I'm stuck in the Penal Colony of Clownifornia I am sooo envious of y'all who live in America where you can and do have the option of which AR platform you can buy or how many you can have. We have been neutered to the point of frustration. If I had an AR I'd have to grease it up and cache it somewhere waiting for the SHTF and would not get any training or practice done with it.

So, I say to HVACR, take these fine gentlemen's advise and do some research. Take a test drive on a few and find the one that fits you and your needs the best. It doesn't have to have all the latest and greatest gizmo's on it. Iron sights have been dropping game and humans for a long time. I would say that a good optic and iron back-ups with a flashlight for target ID would be plenty. Anything more than that would be overkill.

Just my 2 cents
Oldrek
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." — Theodore Roosevelt

“Never confuse Motion with Action.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Oldrek

Next

Return to Guns