• Advertisement

Winter camping

Topics related to camping, including parks and other places to camp, gear, tips and ideas etc.. (Not Necessarily wilderness survival. For wilderness survival topics please visit the Survival Category)

Winter camping

Postby mombear » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 pm

My DH and I are going traveling after Christmas. I had built a teardrop camper more for a cargo and kitchen on wheels. DH wants to take it on our trip and camp. So I pulled it out of the garage its 17* out side, cracked the windows about two inches on each window. Set up a space heater and in 10 minutes it was so warm inside that the heater turned off. I've had to add a few things to the teardrop cause it wasn't planned for sleeping. I have the foam pads, lights, and heater in it. Now to make the curtains. I'll let you all know how it went.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network

Re: Winter camping

Postby pelenaka » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:02 pm

I remember the last thread where u posted pic (hint hint) I'm still green with jealousy. Happy camping.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 pm

LOL, thought you were going camping, not living in luxery in a nice little home on wheels. That sounds so nice and adorable. Have fun.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby cityhomesteader » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 pm

yeah camping is in a tent... LOL Enjoy your hotel on wheels..does it have WIFI and Cable? :rofl: :rofl:
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby mombear » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm

I'll take pictures and post them when we get back.
mombear

Postby repsfo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 pm

mombear wrote:I'll take pictures and post them when we get back.

It's not really winter camping unless the HIGH for 5 consecutive days is ZERO or below! LOL :eek:
repsfo

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 pm

repsfo wrote:

It's not really winter camping unless the HIGH for 5 consecutive days is ZERO or below! LOL :eek:

DOH I don't think so!! :drool:
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader

Postby IceFire » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 pm

repsfo wrote:

You forgot to add in that there has to be several feet of SNOW, as well. Last time I did that, was winter camping with my Boy Scouts over in Germany. On the other hand, it was good for teaching them how to build snow caves, etc., but cold like that is NOT something I care for. That's why I moved to Arizona.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:26 am

Now, now, all you cold weather wussies....winter camping is fun, you just have to dress for it. And have proper winter sleeping gear. Otherwise, it has it's advantages...empty campgrounds, the silent hush you get nowhere else except in the snow, the fun of reading the animal tracks and identifying what dropped by the night before, the fun of snowshoeing....I like winter. 40 below zero keeps the riff-raff out.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby namwal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:41 am

Winter camping here means putting on pants instead of shorts...
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Lilredmg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 am

kappydell wrote:Now, now, all you cold weather wussies....winter camping is fun, you just have to dress for it. And have proper winter sleeping gear. Otherwise, it has it's advantages...empty campgrounds, the silent hush you get nowhere else except in the snow, the fun of reading the animal tracks and identifying what dropped by the night before, the fun of snowshoeing....I like winter. 40 below zero keeps the riff-raff out.

Not to mention NO BUGS!!
Matthew 25:42 "for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink."

Matthew 25:45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
Lilredmg
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby repsfo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 am

kappydell wrote:Now, now, all you cold weather wussies....winter camping is fun, you just have to dress for it. And have proper winter sleeping gear. Otherwise, it has it's advantages...empty campgrounds, the silent hush you get nowhere else except in the snow, the fun of reading the animal tracks and identifying what dropped by the night before, the fun of snowshoeing....I like winter. 40 below zero keeps the riff-raff out.

Yes! You pull in to a campground and are the only person there. You adjust the tire chains, set up the tent, fire up the stove, and then realize that your tire tracks were the only ones for the last 10 miles!
repsfo

Postby Alaska Rose » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 am

LOL, was -47 in town when we went in for last minute groceres for Christmas. Dressing for cold is far simpler than dressing or undressing for too hot. That one just can't be done, and all that sunburned flesh is the pits, too.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby mombear » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 am

Just got back a few days ago and well it was too cold to take pictures, worried about my camera. Any how, we used my teardrop for most nights were the cost to camp was at least half of a hotel room. It was tight and used the heater once, it got so warm in there, we had to open the windows all the way and at one point open a door and cool it off. Then didn't even use the heater the rest of the time, I sure did insulate it well. It was tooooooooo cozy for my DH and I won't take the teardrop on a long road trip with him again. I will take the teardrop for just my self. My camper did get beat up with all the salt, and sand on the roads. I'll have to paint it come spring time.
mombear

Postby pelenaka » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm

mombear wrote:It was tooooooooo cozy for my DH and I won't take the teardrop on a long road trip with him again

:rofl: sorry but all I could think of when I read your post was the Lucy & Ricky Ricardo movie The Long Long Trailer ...
pelenaka

Next

Return to Camping