• Advertisement

IRS confiscating bank accounts, no crime involved

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Re: IRS confiscating bank accounts, no crime involved

Postby IceFire » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:30 pm

The only merchants I give my phone number to are the pharmacy, so they can call me when my prescriptions are ready for pickup, and the feed store, so they can call me when they have my hay delivery on the way.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:13 am

I have never had a merchant ask for my phone number if I pay cash. Check, they ask all the time. They want to make sure that if the check bounces, they can find you. I imagine they might ask with the cash if there's a rash of counterfeit going around.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:48 pm

I have had cashiers ask for a phone number or zip code before even knowing how (cash, debit, cc) you are paying. Tractor Supply has done it and I just tell them no. Then they just continue on without the information. You don't HAVE to give it to them just b/c they ask for it. Many people will just give it b/c they ask....I don't. I also had them ask at mall stores as well. Just tell them no.

As far as the original post.....I got some information that is good news on the confiscation front......

Federal legislation has also been introduced in Congress to nullify the actions of the NLRB. The “Protecting Local Business Opportunity Act” HR 3459 is sponsored by U.S. Representative John Kline from Minnesota. Michigan Congressmen John Moolenaar, Tim Walberg, Bill Huizenga and Mike Bishop are all co-sponsors of the bill. In the U.S. Senate an identical bill, S.2015, is sponsored by Senator Lamar Alexander from Tennessee. Also, companion House Bills 4901 sponsored by Representative Joe Graves (R-51) and 4902 sponsored by Representative Daniela Garcia (R-90) have also been introduced. More bills will be forthcoming as other state laws are examined to determine if the clarification is necessary.
Civil Asset Forfeiture Bills Signed Into law: This legislation was signed into law (Public Act 153 of 2015) on October 20th by Governor Snyder of MI. The bills will make it more difficult for government to confiscate private property and they passed both chambers with strong bi-partisan support. The reform package includes new reporting provisions to track “civil asset forfeiture” seizures and also raises the standard of proof for seizing assets from a “preponderance of the evidence” to a “clear and convincing” standard. We will be asking our members on the 2016 State Ballot for their position on further reforms that would require a criminal conviction before any private property could be seized.

It's not a fix....but it's a start in the right direction.
angie_nrs

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:18 pm

It might slow them down, anyway. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I was in a dept store with a friend, and the clerk asked for her SS number to prove the credit card was hers. WTF???
FussyOldHen

Postby anita » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:27 pm

FussyOldHen wrote:It might slow them down, anyway. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I was in a dept store with a friend, and the clerk asked for her SS number to prove the credit card was hers. WTF???

I'd ask to speak to a manager if this happened to me. That's absurd.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:49 pm

anita wrote:
FussyOldHen wrote:It might slow them down, anyway. Thanks for the info.

I'd ask to speak to a manager if this happened to me. That's absurd.

And right after asking for the manager I'd be tempted to call the police. The only reason someone outside of a bank would ask for a SS is for identity theft.
dmwalsh568

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:21 pm

"And right after asking for the manager I'd be tempted to call the police. The only reason someone outside of a bank would ask for a SS is for identity theft."

You know, that's what I thought. But my friend is one of those who is always in a hurry, and she "didn't want to bother". The only person I know who has had an idenity theft problem had someone run up charges totalling $28,000.

Too busy now? I guess that's like what they used to say about getting married too fast: "Do it in haste, and then repent at leisure".
FussyOldHen

Postby flyinghaney » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:52 am

yeah, kinda reminds me of obamas "indefinite detention" :?
http://www.thebestknifesharpener.com
flyinghaney

Postby anita » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:34 am

When I was at a store one time and asked for my zip code, I asked why they wanted it. They said they used it to target advertising and mailings.

anita

Postby IceFire » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:45 am

With asking for the zip code, they also use it to determine whether they need to open a store in the area of that zip code. If they have enough customer base from a certain zip code, then they'll open a store in that area.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Gunns » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:19 am

Biggest problem with confiscating is never getting it back. Seems when someone is found innocent and the confiscation was not legal, they really never recovery it.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:56 am

This is the reason I believe in not keeping a lot in my bank. Stock your pantry, buy junk silver, (gold is easier to trace right now), buy land or gardening equipment. I have known 90 year old men who gardened until they died (4 exactly). Do I trust a Banker, NO!
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Gunns: "Biggest problem with confiscating is never getting it back. Seems when someone is found innocent and the confiscation was not legal, they really never recovery it."

Yes, I've heard about that for many years. There always seems to be a crack it can fall into. Or a pocket.
FussyOldHen

Previous

Return to Financial Issues