Page 2 of 2

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:12 pm
by Photon Guy
XxBiohazard78xX wrote:Also, I'm fairly certain that there is a martial arts class here. I never put to much thought into it but you're right about where you can bring weapons compared to where you can bring knowledge and training. I'll see if I can sometime soon hopefully. Going to the gym would be a good idea too because I'm not in shape, the last actual exercise I got was from sports and the occasional work out since then. I should be going to the gym in a month or so, it's good mainly because I'm not too skinny but my arms especially are so I'll see about joining a martial arts class as well as the gym. I'm not looking to become a heap of muscle, just to get in shape and a bit stronger. I'll look into the martial arts class though, Thanks for the advice.


Sure thing. And I would start saving up now for when you're old enough to buy handguns. In some states I believe you can buy handguns at 18 but in most states you have to be 21. This Im against since you can serve in the Army at 18 so therefore you should be able to buy handguns at 18. Anyway I don't know what state you're in or what the laws are in your state but you are most likely looking at 6 years to save up. That might seem like a long time to save but its always good to get a head start. Put some money aside for a future handgun purchase and when you are finally old enough and ready to buy a handgun I would say to have at least a grand saved up if not more. You most likely will not be spending a grand on a handgun, you might be spending half, but by having that much saved up you get many more options and you also have lots of money left over for ammo. And remember, get good training.

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:34 am
by XxBiohazard78xX
Photon Guy wrote:
XxBiohazard78xX wrote:Also, I'm fairly certain that there is a martial arts class here. I never put to much thought into it but you're right about where you can bring weapons compared to where you can bring knowledge and training. I'll see if I can sometime soon hopefully. Going to the gym would be a good idea too because I'm not in shape, the last actual exercise I got was from sports and the occasional work out since then. I should be going to the gym in a month or so, it's good mainly because I'm not too skinny but my arms especially are so I'll see about joining a martial arts class as well as the gym. I'm not looking to become a heap of muscle, just to get in shape and a bit stronger. I'll look into the martial arts class though, Thanks for the advice.


Sure thing. And I would start saving up now for when you're old enough to buy handguns. In some states I believe you can buy handguns at 18 but in most states you have to be 21. This Im against since you can serve in the Army at 18 so therefore you should be able to buy handguns at 18. Anyway I don't know what state you're in or what the laws are in your state but you are most likely looking at 6 years to save up. That might seem like a long time to save but its always good to get a head start. Put some money aside for a future handgun purchase and when you are finally old enough and ready to buy a handgun I would say to have at least a grand saved up if not more. You most likely will not be spending a grand on a handgun, you might be spending half, but by having that much saved up you get many more options and you also have lots of money left over for ammo. And remember, get good training.
I applied for a job today so I'll put some money aside for a handgun and I talked to my mom and she said that there are martial arts classes here so once I get a regular schedule I'll start looking into joining it, thanks for the advice it really helps.

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:51 pm
by danthman114
forget the handgun for now, you have plenty of time for that later. my best advise is go to your local fish and game and look into a hunter safety course. reason being is that they teach gun safety. go dove hunting. this will give you the repetition in loading and cycling the shotgun for smooth operation when its needed the most. fumbling around when it counts could cause for a very bad day. use the money for that pistol on 7.5 shot and some .22lr. yes, birdshot not 00 buck. anyone who thinks birdshot isn't a good home defense round is dead wrong.
let me explain alittle further on birdshot. you can buy a dipper and a mould for slugs and 00 buck from lee reloading, some 210 primers and a book on reloading shotshells. youtube has a number of videos on loading black powder in shotshells and casting. so with birdshot you can hunt literally everything from birds to big game, as long as you have the knowledge to do it, and it all starts with hunter safety...

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:41 am
by XxBiohazard78xX
danthman114 wrote:forget the handgun for now, you have plenty of time for that later. my best advise is go to your local fish and game and look into a hunter safety course. reason being is that they teach gun safety. go dove hunting. this will give you the repetition in loading and cycling the shotgun for smooth operation when its needed the most. fumbling around when it counts could cause for a very bad day. use the money for that pistol on 7.5 shot and some .22lr. yes, birdshot not 00 buck. anyone who thinks birdshot isn't a good home defense round is dead wrong.
let me explain alittle further on birdshot. you can buy a dipper and a mould for slugs and 00 buck from lee reloading, some 210 primers and a book on reloading shotshells. youtube has a number of videos on loading black powder in shotshells and casting. so with birdshot you can hunt literally everything from birds to big game, as long as you have the knowledge to do it, and it all starts with hunter safety...
I was thinking of possibly saving for a .30-06 eventually, I've already taken hunter safety, I still have some of the books that was given to me when I took it actually. I'll look into both birdshot and 00 buck. I might also might make some rounds filled with rock salt just as a non-lethal defense. Thanks for the advice.

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm
by danthman114
Don't overlook surplus rifles like the mosin nagant or sks. If your set on 30-06 you can find lower cost fire arms out there.

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:32 pm
by Illini Warrior
XxBiohazard78xX wrote:
danthman114 wrote:forget the handgun for now, you have plenty of time for that later. my best advise is go to your local fish and game and look into a hunter safety course. reason being is that they teach gun safety. go dove hunting. this will give you the repetition in loading and cycling the shotgun for smooth operation when its needed the most. fumbling around when it counts could cause for a very bad day. use the money for that pistol on 7.5 shot and some .22lr. yes, birdshot not 00 buck. anyone who thinks birdshot isn't a good home defense round is dead wrong.
let me explain alittle further on birdshot. you can buy a dipper and a mould for slugs and 00 buck from lee reloading, some 210 primers and a book on reloading shotshells. youtube has a number of videos on loading black powder in shotshells and casting. so with birdshot you can hunt literally everything from birds to big game, as long as you have the knowledge to do it, and it all starts with hunter safety...
I was thinking of possibly saving for a .30-06 eventually, I've already taken hunter safety, I still have some of the books that was given to me when I took it actually. I'll look into both birdshot and 00 buck. I might also might make some rounds filled with rock salt just as a non-lethal defense. Thanks for the advice.



forget the idiotic Granny Clampett bacon rind and rock salt bull - with thinking like that you're going to get yourself killed - you shoot someone its DEAD serious - when the coppers use a non-lethal round there's 20 other back-ups standing by to blow the perp away .... every round is an indispensable & critical defensive tool - no warning shots or shooting to "only wound them" ....

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 pm
by danthman114
Illini Warrior wrote:
XxBiohazard78xX wrote:
danthman114 wrote:forget the handgun for now, you have plenty of time for that later. my best advise is go to your local fish and game and look into a hunter safety course. reason being is that they teach gun safety. go dove hunting. this will give you the repetition in loading and cycling the shotgun for smooth operation when its needed the most. fumbling around when it counts could cause for a very bad day. use the money for that pistol on 7.5 shot and some .22lr. yes, birdshot not 00 buck. anyone who thinks birdshot isn't a good home defense round is dead wrong.
let me explain alittle further on birdshot. you can buy a dipper and a mould for slugs and 00 buck from lee reloading, some 210 primers and a book on reloading shotshells. youtube has a number of videos on loading black powder in shotshells and casting. so with birdshot you can hunt literally everything from birds to big game, as long as you have the knowledge to do it, and it all starts with hunter safety...
I was thinking of possibly saving for a .30-06 eventually, I've already taken hunter safety, I still have some of the books that was given to me when I took it actually. I'll look into both birdshot and 00 buck. I might also might make some rounds filled with rock salt just as a non-lethal defense. Thanks for the advice.



forget the idiotic Granny Clampett bacon rind and rock salt bull - with thinking like that you're going to get yourself killed - you shoot someone its DEAD serious - when the coppers use a non-lethal round there's 20 other back-ups standing by to blow the perp away .... every round is an indispensable & critical defensive tool - no warning shots or shooting to "only wound them" ....


exactly this^^^. if you have to shoot, put them down.

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 pm
by Fyrediver
Regarding defense I'll second the idea to get into martial arts training. Train for when you have no additional tools other than what's in your pocket and you've gone into an airport or courthouse where no knives are allowed. Also, some martial arts teachers will cover stick fighting, staff, etc depending upon style.

Also, if you can harm you should be able to provide first aid and cpr. Take the classes and expand on those.

Finally, not every fight needs lethal response. Having tools like martial arts, pepper spray, pocket flashlight/tactical pen etc that aren't lethal (please note I did NOT include knives -- they are equivalent to firearms and are ALWAYS lethal) gives you the ability to scale your response accordingly. Also, NOT limited by age or many "sterile" environments. I carry a flashlight and metal pen onboard aircraft. Certainly not equivalent to a firearm but does give one some additional force options. Also, I use the light quite frequently.

Regarding firearms take as many classes as you can. I urge people to take an Appleseed course (or ten). Fundamentals carry over to other shooting styles. Also, maybe look into some trap clubs. Action shooting, competition, and a WHOLE lot of fun!

Re: Vital Weapons?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:39 am
by XxBiohazard78xX
Fyrediver wrote:Regarding defense I'll second the idea to get into martial arts training. Train for when you have no additional tools other than what's in your pocket and you've gone into an airport or courthouse where no knives are allowed. Also, some martial arts teachers will cover stick fighting, staff, etc depending upon style.

Also, if you can harm you should be able to provide first aid and cpr. Take the classes and expand on those.

Finally, not every fight needs lethal response. Having tools like martial arts, pepper spray, pocket flashlight/tactical pen etc that aren't lethal (please note I did NOT include knives -- they are equivalent to firearms and are ALWAYS lethal) gives you the ability to scale your response accordingly. Also, NOT limited by age or many "sterile" environments. I carry a flashlight and metal pen onboard aircraft. Certainly not equivalent to a firearm but does give one some additional force options. Also, I use the light quite frequently.

Regarding firearms take as many classes as you can. I urge people to take an Appleseed course (or ten). Fundamentals carry over to other shooting styles. Also, maybe look into some trap clubs. Action shooting, competition, and a WHOLE lot of fun!
Thanks, I found a martial arts/ self defense class that I'm looking to join once I have a steady schedule, they also have a CPR class so I'll take that when I can too. I think I'll start bringing a pocket flashlight or tactical pen to school since, you know, no weapons at school. Also thanks for the not limited to age part, I honestly appreciate it. But yeah thanks for the tips, I never thought about a flashlight as an option of force and I could bring one to school in case SHTF when I'm there or anything like that.