• Advertisement

The Economy is not as Good as they would have us believe

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Re: The Economy is not as Good as they would have us believe

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Do you think it practical for all of Obama's wrongs to be corrected in one year? Foolish. While I support Trump, I also.recognize, that all we are getting with Donald in the WS, is more time.

If your listening to anything on MSM, Don't . Just last night I heard HollyWood elected ophra Winfrey?. The new book is nothing but trash. Do you really think a no named author with a record of fiction and UN Truths really was allowed access to the inner workings of trumps inner circle. Yea right.

The MSM, will continue to spout innuendo, and half truths, they know the weak people will bite at some point.

Review the facts, what's been accomplished in Trumps first year. Obama, his Marxist or communist agenda dam near killed this,country.

The deep state is literally in a panic, as upon Clinton's defeat, their exact identities, are known now, no more speculation, no more guessing who they were. Their actions and deeds exposed them.

Bottom line " They " made the classic mistake, of under valuing the opponent, who in this case is We The People.

Not a day or night goes by that the MSM, doesn't spin truth into a web of lies.

We are no longer a nation of followers, we have become informed, and are onto the corruption coming from DC.

And guess what we are all responsible. We elected these senators and house reps. They sold us out.

I race sail boats here in the summer. One of,my crew members is the local papers editor. Nice guy, as far left as they come. Seems like every Wed night we have a heated debate regarding the local news papers culpability in covering up the politics, of politics.

Gerry says that's not the case. My response is always this. " Gerry, then why don't you print the voting records of our elected congressman representatives, in fact I've asked him to,print the voting records of any county commissioner, or city council member running, a day or two before election.

Poor Gerry turns a whiter shade of pale, and refuses. Yea no politics, within the local news paper. Apparently my idea, dosent meet the agenda.

Our economy is coming up, my guage is the local housing market. Not the number of homes on the market, but the prices. Currantly their's roughly a 20/25% rise in housing prices. " this needs to be viewed by realtor appraisal estimates, not county taxe assessments.

Living in a remote part of Oregon, it's one of the better measuring tools for the area, and the southern half of the state.

Lastly Trump bought us time, I hope your using your time wisely. We were given a gift, he beat all the odds, I recognize that gift, of,time, and I'm not squandering a second.

Dirk Williams
Dirk Williams

Postby JoyDog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Say Dirk,
Isn't it great the Bundys are gaining ground?
JoyDog

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks Dirk for weighing in. We were/are Trump supporters but we see things personally that tell us the economy is still in shambles and may not recover - anytime soon at least. We didn't expect a quick turn around as this has been going on so long that it has actually rewritten economic theory and accounting principles - which should be scary to most folks but doesn't seem to be.

I read after the election that a lot of preppers decided that the coast was now clear that Trump was elected - others just said to prepare MORE!

Hubs started this thread to get people to think, get a good discussion going and to provide some personal examples of the economy.

Our insurance went up exponentially, we have a high deductible plan (no other choice) with a huge global company who could offer better but doesn't and an HSA. We have had to manage and we do well as we don't have any major health issues - I can't imagine those that do. We have also heard from providers who can't get patients to fill needed meds, get labs/tests done or come in for help until they are full blown sick with something that may have been treated early on. Thank you to the healthcare provider for weighing in on that subject.

We will all see different economic indicators in our respective areas. Since we can't trust the MSM, everyone needs to pay attention to their own areas, family and friends. Out of our 4 kids, we only have one in a high paying, secure job as a nurse - all the others are struggling.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. We will keep on getting prepared for whatever may come.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Blondie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm

And in other financial news stories today, Weight Watchers stock rose sharply after Oprah's Golden Globe speech. :blink:
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby IceFire » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

What isn't mentioned much, is that, while the official unemployment numbers are down, they do NOT count the unemployed that have exhausted their benefits, or "discouraged workers" who have simply given up and quit looking. Also seldom mentioned, are that the vast majority of jobs that have been filled are in the SERVICE sector, meaning mostly part-time, minimum wage jobs in retail or "food service" industries. While those people are now earning somewhat of a paycheck, it barely covers their basic needs, so there's nothing left over for the "discretionary" spending that fuels the economy.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:Angie - you can call it bunk if you want but Georgia Grown, a member here some may remember, is living it. His company is a small, independent owned food brokerage out of Georgia. The trucks coming out of California and Texas were ones he mentioned.

I went onto dat.com and van/reefer (refrigerator trucks) rates at a multi year high right now. They provide a graph. It is in an article about the electronic logging device. The ELD enforcement doesn't take effect for a few more months. They said this MAY effect small companies and independent drivers who are hanging on a little longer to take advantage of the higher rates. Who knows if the shipping industry will tighten once again if the smaller folks decide to retire rather than update to new technology.

These rates right now are effecting his livelihood as some orders are being cancelled due to the high freight prices. It's only a matter of time until this is passed on to consumers in some way. It may not effect the big guys like Kroger or McDonald's but it is going to effect the small ethnic restaurants and markets first.

You say small companies may be hanging on to take advantage of the higher rates. I'm confused.....what's causing the higher rates? The only major fed law I'm aware of in trucking was in the form of ELD's. I've seen devices on the market that are $500 and under. There are also exceptions to the ELD rule. Any truck past year 2000 is already equipped to handle the ELD's.....if the truck is 1999 or older they don't need an ELD. Don't get me wrong....I'm not in favor of them, but they aren't that big of an expense and it's typically a one time purchase. The Hours of Service (HOS) hasn't changed, so I'm not sure how the ELD's are causing this rate hike? However, I'm not familiar with CA, TX or GA per se. It just looks to me like they're looking for an excuse to raise rates....and ELD's just aren't that expensive or overly complicated. Especially when you consider that a common trailer tire can run you $350 per tire or more!

https://eldfacts.com/eld-myths/

The health care industry is a slimy mess! From insurance companies to hospitals to corporate owned clinics to Medicare to Medicaid. It's just a cesspool of fraud and waste. Nobody wants to mess with the system b/c it's so broken it would take a miracle to fix. I remember a post on this subject a while back....something like "how would you fix the health care system?". Those responses would be a great place for congress to start. But....who can count on congress for anything?

The MSM.....OMG - I watch and I laugh. What a bunch of bologna! Oh how I wish we could go back to the days of Walter Cronkite! NBC wants Oprah to be president so bad....it's hilarious! They're still crying about the election. Yeah, now they know how I felt for the last 8 years! Sux don't it? :floppytongue:

As far as the unemployment numbers. I don't pay attention to them b/c those numbers are so skewed that they are meaningless. I look at what's going on around me and that is a pretty good indication. Still "help wanted" signs everywhere here and lots of people out and about shopping during the early part of the month. I stay away during that time! Lots of folks getting those money cards from the govt' still. It may not be an unemployment card....but they still ain't workin! I'd be interested to know how many have gone on welfare or social security disability after their unemployment ran out. Are those numbers even available? I know of a few around here who've done it and they aren't disabled! :shakeno: I know not everyone is abusing the system but from what I've personally seen...... :thumbdown:

I think the workers are getting tired. Tired of hoisting the whole system up. Tired of working 40+ hrs per week and barely paying the bills while the neighbors are home partying all day and don't have any bills. Tired of getting kicked in the teeth with taxes. Tired of dealing with disrespect. It gets to the point where many are saying.....screw it! If ya can't beat em' join em! I fight that feeling every day and am glad to come to forums like this where I know I'm not alone!
angie_nrs

Postby apache235 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:00 am

Walter Cronkite was perhaps the person most responsible for the US losing in Viet Nam. His coverage of the Tet offensive was treasonous.
apache235

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:39 am

I do not know if the ELD is the sole reason for higher freight rates, all I did was do a search on regulations for 2017/2108 and was reading a few articles when I came upon their graph and statements that rates were at a multi year high. And I'm not here or even equipped to argue the subject of ELD regulations - I'm here to pass along a concern from a good friend and fellow prepper who is experiencing this situation. He said we could share that here on APN and we did.

All information is shared so that each individual can take that and come to their own conclusions. And of course, adjust their preps accordingly.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby rickdun » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 am

apache235 wrote:Walter Cronkite was perhaps the person most responsible for the US losing in Viet Nam. His coverage of the Tet offensive was treasonous.

:offtopic: I don't know what this has to do with the subject of the economy, but I believe you may have your facts wrong about the Viet Nam war and who is most responsible for the lose. Also, I will not debate, nor will I argue about the war.

From a Viet Nam Vet.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 am

" note to self" check into weight watchers, for investment considerations.

None of us have a crystal ball. We never stopped prepping, in fact we doubled our purchase of a case of mountain house dried foods, since Donald win. Went from 12 cases a year to 24 cases.

We had pulled ALL of our investments except, gold and silver, and We physically control that, well me and the wonderful Mrs. Williams. We're back in the markets, since Trump took over. We're both retired now, and I,don't trust anything coming out of DC, or MSM, media.

Our changes are ALL based on a ton of research. We use credit unions, not banks, because of G-7 banking changes a few years back.Credit Union rules are different, as their generally members owned. Not a corporation. So your money in your account is still your money, not an investment.

The world debt is thought to be 227 trillion. Does anybody here think their was ever a plan to pay this down, much less off. It's physically not possible.

It's all a game, everything we have learned is a lie, our history, or direction, all of its a lie. All the money Obama gave to big business, went right into political slush funds. Another scam.

It's a shame that we have to get to roughly 50 before we see the way things really are. From 18 until that time most folks are busy working and raising kids, with zero time to do the research, and discover the truth.

Maybe a bit younger, and their are younger folks who get it, rarely is the true depth of the problem recognized at a young age. If that's the case, then someone in those kids life taught them well.

I'm thinking that if we the people want the economy to,come back, then it's going to require all of us to,have a little faith in our country.

As for,the economy, you want to know what's ahead, then look at the past.

A wise man, or woman has food for at least a year, and money physically in their possession to cover at least a years worth of daily needs. At a minimum if not two years.

Get out of debt, is so,so important. literally a life changer. Don't use credit. Compound interest is a killer. It's lawful theft.

The gettimg out of debt allows one freedoms, you live life differently when you don't owe.

Old saying, you don't like what big business is doing, then don't use their money, allow them to dictate your terms.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

Joy dog, perhaps the best part, for me, is the exposure of federal corruption their in Nv. It is my hope that a few agents are fired and prosecuted for their actions. Law enforcement has to have the cleanest closet in the community. Their words, their deeds, their actions are a slap in the face to every citizen. And a kick in the nuts to,anybody who ever worked in law enforcement.

Their scum, their criminals, and they should be given a fair trial, so,etching the Bundies, clearly weren't going to get.

Nothing worse then dirty cops and attorney generals. Examples of each need to be made, to reinforce the fact that justice is blind, you do the crime, you do the time.

I actually called the State of Nevada BAR assn yesterday, to file a BAR complaint against the AG deputy prosecutors.

I was told that since I'm not a citizen in the State of Nv, that I didn't have " standing" which simply means I don't have a vested interest in the case, and I lack residency within the state.

I told the lady, we ALL have an interest regarding dirty AGs, FBI and BLM agents. During the brief conversation it became clear to me, that many had called to lodge the same complaint.

If your in NV, you have standing, call make a complaint. Let's see if we can get these attorneys, dis barred.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby daaswampman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm

You are missing the forest for the trees! The only factors that matter, debts / obligations and the amount of currency we have printed. Both are in the multiple trillions and growing.

Then people wonder why asset prices are rising! Could it be that each dollar is worth less and the informed are desperate to own something other than dollars? Some crumbs may fall to the peons while they grow poorer everyday.

Americans have even been brainwashed into believing a home is actual wealth or a piggy bank! Unless you don't need a place to live, what difference does current market value make? It will not pay the taxes or put money in your pockets unless you choose to be homeless.

The vast majority of Americans have a negative net worth unless you include their home and their personal debt is growing daily.

Unless you can support yourself without any type of government assistance, you are a peon and survive at their will. Trump may have bought us a few years, unless he is just another distraction to distract the peons. If his tax plan did not wake you up nothing will! Cui bono? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:25 pm

While not a fan of mainstream financial news, CNBC has an artcle today that the Fed is out of ammunition to throw at the next recession. In 2019.

We have no budget and China is threatening to stop buying our debt today. The 10 yr Treasury is up to 2.55% today.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Dirk Williams » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

The world, has a debt load of 227 trillion. Per an article on Drudge the other day. Please don't confuse my position as things are great. Their's no way the worlds debt can ever be paid off.

What we preppers see as logical,is common sense. The fed, and other orginizations are not about out of ammo. Their completely out of ammo.

China considers their position in the bond movement, a slight drop in day to day markets, then right back up.

Money is a shell game, as long as those in charge get to write and redefine the definitions to meet their objective. The way it is will,continue.

Look, I,don't like it either, but we here on APN, are not making the rules. At least in the money world,

We prep for valid reasons. That I've stuck my big toe back into the markets, is a personal choice. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, in terms of Trump VS Obama, and money strategies, and direction.

I see a massive infastructure program during Trumps presidency. Not because of him, but because history demonstrates its going to happen. But then I also see a world war in the future.

In terms of prepping all any of us are doing is hedging our positions. I think it's prudent. Clearly the rest of the world doesn't.

I'll be able to tell you if I got it right for my family, in about 30/40 years.

DW
Dirk Williams

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 pm

It may seem like an oxymoron, these are the times great fortunes are made in the markets, but you need an exit strategy, experience, and monitor it constantly. Real diversity is the answer in every cycle.

30/40 years??? I have never held anything that long except farm land, real antiques, and metals. I wish more people would do their homework and try it - at least in a small way. It's an education in itself and could keep people from making avoidable mistakes. All the best Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Previous

Return to Financial Issues