• Advertisement

Looking for recommendations for a Camp Dutch oven

Topics related to camping, including parks and other places to camp, gear, tips and ideas etc.. (Not Necessarily wilderness survival. For wilderness survival topics please visit the Survival Category)

Re: Looking for recommendations for a Camp Dutch oven

Postby Blondie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:02 pm

ITA that Lodge is high quality and I wouldn't buy cheap. I've had the nasty experience of having prepared a meal only to have the pan crack or break in the oven or stovetop. There goes your hard earned $ down the drain, not to mention the cleanup.

Dutch Oven size? It's just as easy to make 8qts of soups/stews/chili as it is to make 4qts. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Freeze leftovers if you have them.

Don't forget to season new cast iron cookware. A nicely seasoned piece will work nearly as well as any nonstick pan and make cleanup easier. You can also flip the lid of most Dutch Ovens, invert it, place it back on the pot and that will give you a nice warming tray for breads, biscuits, etc.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby RayMac1963 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Blondie, this is strictly for camp cooking. If i make too much its just going to go to waste. I went there this morning, TSC had them all put up in the off season storage anyway. I think i'm going to just get the 4 Quart Lodge one from Dunham's.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:01 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:Blondie, this is strictly for camp cooking. If i make too much its just going to go to waste. I went there this morning, TSC had them all put up in the off season storage anyway. I think i'm going to just get the 4 Quart Lodge one from Dunham's.

Ya'll don't know how to eat. :p

Just a heads up that if you have a glass top stove at home, don't use cast iron on the cooktop. You can use cast iron in the oven.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby sandlapper3 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Amazon has a 4 qt. Lodge Dutch oven for $49.38 and free shipping.
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:48 pm

One of my old cast iron skillets came from my great aunt, that old thing was cooked in all the time on a big cookstove, it
has seasoning on it that will likely outlast me.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:12 am

I appreciate the input. I dug up a 30% off coupon for Dunham's, so i guess it will be on of my stops in the next few days. I think its a Camp chef the have at 34.99 (it may be a lodge). Its regularly 39.99 but thats an in store special so my coupon still works.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby IceFire » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Blondie wrote:Just a heads up that if you have a glass top stove at home, don't use cast iron on the cooktop. You can use cast iron in the oven.

When we were at our old house, I used to use cast iron skillets on my glass top stove all the time. Never had any problems whatsoever. Just don't "bang" them around on the cooktop
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby WannaBeReady » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:06 pm

I got an 8qt camp dutch oven as a wedding gift, didn't think twice when adding it to our registry.

Yeah, I really should have. No problem for me to use, but my wife (until recently a grave digger, so a strong woman) can barely lift the thing with both hands. It's HEAVY, so keep that in mind when choosing for younger or weaker users.
Prepping's 4 B's: Bullets, Beans, Bandages, & Books.

Sadly, the least common of all senses is Common Sense.
WannaBeReady

Postby Vetmike » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 am

Lodge is the only (from my research) cast iron cookware made in the US. Expensive, yes, Indestructible providing you take care of it? Yes. But , as someone else said, buy some "inexpensive" stuff to experiment on or to let the "non-adept" use.
The reason I'm against Chinese made anything is the lack of a consistent standard for contents and consistency in manufacturing. Has nothing to do with Chinese qua Chinese.
Vetmike

Previous

Return to Camping