• Advertisement

White gas

Topics related to camping, including parks and other places to camp, gear, tips and ideas etc.. (Not Necessarily wilderness survival. For wilderness survival topics please visit the Survival Category)

White gas

Postby koeelvry » Sun May 22, 2011 6:35 am

I have a good friend that has been associated with AMOCO / BP for many years. He told me that he uses the BP Ultimate Premium fuel in his camp stove and lantern. I asked if it was the Green tank white gas type(as in Coleman fuel) or the gray tank type which is dual fuel and will burn regular pump gas. He said his are the green tank models and that the only difference between the Coleman fuel and the BP Super is that the BP Super doesn't contain any naptha which is actually put in the mix for longer storage life.
Is there anyone on the network that can verify this? I would certainly stock up some good premium gas with a stabilizer in it at $4.50 a gal. than have to pay $8.75 a gal. for the Coleman stuff.
Jim
Henderson County
Retired LEO & Other Stuff

NEVER SQUAT WHILE WEARING YOUR SPURS

IF YOU SIT ON THE FENCE, YOU WILL END UP BEING CAUGHT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.
koeelvry
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Re: White gas

Postby kilroyjc » Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 am

I am a lantern collector.

Coleman Fuel is highly refined Naphtha.

It is more highly refined than VM&P Naphtha.

You can try pump gas in your lanterns, but don't put more than two (2) ounces in when you try it, some lanterns will run fine on pump gas, most will not. You will have a very yellow light, and a nasty beige residue on your mantles afterward. You will also clog up your generator rather quickly.

Oh yeah - it also smells bad. . .

Your best bet, if you want to save money, is to convert then to kerosene, which has it's own particular idiotsyncrasies. . . namely, that you have to preheat the generator with alcohol. This means you also need an alcohol preheat cup for your lantern, in addition to the kerosene generator.
http://www.internationalcolemancollectors.com/technical.html

ADDITIONALLY, if you are playing with lanterns made after 1983, you have to be careful as kerosene runs much hotter than white gas, and the lanterns after 1983 contained plastic components in the valve and fuel delivery system. Turn you lantern upside-down - Coleman stamped the month and year on the bottom (generally speaking. . .).

IF YOU REALLY WANT WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION,
and
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO RISK BEING BITTEN BY A BUG FOR A NEW HOBBY,
then:
http://colemancollectorsforum.websitetoolbox.com/

Meanwhile, stick with the white gas. . . :thumbup:

PS:

Lantern/Stove Eye Candy Overload:
http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refilled, public debt reduced, the arrogance of officialdom tempered, and assistance to foreign lands curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero 55 BC
kilroyjc
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby repsfo » Sun May 22, 2011 2:23 pm

I have used Amoco "White gas" for over 30 years in my old Coleman products. Regular pump gas has additives so it smells use it well away from the camper windows! You also can buy Naphtha at an office or copier supply store.
repsfo

Postby distributedliving » Sun May 22, 2011 4:21 pm

repsfo wrote:I have used Amoco "White gas" for over 30 years in my old Coleman products. Regular pump gas has additives so it smells use it well away from the camper windows! You also can buy Naphtha at an office or copier supply store.

Loews and Home Depot also carry Naphtha, and some hardware stores do to
Garry
distributedliving

Postby kilroyjc » Sun May 22, 2011 4:28 pm

The Amoco white gas is fine for these - that is what they were designed for. Trying to find a filling station that carries it nowadays, though, that's a trick. T'aint any round here in Jersey anymore! And it's even getting hard to find places that have K-1 Kero, fer cryin' out loud!!!!

The naphtha at the hardware stores is not the same as white gas.

It is closer than what you get out of the gas pump when you buy regular unleaded, but still doesn't perform as well as the real thing.

Again, some lanterns "like" the substitutes, but most don't.

Believe me - I wish it weren't so: I have about 90 lanterns/stoves/lamps, and it gets expensive feeding them Coleman Fuel!

But all of mine run properly :D

Just a few of mine:

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refilled, public debt reduced, the arrogance of officialdom tempered, and assistance to foreign lands curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero 55 BC
kilroyjc

Postby john_arnold7 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:59 am

At some dollar stores they sell lantern lamps for $2 that can burn k-1 or lamp oil. I've used them around the house in winter outages. Burning low they can heat well and produce light for hours. I've see some venders buy them at the $2 price and try to sell them for $10or more.
john_arnold7

Postby Myakka » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Watch your flea markets and military surplus guys for the colemans that were military issue and designed to run on either white gas or regular gasoline. A couple months ago I found 2 in a load of trash that my coworker was throwing out. They were unopened from 1976. Ran one of them while camping a few weeks ago. It was on regular gasoline and worked AWESOME!
The coleman collectors site listed above is pretty good. A lot of those guys know every detail beyond imagination. Like trekkies know star trek. If you don't see the direct answer to your question join their forum and post it there. Good luck!
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Hillbillyman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:16 pm

The only gas sold around here is E 85 - not real good for Coleman Lanterns.

It is more economical to replace a old lantern with a new dual fuel then to convert a old lantern.

I had generator problems 25 years ago with Coleman lanterns and could replace them blindfolded in the middle of a wind storm.

I tried gasoline in a 60 year old Coleman lantern and it burned the guts out of the valve and caught the lantern on fire inside of my camper.
Sometimes a idiot will ask a question that the wisest man cannot answer.
Hillbillyman

Postby condomain » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 am

Guys, I used to use gas lanterns and they sure were hot and bright. But you got to be careful with those radioactive mantels (which were a PITA to tie properly as I recall, haha).

But with today's LEDs, isn't it more efficient to use LED lanterns and flashlights for the lighting? And keep the white gas for the cooking?

For cooking with auto gas, I think it will fare better than the lantern stuff. At least with something like MSR XGK etc. you can just clean out the fuel jet if you are not using super clean white gas.
condomain

Return to Camping