• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Yogurt from powdered milk

Section for the Rhode Island Preppers Network (Sub-Forums are unlocked)

Yogurt from powdered milk

Postby hiddeninplainsight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm

At our meeting yesterday Sasha had expressed interest in my recipe for yogurt made from powdered milk. I thought I would post it here in case anyone else was interested.

3 3/4 cups water
1 2/3 cups powdered milk
3 Tablespoons plain yogurt (store bought or from your last batch)

Whisk together water and powdered milk in the top if a double boiler. Heat slowly stirring often until it reaches 180 degrees. Remove top portion from double boiler and place over cold water until cooled to 115 degrees. Stir in the yogurt. Pour into a glass container (I use a quart jar). Put into a preheated 100 degree oven for about 6-8 hours. I've heard of people also using an open crockpot on the warm setting. WARNING: if your yogurt gets above 115 degrees your culture will die. So check temperature often the first time you do it so you know your oven or crockpot. The longer you let your yogurt sit the thicker it will become. If you want a drinkable yogurt it only takes about 4 hours. You can then add any fruits or whatever you want.

Don't forget to save some for your next batch!
"A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished." Proverbs 22:3
hiddeninplainsight

Re: Yogurt from powdered milk

Postby dogboy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Great! Heating to 180 kills any germs, so that's critical for safety and for making good yogurt. Do you think the same method will work for making sour cream? Different bacteria in your starter material should do the trick.
dogboy

Postby arkieready » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:14 am

Freshly made yogurt is so good for you! As is kefir. Repopulate your gut when you've been ill. Keep your gut flora healthy for strong immunity. I believe some who cannot process milk omfortably can tolerate fermented products.
I love smoothies made with yogurt, banana and honey. Dessert!
Normal (as if) times, I like to make yogurt with canned milk and add dry powdered milk. Makes a very firm yogurt and feels like commercial yogurt. If you have a picky eater, you could fool them. Well, almost, you'd have to add pink food dye to mimic fake strawberry.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby hiddeninplainsight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am

Sour cream is easy to make at home but I don't think it would work with powdered milk (though I've never tried). I make sour cream with 1 cup of heavy cream (I've gone as far as half heavy cream and half whole milk when I was low on cream) put it in a pint jar with about 1/4 cup of store bought sour cream (I used daisy brand to start becasue it's made from just cream and not other additives and thickeners, after that I used some from the last batch). Shake it up and leave it at room temp for a full day. Then refridgerate.

Also as I side note on the yogurt you can convert it into cream cheese really easily. Just put a quart of it into some cheese cloth and place in a colander over a bowl in the refridgerator for about 6 hours. What's left in the cheesecloth can be used plain or mixed with chives, strawberry jam, or cinnamon to make flavored cream cheese. Try using the drained liquid from the cream cheese as the liquid in oatmeal or other places where milk is used. Waste not want not!
"A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished." Proverbs 22:3
hiddeninplainsight

Return to Rhode Island Preppers Network Forum