• Advertisement

TIPS FOR PREPPERS WITH FINANCIAL AND BUDGET DIFFICULTIES

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Re: TIPS FOR PREPPERS WITH FINANCIAL AND BUDGET DIFFICULTIES

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri May 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks Ray Mac. I don't play it much anymore, but if I knew the numbers to win, I might not mind sharing a 50 way split of $500 million. A $5 million pay out to each winner in lump sum all at once pay out after all taxes paid would provide a LOT of Prepping money for each one. :| The hard part would be picking a Prepper from each state to share the winning numbers with. There might be a better way to share it but I have never given that idea any thought, beyond establishing a Group and inviting other Preppers to relocate and join a group on a big ranch in Mont. That reminds me too to check the jackpots amounts. :| Sometimes I buy $10.00 worth of tickets every couple months or so just to be eligible to win a large jackpot. Reason? :| High tax rates of winnings on a lump sum payout. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon May 30, 2016 10:17 am

I don't have any difficulty in keeping my bills paid or meeting my responsibilities financially, but my grown children do. I have bailed them out at times for hefty sums of money and given them plenty of wise financial advice, job advice, etc. :| I am a retired Baby Boomer. In the past few months I made two decisions that are now helpful in my Prepping plans and Prepping budget. I stopped bailing my children out financially. :| It is time now for what is called "TOUGH LOVE". THEY MUST NOW LEARN LIFE AND LIFE'S LESSONS THE HARD WAY. I didn't wean them off of the help or subsidies, or bail outs. :| I cut them off entirely all at once. They chips will fall wherever they may. They have received a lot more help from me than I ever received from my parents. :| That act will put about $3,000.00 a year back into my Prepping funds if not more. In Aug. one of my monthly expenses will get cut in half when a 2 year contract ends. :| That will add another $600.00 per year into my Prepping funds. This last Saturday, I cancelled a monthly expense that I no longer needed or wanted. :| It was $137.00 per month, and that will add $1,644.00 per year to my Prepper funds. If I moved off grid, my monthly living expenses would be reduced by at least $800.00 per month. :| I would then have a total monthly Prepping budget exceeding $2000.00. :| If the S does not hit the fan in the next 2 to 3 years, I could be what many would consider completely and fully prepped to hold out for years and become self sustaining in MOST of the SHTF scenarios that are survivable. :| This post is mostly FYI and certainly does not apply to or intended to be of much benefit to younger Preppers or newbees. It is meant to show what I am personally doing to better my Prepping ability at my age and circumstance. :| If my family members were to join with me and cooperate I would allow them to do so. However, I do not think or believe they would need or want to until after a SHTF scenario had already begun. :| They would have no place else to seek refuge, and they wouldn't have much to contribute in any way other than works and labor. :| Very few useful Prepper items or skills in their lives at present. :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby jimLE » Mon May 30, 2016 12:33 pm

i've finally gotten real serious about canning recently.1st was some chicken broth.that was done on april 20th.it's still good.then 8 pints of beans n ham on may 17th,only 2 of them are left. :D love my cooking.yesterday i canned 7 quarts of beans n ham.those i intend on leaving alone.today i plan on canning some chicken we have,in which i plan on using the broth that i canned.and so far i've learned only 3 draw backs at canning,in which im ok with.1st is the length of time it takes.2nd is,it use's up the propane.3rd,is heats up the house.but yet.this means i'll have food in the long run as long as every thing turns out right.
jimLE

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Some places to get things at bargain prices and I mean real bargains are: Good retailer True sales, auctions, yard sales, garage sales, storage unit sales, storage unit seizure auctions, thrift stores, food bank and food help programs, used clothing stores, alley scrounging, Pallets at businesses are usually free just for them away, they have many uses including cutting up for firewood depending on their condition and how clean they are. the wood if clean can be disassembled for making things out of like shelves tables etc. etc., 2nd hand stores. :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Anna » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:33 pm

If your beans get old and hard, turn them into ham and beans, bean soup or just plain canned beans. Once they are cooked and then pressure canned they will be soft. Actually, they can better old than fresh as fresh tend to go mushy.

Regarding fussy eaters, whether its you, your spouse or your children, I'd start today adjusting attitudes. In a shtf situation you do not want constant whining about food or someone actually starving because they refuse to eat what's available. When my kids were young they always had to taste everything, but I didn't force them to eat more than the taste if they hated it. I also did not fix them a separate meal. The only substitute allowed was a peanut butter sandwich. And, if they pitched a fit, they went hungry.

For several years I mixed whole milk 50/50 with powdered milk and the kids never knew. Today powdered milk is so expensive its hardly worth the effort. I would be sure to include various flavorings in my food storage to make powered milk more palatable. My kids always loved chocolate or strawberry flavoring in milk.

I would include meals prepared from storage foods at least a couple times a week to get the family used to such meals. I've collected recipes for years that use storage foods. One thing to be sure to include is plenty of seasonings to make the food more palatable. Beans and rice can be very different from meal to meal depending on seasonings or other added ingredients.

Menu planning before shopping and shopping less often are both huge money savers. Having a meals in the freezer and/or meals quickly prepared from on-hand ingredients instead of ordering in or going out will save a lot of money. The $30 to $50 spent eating out could much better be spent paying down debt or buying preps.

I have to drive 20 miles to shop so to save gas I try to do all errands in one day. I take a small cooler with lunch and drinks so I wont' spend anything extra. In hot weather I also take a large cooler (or two) for refrigerated/freezer foods to be sure they arrive home in good condition. I shop from my list and I put all errands on the list too so I don't forget anything. Since I try to shop only once or twice a month, both menu planning and shopping list are very important to keep me on track.
Anna

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Hello Anna. You are a wise Lady. Many of the things that you do, I've been doing for years. Lists of errands, fewer trips to town. A shopping list and sticking strictly to it. Saving gasoline, fewer trips also means fewer chances for traffic idiots to smash your vehicle. YOU MADE A GREAT POST HERE AND THE kARMA FAIRY WAS LOOKING OVER MY SHOULDER AND READ IT TOO. :D :-) lIFELONG
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Mollypup » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 am

I was going to avoid this post............ Financial & or budget difficulties is an understatement around here. I don't have issues with a budget, even a super tight one. I've lived on one my entire adult life. However, having enough income to actually make a plausible budget would help.

In case anyone is wondering, I've slipped from prepping into survival mode. Don't get me wrong, I still "prep" to some extent & in many ways but at this point it's not for the abstract "future" it's for Now. The culprit isn't my budget. It's endless price raises that are killing me.

For those in a pinch, look up your favorite supermarkets online and study their ad while making your shopping lists. Don't forget to also look up any nearby competitors & study their ads as well. Hunting down a few coupons also helps. Don't make the major mistake of assuming that because you shop at Aldi or Sav a Lot or the equivalent that you're getting the best deal, because you most certainly may NOT be. (and with the way stores are competing for customers, you probably aren't) I haven't stepped foot inside of Krogers in more than 6 months. I stopped when they're sales started going to pot. I know it's been at least that long because work gave us 25.00 gift cards at xmas and mine is still in my wallet. I haven't shopped Aldi's in the same amount of time. I think I've been to walmart twice. Once in a great while I make a trip to sav a lot but it's for basic things IF they're not on sale for a better price somewhere else. I'm still shopping the local market who's sales are killer, will match the other stores as well, double coupons.......and if it weren't for them we'd be in a heap of trouble. I not only shop there but I do my best to spread the word as well. I'm not the only one hurting in the area and I want to encourage the market to keep it up.

You don't have to buy in bulk to stock up. That is a major misconception. Something you use often is on sale for a wonderful low price, pick up one or two extra if you can afford it...put them back. Do this with enough things and over time you'll be stunned at how much you'll have stocked without killing your budget.

Make use of yard sales, thrift stores, 2nd hand shops. Odd Lots I used to love but now are too far away to bother.

Grow your favorite foods in your garden. Learn to can, dehydrate, or freeze them. ( or all 3) Learn to make meals dependent on prepared ingredients from scratch. It's cheaper, healthier and tastes better. Not to mention if SHTF you're going to need all these skills anyway. Recipes are abundant online.

Make your home more efficient. Stop wasting resources. Walk out of a room, turn out the light. Turn the thermostat down for heat and up for AC, instead dress appropriately for the weather. Regulate water useage. Use leftovers. I bet once you get in the swing of it you could think of dozens of other ways. Like when I'm running water waiting for the hot water......I fill the dog bowl with the cool water that comes out first. (if it's full it goes into a container) I have to PAY for that water, by darn someone's gonna use it before it goes down the drain.

I cooked, my kids ate it, regardless of what it was. There was no debate. You didn't leave the table until you ate it. My girls went through a brief period of "I don't know what to wear!" and "thought" they were going to chance clothes multiple times per day, only to find those clothes back in their drawers instead of the laundry. Uh, no. It doesn't work like that. House rules were that jeans were worn at least 2 days before hitting the laundry basket. If by chance they got them actually dirty, they wore them to play in on the weekend before they were washed. One towel per person per week. Why would you put it in the laundry when you're supposed to be CLEAN when you get out of the shower or bath?? (but yet this gives some people the willies lol ) My kids were required to ask for a drink or a snack. The answer wasn't always no, but it wasn't always yes either. God forbid they think to help themselves. Son got into a sneaking stage in his teens, next thing he knew he was working to buy the food he'd snitched. After a few months, snitching was no longer appealing......but he kept the job anyway. lol My kids never went hungry. But that food had to last x amount of time. It was planned for menus & snacks. If ingredients went missing.....meals might not be made ect.

That said, if I cook my grandkids eat it. No debate. Nana doesn't put up with such nonsense, they know it. They also know the other rules of the house and follow them. Just because my children grew up doesn't mean the rules changed. It helps that I'm a good cook and cook from scratch and I've yet to make something they don't like. (same for my kids) lol

Don't shop if you don't have the funds. Avoid temptation.

Take a realistic look at your forms of entertainment. If you go to the movies (omg expensive!), how about a movie night at home instead? My kids / grandkids love my Mc Donalds meal......which makes Mc D's seem disgusting by comparison. Have some family fun and let the kids help make the pizza or tacos! Camping. Fishing. Hiking. Bike riding. Water balloon fights. Endless ways to have fun for cheap or free. My kids never watched tv during warm months except maybe on a rainy day.......sometimes not then as they were outside playing in the rain.

Dumpster Diving. Sometimes literally......sometimes just something useful put out for the trash guy. I got a marvelous kitchen table that way when my kids were little. (wish I still had it too) My youngest has picked up all sorts of wonderful things that way. (yes, I passed the skill down)

When you're poor.....no I'm not afraid or ashamed to say it........you have to use your brain and get creative. That's just the way it is. You can think of it this way, you've got a hellova head start on everyone else once the crappola hits.

Because that's going to be the hardest thing of SHTF for people. The adjustment. No, the smack in the face. That they have to just suck it up and deal with what life has dealt them, make the best of it, and keep on going without plunging into the depths of depression. That is no easy feat if you've never had to do it before.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:59 am

some great points there mollypup..our folks was the same way,when growing up.we had to at least try a food,that we didn't want.and we had to eat (ALL) of our veggies.and not put them under the mashed potatoes..
jimLE

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:02 am

Hello Molypup. Great and Wonderful Post! And I can relate to it right down to your dotted Is and crossed Ts. :D Having lived the same way during several periods of my life from day one to the recent times , (not that I have to live exactly that way now), it is the experience...and some of those ideas just become habits over time even if one does have GOOD FORTUNE like I did, we can revert back to them in a heartbeat without learning them after something happens or we suffer a setback. :D I am thrilled that you shared your experience here and it was very enlightening and will be an eye opener and a wake up call for younger people who read it. :D I have watched "DUMPSTER DIVERS" many times through out my life. :D I have had to live by my wits, come up with workable ideas and solutions many times. :D The keys to Survival are not hard to find when one considers the alternative. :D Fighting back emotions and attitudes is as you stated a very hard part of it. Negativity is unproductive or counterproductive. Excuses and fear and lack of faith will defeat a person in a short time. You are a very wise Lady and you set a very good example. :D Well....The Karma Fairy has sneaked up behind me again and is looking over my shoulder and is pointing her finger at my computer screen and nodding her head. :D :-) Lifelong Survivalist
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby conjomen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

Mollypup, you could probably give a class on living on a tight budget...maybe something to think about? Charge like $5.00 or something and set it up online? Lol I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate knowing some of the tricks you have come up with over the years...I have to say that we grew up poor 6 kids my mom stayed home with us while Daddy worked,so only one income. We never had expensive toys or clothes, but we had everything we needed! I didn't even know that we were poor. Honestly. I don't remember ever going hungry although our home was on a farm so we had a huge garden with chickens and a milk cow. If we had been in a city we might have gone hungry. I remember a conversation with my parents as an adult about how poor we really were (the conversation where I found out we were actually poor). It took me by complete and utter surprise. My brother and I sat at the dining room table and argued with my parents that there's no way we were poor! I think it's all about perspective. We had shoes on our feet and a full belly. Our argument was that we never went without a winter coat, good shoes, school supplies or a good meal there's no way we were "really" poor. I've learned soooo much from my mom about being frugal. People who have never been truly poor would never think of some of the tricks she had for saving money! One example (promise just one), I was talking to a friend over coffee at my house, I had a bag full of "work "clothes my family and I use for the dirty or hard work around the house. These are the clothes that aren't even worth donating, too many holes or huge stains. All of them had definitely reached the end of wearability. I had the bag there because I was getting ready to cut them up for use as either cleaning/dish rags or to patch other stuff if needed (like denim jeans). Unbelievable to me my friend said she never thought about doing that! I really thought stuff like that was just common knowledge or common sense. You'd be surprised at the amount usable stuff people just throw away. Mollypup if you ever decide to do a webinar about frugal living sign me up! You might have some tricks even my penny pinching parents didn't think up...
Dream like you will live forever, Live like you will die today[size=85][/size]
conjomen
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:53 pm

My husband and I both grew up poor. But we have been blessed during our working years and ended up with way more
then we ever thought we would have. I look back and at times know I was wasteful but I quit that and got back on track.
We never spent money we didn't have or used charge cards, oh we used them and paid them off monthly and we always
saved and saved some more.

But I never forgot the old ways and he and I are careful and still working hard though retired and though we are 70. Today I
worked hanging out clothes and then to a rent house and stripped paint off windows with a heat gun and sanded while hubby is
rewiring a bunch of it. Likely day after tomorrow, I will prime them, then reglaze the panes, then paint. He is tearing out a
stairway and we are redoing the bathroom and kitchen. He will build new bottom cabinets to match the top, we are reconfiguring it.
I will strip, sand, and repaint the existing cabinets and new.

It's supposed to be 10 degrees cooler tomorrow so I plan to work in my
garden, the 1.4 inches of rain we got yesterday is making everything especially the weeds grow like crazy.

Our son picked up our ways too, he is not wasteful at all. He said if things continue, he could end up a millionaire by retirement, I
hope so but with a baby he might find that will change. Neither his first wife or current one has ever had to work. I did from the
time he was little and he wanted a wife that didn't, I can understand that. He got his college degree in the military and finished
afterwards, never cost him anything and has done well for himself. In the DOD makes about the equivalent of a major he tells me.

So as a family we have done pretty good, part of it just hard work, some of it being in the right place at the right time, but also having
the skill set we needed. All in all I can't complain. But that doesn't mean we are going to sit on our butts and do nothing. People
don't understand why we work like we do. Thankfully we are a pretty matched set as we both enjoy working.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Mollypup » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:12 am

conjomen wrote:Mollypup, you could probably give a class on living on a tight budget...maybe something to think about? Charge like $5.00 or something and set it up online? Lol I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate knowing some of the tricks you have come up with over the years...I have to say that we grew up poor 6 kids my mom stayed home with us while Daddy worked,so only one income. We never had expensive toys or clothes, but we had everything we needed! I didn't even know that we were poor. Honestly. I don't remember ever going hungry although our home was on a farm so we had a huge garden with chickens and a milk cow. If we had been in a city we might have gone hungry. I remember a conversation with my parents as an adult about how poor we really were (the conversation where I found out we were actually poor). It took me by complete and utter surprise. My brother and I sat at the dining room table and argued with my parents that there's no way we were poor! I think it's all about perspective. We had shoes on our feet and a full belly. Our argument was that we never went without a winter coat, good shoes, school supplies or a good meal there's no way we were "really" poor. I've learned soooo much from my mom about being frugal. People who have never been truly poor would never think of some of the tricks she had for saving money! One example (promise just one), I was talking to a friend over coffee at my house, I had a bag full of "work "clothes my family and I use for the dirty or hard work around the house. These are the clothes that aren't even worth donating, too many holes or huge stains. All of them had definitely reached the end of wearability. I had the bag there because I was getting ready to cut them up for use as either cleaning/dish rags or to patch other stuff if needed (like denim jeans). Unbelievable to me my friend said she never thought about doing that! I really thought stuff like that was just common knowledge or common sense. You'd be surprised at the amount usable stuff people just throw away. Mollypup if you ever decide to do a webinar about frugal living sign me up! You might have some tricks even my penny pinching parents didn't think up...

I stopped saving clothing for rags.......but they're as threadbare as possible before they hit the trash because we also use them as work clothes. I also thought everyone had this habit, but I learned over the years that most never imagined doing such a thing. lol

I dunno about teaching a class. Most of what I do is so natural to me at this stage I don't give much thought to it. It's actually so habitual that it can be difficult for me to sit down and try to tell someone exactly what I do. I do share the tricks that I've learned to anyone who wants to know, though. I always have.

Like right now I'm sitting in a completely dark house except for my computer, son's computer and one little lamp I need because otherwise I can't see the keyboard when I need to see it which is irritating. No AC. Most people never think to turn off lights even when you're sitting watching tv or what not if you really don't need them on. You should see the looks that one gets me when I mention it to someone. lol What?? Sit in the dark?? Imagine that.......although they do it every time they go to the movies. omg

A trick passed on to me by my Dad is to not spend your spare change. He always stuffed his change into socks and kept them in his drawers. At any given time that man would have several hundred dollars in socks. Instead of socks I use coffee cans or other containers. Once it's full I count it out and make a trip to the bank for paper. It's an amazing way to save money without realizing you're saving money and not miss it in the process. His other tip was to use rounding when balancing a checkbook. If my amount is say 20.50, that would be 21.00 instead or 19.49 would be 19.00. Rounding up or down helps save money the same way tossing your change into a container does.....and it makes the checkbook easier to balance. Nor in my entire adult life using this method have I ever bounced a check. But I have saved many hundreds of dollars over the years with both methods. My Dad lived through the Great Depression.

My kids never knew they were poor either, even during some of the poorest times. They had all the necessities and no matter how hard it was, they always had birthdays and xmas. They weren't flooded with gifts. It isn't necessary. Instead all year I'd listen to them, to what they wanted. Usually by the time it rolled around I knew what they truly wanted and that is usually what they got, not always but 90 percent of the time. Birthdays were one gift. Xmas they each got 5, one big gift from Santa, 4 not so big gifts from Mom & Dad. (Santa was NOT getting all the credit for the blood sweat & tears it took to make xmas happen many of those years) I had one rule. In my home there would be no clothing for xmas until they reached their teen years. (too many xmas' of nothing but socks & underwear for me growing up ruined that) Birthdays were informal affairs. I see parents today paying out ridiculous sums of money for parties for their kids either at some food joint but even at home. Why??? I'd bake a cake from scratch as often as one was bought......it depended upon what they wanted. No decorations. Wasted money. phht. No invitations. Instead all the kids they played with were informed of when cake & ice cream would be served, no present required. Then there would be water balloons, water guns, bubbles.......all sorts of old fashion ways for kids to have a good time together. No one complained. Actually, they had a blast. It only cost me the cake & ice cream.

I remember my kids were 6, 9, and 11. My husband had abruptly lost his job. We were living in the city & expenses were sky high. My minimum wage job was just keeping us afloat using every skill I'd ever learned and I swear I came up with a heckova lot more during that very long year. (job was taken to help fund xmas it wasn't meant to go on for a year) We used the food pantry. That was a major blow to the pride, lemme tell ya. Nor do you usually get much to work with from such places either. (foodstamps never entered our minds at that point) I remember looking at the pitiful amount of stuff in the box the kind folks handed us and my heart plunged. We were doing Ol' Mother Hubbard's Cupboard at home. The man noticed my crest fallen face and said there was more, but most people turned it down. I asked what it was..........it was Dominos & Pizza Hut pizzas!! The local pizza places donated pizzas that were made wrong ect to the shelter instead of tossing them. The shelter had a freezer full but no one would take them thinking there must be something wrong with them! Each week we took enough to stock the frig freezer. I followed the instructions for how to reheat in the oven (which I still know to this day) and we had more delicious pizza during that time they ever before or since. My kids as adults tell me that they thought I must've gotten paid a fortune cuz we could afford pizza most every night! :rofl: :rofl:

So no. My kids never knew they were poor. It never entered their minds. In truth, I'd go back and do it all again in a heartbeat. We had the most fun. Those were good times. :shakeyes:
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby theoutback » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:41 am

Work a 2nd job, work harder, refuse to be a victim.
theoutback

Postby Lynda1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:56 am

theoutback wrote:Work a 2nd job, work harder, refuse to be a victim.

God forbid!
Lynda1

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:36 am

Just try working a full time job and a part time job, or 2 full time jobs, or even a job with longer hours...say 10 to 13 hours a day and you will quickly find out that it is easily said, but not easy to do, especially over extended periods of time. :| Been there, done that many times in my life. The physical demands, mental stress, lack of adequate rest and sleep will eat you up in time and eventually you will collapse, and have to make changes. :| You can do it for awhile but it will catch up with you and cause health problems. I really sympathize with single working Mothers. :| They wear themselves out and barely get by. Not a good thing and I do not recommend it for any extended period of time. Better to find a better job or gain more work skills and education in order to do so. :| :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

PreviousNext

Return to Financial Issues