• Advertisement

Canning tomatoes

Section for the Rhode Island Preppers Network (Sub-Forums are unlocked)

Canning tomatoes

Postby Irish-guy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey everyone
In typical rural fashion, my swamp yankee neighbor just dropped off 4 LARGE bushels of tomatoes for fixing his computer last April. thing is I have never canned anything..... While I never expected this and told him that I could never possibly use them all. He said you'll figure it out. So here goes are there any trick to canning? Where should I buy the jars? Do I need lemon juice?

What is easier diced or crushed or purée to make... Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated

Thanks
Irish
Irish-guy

Re: Canning tomatoes

Postby 2020_Okie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 pm

here is a pretty good place to start.
http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_tomatoes.htm

when we have big harvests we will do it like this...all the tomatoes go in the sink.. boil water.. dump water onto tomatoes.... let sit for 3 min.. dump tomatoes into an ice chest with ice and water to cool them fast... peel and remove stems... quarter them up.. put in big azz pot and boil ( skimming the foam off 2 times.. put into jars... add lemon juice and water bath for 15 min.
for sauce... same as above.. only we run them thru a blender before the boiling part and strain out the seeds... add seasoning and then jar it up.
2020_Okie
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby RLSunday » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14 pm

You have a lot of tomatoes - plenty to can and try your hand at some other things.

If you're pressed for time and looking for a way to get a lot put up quickly before spoiling, freezing is simple and speedy
http://www.culicurious.com/stovetop-ste ... es-recipe/

You could try sun drying or slow oven roasting some. Like the recipe above it doesn't take special equipment and is a simple and inexpensive way to go about dealing with tomatoes in abundance.

Jars can be spendy, so if you can only a portion, then put the rest up in ways that don't require jars none of the tomatoes will go bad and then you can shop for jars and other canning equipment supplies at the end of the season when they usually go on sale.
RLSunday

Postby JayJay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:26 am

Dehydrate--yep, that constitutes using less jars, but 4 bushels is a lot of tomatoes.
I have 8 trays and it still requires days to do that many.
Freeze, IF you have the space. Then later, dehydrate them.

And then there is sharing a few with family and neighbors, unless you have none like me. :blush:

Note: today with 8 trays it took 11 hours to dehydrate tomatoes not thin, but not thick either.
13 tomatoes; the trays were full. I even half to get in those corners between the slices. :floppytongue:
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby valentinoswife » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:29 am

Okay -hubby is from Italy so here's how we do it: we chop up all the tomatoes (either by hand or we also have used food grander) - the skins hold all kinds of vitamins so we use skins, seeds, and pulp -- brown a bit of garlic (3 tbspns minced) 3-4 large onions chopped, oregano, 3-4 tblspns basil, 3-4 tblspns salt in some olive oil - then add chopped tomatoes and cook good for a couple hours. Get the quart jars going in hot water - also get the lids and rings to jars in some hot water - this helps the rubber seal portion of jars seal better. Use a towel on your counter to set the hot jars on. Use tongs of course on hot jars! Fill jars to bottom of the neck ring on the jars. Add 1/4 tspn citric acid (powder form bought in any canning section like at Ace Hardware or grocery stores or Wal-Mart) You can use lemon juice instead - 1 tspn per jar.Wipe off rims of jars first with hot water rag then wipe again with a vinegar rag. Boil in hot water bath 55 minutes for quart jars! When ready to use later this sauce is technically cooked already so just add meat or use as a marinara!
Valentinoswife
Pinch of Prepping http://wp.me/P4203D-7
valentinoswife
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Jardude » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:12 am

IMO the easiest and fastest tomato product to make and can is juice.

Jars are cheap at Menards right now if you have one local.
Jardude

Postby Irish-guy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:30 am

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond.

I think I might use all the suggestions...this morning my neighbor left 30 qt sizes jars I just need to buy rings and lids.. And some additional jars...lol..My question is can the ball glass jar sit directly on the bottom of the stock pot or do I need a rack for them?

While I washed all the tomatoes this morning I must admit, this is a lot of tomatoes... I will be bringing a few to work on Monday...
Irish-guy

Postby JayJay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Irish-guy wrote:Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond.

I think I might use all the suggestions...this morning my neighbor left 30 qt sizes jars I just need to buy rings and lids.. And some additional jars...lol..My question is can the ball glass jar sit directly on the bottom of the stock pot or do I need a rack for them?

While I washed all the tomatoes this morning I must admit, this is a lot of tomatoes... I will be bringing a few to work on Monday...

I sometimes use a stock pot or roasting pot when not wanting to use my water bath canner(not full) and I have a cooling rack used for cakes--it works great.
You may even have to get 2 to cover the bottom.
Some are round--some are square and even rectangle.
I can even use the rack in my toaster oven if I need to.
JayJay

Postby Jardude » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:31 pm

You can't let the jars touch the bottom or they will likely break. You can use a couple layers of towel on the bottom instead of a rack if you don't have a rack.
Jardude

Postby JayJay » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:04 am

Jardude wrote:

You can't let the jars touch the bottom or they will likely break. You can use a couple layers of towel on the bottom instead of a rack if you don't have a rack.

Even a metal pot holder will work till you get the cake cooler shelves.
JayJay

Postby 2020_Okie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 am

small mouth lids tied together with wire or bread ties will do the trick.... most water bath caners come with a nice hanging basket and they run around $20 at wally-world
2020_Okie

Postby JayJay » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 pm

JayJay wrote:
Jardude wrote:

Even a metal pot holder will work till you get the cake cooler rack.
JayJay

Postby Irish-guy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Ok so here's the update, today I canned 27 qts and have 3 racks in the convection oven try to see if they will dry. I will be bringing to work the rest of the tomatoes... I must admit that that was a lot of work today, I didn't expect it.

I still have a few jars left what else can I do....
Irish-guy

Postby Jardude » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Irish-guy wrote:Ok so here's the update, today I canned 27 qts

What'd ya make?
Jardude

Postby Irish-guy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:39 pm

7qt of whole, 7 qt purée and the rest sauce like Valentinowife recommended. The dry tomatoes are looking great I might pack them in oil to keep longer...

The two dozen tomatoes that I brought to work lasted about 10 min on the break room table..

One guy was eating them for his morning "snack".. They got good reviews.

I most certainly made out on this deal... It's funny that something I can do without even thinking about(computer networking) my neighbor though was worth it!
Go figure
Irish

Thanks again for all your insight everyone
Irish-guy

Next

Return to Rhode Island Preppers Network Forum