• Advertisement

I bought a tent ...

Topics related to camping, including parks and other places to camp, gear, tips and ideas etc.. (Not Necessarily wilderness survival. For wilderness survival topics please visit the Survival Category)

I bought a tent ...

Postby pelenaka » Wed May 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Starting getting into hiking a few years ago which lead to backpacking. Evolved into ultralight backpacking so I could have more room for more food for both myself & my dog, 'cause we hike slow 8)

LSS I was indecisive over what type of shelter to go with. Tarp only which is above my pay grade requiring a more advanced skill set than I possess now. Ultralight tents more money than I can spend then there's the stress over actually using one because well it did cost over x amt. What if I brake it :eek:

Last week in what seems like my yearly lust after the perfect backpacking tent I was online comparing, replaying youtube vids on set ups, in short moaning & groaning when I realized I just need to do it ... so I ordered a 2 person (1/2 half being my dog) tent just over 3 lbs. for under $110.
Terra Nova Zephyros 2 Person Tent -Pitches 'as one' quickly and easily. Stable tunnel design with external pole system. Minimum Weight: 3 lbs 6 oz. Dark green fly so it's stealth.

I'll be tweaking it a bit swap out the pegs for lighter ones shave a few oz off.

It's good to commit :clap:
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Re: I bought a tent ...

Postby jychauncey » Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 pm

they have a 2 person at Walmart for about $30.00
jychauncey

Postby pelenaka » Wed May 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Saw it ... didn't meet my expected needs.
pelenaka

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed May 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Cool. I know a couple people with Terra Novas and they really like them. Just make sure with the tunnel designs (you probably already know this) one end is facing the prevailing winds if you have any.

Happy hiking! :)
Stahlrosen

Postby pelenaka » Wed May 20, 2015 8:43 pm

I heard that warning on a youtube video but that's it's good to know of others who use them 'cause I'm second guessing myself until it arrives. Shipped yesterday who knows I just might go urban stealth camping soon.
pelenaka

Postby pelenaka » Sun May 24, 2015 1:40 pm

I'm loving this tent :ilove:
Very glad I went with a 2 person-ish size. Room to spread out for both me & my dog. There is plenty of room to place boots & pack under the fly between the tent & fly. I'll have to conserve pack weight in other areas.

Was able to camp out in it last night in 38 degree weather with a strong breeze. In fact a frost warning was issued last night. No issues with condensation. Toasty warm in just my knock ff UnderArmour, crew socks, fleece bag liner & my Kelty mummy bag rated to 45 degrees oh & my in bag tactical pad. My dog kept working free of his lite fleece throw so I need make him his own bag or a long sleeping coat which is my 1st choice. If he gets too hot he can always roll on to his back air his belly. I made him his own insulated pad with a removable fleece top.
Poor baby didn't sleep well being in the thick of urban night noises :eek: mostly feral cats.
pelenaka

Postby LeeLynn » Mon May 25, 2015 3:37 pm

pelenaka wrote:I'm loving this tent :ilove:
Very glad I went with a 2 person-ish size. Room to spread out for both me & my dog. There is plenty of room to place boots & pack under the fly between the tent & fly. I'll have to conserve pack weight in other areas.

Was able to camp out in it last night in 38 degree weather with a strong breeze. In fact a frost warning was issued last night. No issues with condensation. Toasty warm in just my knock ff UnderArmour, crew socks, fleece bag liner & my Kelty mummy bag rated to 45 degrees oh & my in bag tactical pad. My dog kept working free of his lite fleece throw so I need make him his own bag or a long sleeping coat which is my 1st choice. If he gets too hot he can always roll on to his back air his belly. I made him his own insulated pad with a removable fleece top.
Poor baby didn't sleep well being in the thick of urban night noises :eek: mostly feral cats.

Geez I want to be your dog! Lol
LeeLynn

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Soooo... you gonna post pics OR WHAT!!! Congrats, its so much fun. I just got to break in my backpacking tent a week ago.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Mon May 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Soon as I find that post on how to take off the location of a cell phone pic my old Kodak digital died :(
Been thinking about doing a youtube channel to go with my blog. I believe there is an app that helps you post vids online.
Not enough hours in the day especially now that my car is 110% human powdered. Pedaling my arse all over Beefahlo, :'(
Giving serious consideration to just adding padding to my shoulder straps on my day pack which is really just one big compartment - use that as my pack since it is 3 lbs. less than my Kelty 50L. All those pockets & sections just encourage me to pack more stuffs.

I ditched my jack knife for a simple plastic handled paring knife, official nessbit stove for a soda can stove. Might even go commando to save weight :rolleyes:

RayMac, what tent did u decide on ?
pelenaka

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:21 pm

First off. don't take pics of YOU. Just of the tent. Nobody is going to come looking for a tent. Second, i like photo bucket? Third... I went with a Vango Banshee 300. Got it shipped in from Europe.

I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

RayMac1963

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Here it is, in its pack. You can see the size by looking at the jetfoil zip next to it.

RayMac1963

Postby pelenaka » Tue May 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Nice, very similar to my terra nova also from across the pond British infact.

K, I gotta ask is that a golf cart in the background ? What kinda ruffing it are you doing ? :floppytongue:

If I use photobucket then no gps tags ?

Or is that a Smart Car ... r u glamcamping with tree huggers :floppytongue:
pelenaka

Postby RayMac1963 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:10 pm

The golf cart belongs to our Scout Master. His foot keeps him fro walking great distances, and we were at a BIG camporee last weekend. I guess Photobucket scrubs the info out of them.

RayMac1963

Postby pelenaka » Wed May 27, 2015 10:56 am

RayMac, curious why did u settle on MSR for water filtration as oppose to say a Lifestraw ?

Today is my only free evening after work so I'll try to do a photo shoot.
pelenaka

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:10 pm

MSR so i can fill BOTH mine and my son's camelback and hydration pack in the field and we can continue to hike. I like that better then drinking on my belly by a stream only when water is available. I have some other water systems too, but the MSR is "hike" one.

Plus, with a life straw, how ya gonna get clean water to heat for a Backpackers pantry dessert? That apple pie and chocolate mousse is worth hiking to the middle of nowhere for alone.

and why don't US tent makers do that inner tent suspension thing? Its SO great.

RayMac1963

Return to Camping