• Advertisement

How Many People Know About 90% Coins?

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

How Many People Know About 90% Coins?

Postby Zero Source » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:41 am

What do you think. If you were to ask 100 random people, how many would know that pre 1965 coins are 90% silver? As time goes on, it seems to me that the percentage of people that know seems to get less and less.
Zero Source

Re: How Many People Know About 90% Coins?

Postby daaswampman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:32 pm

I was 14 the last time they made silver coins for circulation. I doubt one in ten knows. I like it like that. When people figure out what their money is, the price will jump. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby colt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Even those that do know about them - have not bought any.

What is a good dollar amount of coins to buy? Maybe the current value equal to one or two months bills?
colt
colt

Postby donba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:22 pm

I think most preppers know about them, and most have some. Our coin dealer is on the other side of town, whenever I am going to be over that way I try to buy around $ 20.00 worth. If we get to the point of having to spend them, Know one can really tell what the rate of exchange will be. Beens, bullets, and bandaids, are first on my list, at the bottom is 90% coins. Gold is not even on my list.....
donba

Postby ET2[SW]Moose87 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:19 pm

I bought about 10 oz in american eagles and 10$ face value of pre 1965, i dont know if theres a good benchmark to shoot for, im not sure what the limit is for "enough"
ET2[SW]Moose87
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby BK in KC » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I'd say maybe 1 in 5 people are aware of them, maybe less.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 pm

BK in KC wrote:I'd say maybe 1 in 5 people are aware of them, maybe less.

BK, I think you are way high. I would guess closer to 1 in 25 are truly aware. The knowledge may be lost in the back of the mind of 1 in 5, but if they got handed a 1962 quarter in their change, would they put it in a safe place or would it go into the next parking meter.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:
BK in KC wrote:I'd say maybe 1 in 5 people are aware of them, maybe less.

BK, I think you are way high. I would guess closer to 1 in 25 are truly aware. The knowledge may be lost in the back of the mind of 1 in 5, but if they got handed a 1962 quarter in their change, would they put it in a safe place or would it go into the next parking meter.

I think it depends on where you are located. In my area, there are a LOT more people who "prep", and they ARE aware of the 90% silver coins...to the point that they are EXTREMELY difficult to find any more.

Other areas of the country (ESPECIALLY in the big cities) people are TOTALLY clueless.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby badmandant » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:47 pm

I work at a company that buys and sells them and others so I am always on the lookout
badmandant
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby MoosePath » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Of those that do know about 90% coin, many of them look at it as a windfall when they get one in change they run right to the coin shop to cash it in so they can go out to the bar or waste it on some other thing. I have seen them come in when I have been at my coin shop buying 90% coins. I look at the coin dealer and just shake my head.
MoosePath

Postby MrDanB » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Not nearly enough know about 90% silver in US coins... All one has to do is a quick internet search on PM values during the Weimar Republic days, Argentina, Zimbabwe, Greece etc etc etc... to see how silver and gold went parabolic.
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby AuntBee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:47 pm

I keep a separate jar of 1965-1975 dimes, nickels and quarters. As people have been saying, most people don't have a clue. These dates at least still have 40% and dont look or feel as chintzy as new coins. It seems like even those dates are becoming kind of scarce. Did the government recall coins that might have intrinsic value?

No idea how much is enough. I keep telling myself that bartering a can of soup will have more value than a handful of change, but then I keep reading about buying silver, silver, and more silver. Sometimes it's a tough call.

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Zero Source » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:06 am

AuntBee wrote:Did the government recall coins that might have intrinsic value? Aunt Bee

That is a good question. I have never heard of the govt asking banks or citizens to turn in pre 1965 coins.

Could bank, or someone like Coin Star, change machines detect and separate silver coins? That would be the only feasible way I could see the govt getting silver coins back. And they wouldn't have to let the people know. Or the banks could sell the coins to a bullion house.

Are there enough silver coins floating around in circulation to be profitable in this? I don't know, but my guess is no.
Zero Source

Postby Mollypup » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 am

I think in this area we have perhaps an unusual portion of the population that is aware of this fact. However, this doesn't mean that even half of those are collecting them.

I know several people who are collecting them but most just seem to think it is a fun fact to know. Of course they could be being secretive about putting them aside too.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby beachbrratt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:06 am

I noticed some have mentioned buying 10 or 20 dollars worth of junk siver coins. Is there a rule of thumb or a price per coin that you pay for them? I would like to buy say 20 dollars at a time of junk silver but the pawn shop here is a flat *** crook. I would like to know what the going price is. As far as the pawn shop, is there a better place to buy them?
beachbrratt

Next

Return to Financial Issues