• Advertisement

TIPS FOR PREPPERS WITH FINANCIAL AND BUDGET DIFFICULTIES

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Re: TIPS FOR PREPPERS WITH FINANCIAL AND BUDGET DIFFICULTIES

Postby Lynda1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:06 am

Lifelong Survivalist wrote:Just try working a full time job and a part time job, or 2 full time jobs, or even a job with longer hours...say 10 to 13 hours a day and you will quickly find out that it is easily said, but not easy to do, especially over extended periods of time. :| Been there, done that many times in my life. The physical demands, mental stress, lack of adequate rest and sleep will eat you up in time and eventually you will collapse, and have to make changes. :| You can do it for awhile but it will catch up with you and cause health problems. I really sympathize with single working Mothers. :| They wear themselves out and barely get by. Not a good thing and I do not recommend it for any extended period of time. Better to find a better job or gain more work skills and education in order to do so. :| :-) Lifelong

Outback's been doing it for years. Full time employee and he owns an orchard. Many of us have had to do this. You're correct about more work skills and education. This always equals a better salary.
Lynda1

Postby theoutback » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Lifelong Survivalist wrote:Just try working a full time job and a part time job, or 2 full time jobs, or even a job with longer hours...say 10 to 13 hours a day and you will quickly find out that it is easily said, but not easy to do, especially over extended periods of time. :| Been there, done that many times in my life. The physical demands, mental stress, lack of adequate rest and sleep will eat you up in time and eventually you will collapse, and have to make changes. :| You can do it for awhile but it will catch up with you and cause health problems. I really sympathize with single working Mothers. :| They wear themselves out and barely get by. Not a good thing and I do not recommend it for any extended period of time. Better to find a better job or gain more work skills and education in order to do so. :| :-) Lifelong

Lifelong, I work 2 pretty much full time jobs, one of which is my own business, so it can be done! I'm 52 and working between 50-70 hours a week all spring summer and fall. I put in 11.5 hours today so far, and it won't kill me. Been doing it for years, my choice. If you look at my posts they are mostly at 4-5AM, before I head out to the orchard. I'm taking a dinner break for an hour now but will be back out there until dark most likely. So your comments are way off base.

If people don't have enough money to buy the preps they want going out and getting a 2nd job is a viable option, especially if they are young. It doesn't have to be as many hours as I work, but just an extra 8- 10 hours a week will go a long way. Even if it's just seasonal. A number of years back before I owned my own business, I took a weekend job selling tickets at a ski area, it wasn't a ton of money but that extra went a long way and it was only for a few months. Something like that can give someone an extra grand or 2 and really get some preps in order for them. Sorry but I think many people today are too damned lazy and have know idea what they are capable of.
theoutback

Postby theoutback » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Lynda1 wrote:

Outback's been doing it for years. Full time employee and he owns an orchard. Many of us have had to do this. You're correct about more work skills and education. This always equals a better salary.

Didn't see your post Lynda until after I made that last post. Thank You, yes I am fairly well educated in horticulture, mainly apples. I chalk up owning my own business to hard work. Earning extra money can be done, and in my case I love what I do, so it doesn't seem real hard.
theoutback

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Well Superman, please excuse me. You are not the typical average American citizen. And although I still do not recommend doing what you suggested for the LONG term, I did not say that it can not be done for the short term with out any ill effects, and I certainly did not discourage it entirely. So, no my comments are NOT way off base, and they were intended to make people THINK. What else do you do besides work your jobs, eat, and sleep. There's a Hell of a lot more to life than that. Yes, I agree that having any kind of job that a person loves doing makes it a lot less like work, but not everyone is so fortunate or able to have their own business. Are you raising children, keeping house, doing everything in your household as well. or do you have a spouse to share in other things at home that need doing? Don't be so quick to judge. People are different and live in widely varied life circumstances. That is one of the problems in America that people are fed up with.... being enslaved and wages are very low or do not pay a liveable wage, and it doesn't mean that they are lazy. Not everyone is lazy. Have you watched the TV series "Undercover Boss"?? :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby ajax727 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Just my .02 worth some of us have worked very long hours . I have worked from sunup to sundown and at time fired up the lights and worked 4 or 5 more hours after working 12 . I ran my own company (sawmill ) for 18 years and also a farming operation , the work that need to be done was never ending . It did not kill me but I did wear my body out and I am paying for that now. Some of us had a little more drive than others and far more than some people today . The sky is the limit if you have the drive and the backbone to do it .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Lynda1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:47 am

Lifelong Survivalist wrote:Well Superman, please excuse me. You are not the typical average American citizen. And although I still do not recommend doing what you suggested for the LONG term, I did not say that it can not be done for the short term with out any ill effects, and I certainly did not discourage it entirely. So, no my comments are NOT way off base, and they were intended to make people THINK. What else do you do besides work your jobs, eat, and sleep. There's a Hell of a lot more to life than that. Yes, I agree that having any kind of job that a person loves doing makes it a lot less like work, but not everyone is so fortunate or able to have their own business. Are you raising children, keeping house, doing everything in your household as well. or do you have a spouse to share in other things at home that need doing? Don't be so quick to judge. People are different and live in widely varied life circumstances. That is one of the problems in America that people are fed up with.... being enslaved and wages are very low or do not pay a liveable wage, and it doesn't mean that they are lazy. Not everyone is lazy. Have you watched the TV series "Undercover Boss"?? :-)

Lifelong

Outback, and I, are not judging anyone. It's not uncommon for people to work multiple jobs or have dual income families. In fact, it's more common than not. Both my husband and I always worked, both in and out of the home, as well as he serving in the military. Not once did I feel enslaved but I was paid commensurately for my education and experience. Everyone who works also has to run a household. It's been done for decades now.

I've been to his orchard and there was nothing 'fortunate" about his having this operation. Both he and his wife, who also works full time, invested money, time and energy into this enterprise.

Sacrifices have to be made along the way if one wants to reach the end goal. People have been doing it for years.
Lynda1

Postby Mollypup » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:12 am

theoutback wrote:Work a 2nd job, work harder, refuse to be a victim.

This works for some, but doesn't apply to too many.

I'm at work 12 hrs a day 4 days a week. Those other 3 days I'm tackling yard work, house work, bills, errands, and food shopping. Not to mention attempting to recuperate from those 4 days so I can go back and do it all again come monday morning. My hours make it such that working a 2nd job is nearly impossible and sorry but I'm not working on my days off.......too many other things to do and I'm pretty much the only person to get them done.

I'm not a victim, nor am I out to put myself into an early grave. I am, however, searching for a job elsewhere that pays better........problem is that their hours are worse & I'm not sure how I'd pull off a 7 day work week for many of them. So I'm still searching.

Skill set / education doesn't guarantee squat in today's world.

I have 40k (thank you interest) in student loans for an education I can't use. No. It wasn't in a nonsense area, it was in nursing.......and TBI issues make it so I can't work in the field I'm educated in. (at least I haven't found something I can do with that education outside of nursing so far) Even if I could use my education 99 percent of the jobs are at least an hour away. Since the area is flooded with nurses, there aren't as many jobs as you'd think there would be even looking in the major cities. And no, I have no inclination to go back to school for something else I may or may not be able to use once I graduate, thanks. Too expensive.

Life happens, Sometimes it throws you a curve ball that is mighty hard to dodge. So you suck it up and deal as best you can. Just get a 2nd job or go back for better education is easy to say, and some people can manage it, others can't for a wide variety of reasons. Some have children in the home they'd actually like to see once in a while or would be paying a fortune for a sitter. Some have health issues. Some have transportation issues. Not everyone is bright enough to graduate college, some have all they can do to graduate high school. Some people live in economic depressed areas where it's quite an accomplishment to get the first job, let alone a 2nd one. It doesn't make them victims. It just means they're trying to cope with their own unique situations.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Lynda1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:21 am

I don't know why people are taking what Outback wrote so personally. I can't speak for him or anyone else but I'm sure he understands that some have unique circumstances. I think he was speaking in generalities and addressing those who refuse to consider doing anything extra. And there are a lot of them.
Lynda1

Postby theoutback » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:48 am

Lifelong Survivalist wrote:Well Superman, please excuse me. You are not the typical average American citizen. on't be so quick to judge. People are different and live in widely varied life circumstances. That is one of the problems in America that people are fed up with.... being enslaved and wages are very low or do not pay a liveable wage, and it doesn't mean that they are lazy. Not everyone is lazy. Have you watched the TV series "Undercover Boss"?? :-) Lifelong

No reason to be a smart a$$. I simple think if people want some preps and need some cash an extra job is an option. I never judged anyone, which you did by addressing me directly. I talked in general terms and think most can do way more than they think they can. Maybe a little less time on APN writing long winded posts, for one, and viola, a few hours for a part time job, and some extra cash for preps. Maybe sell stuff on E-bay, or whatever. There are tons of ways to get some extra cash for preps.

I didn't mean that anyone that works more than one job has to because they are uneducated or they don't make much money. You jumped to that conclusion.

By the way I get payed way more than a livable wage in both jobs.
theoutback

Postby Mollypup » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:59 am

Lynda1 wrote:I don't know why people are taking what Outback wrote so personally. I can't speak for him or anyone else but I'm sure he understands that some have unique circumstances. I think he was speaking in generalities and addressing those who refuse to consider doing anything extra. And there are a lot of them.

I didn't take it personally, but that is a blanket statement I've heard so many times over the years that it just plain rankles. It goes hand in hand with the "well, just relocate" blanket statement.

Yes, there are people who refuse to do anything extra. There always will be that small percentage, there always has been. However, it is actually a very small percentage.....and usually that small percentage are the ones taking advantage (and often abusing) every social program the govt has to offer, which is why they get so much attention. My step daughter and her dh are like that and I'd personally like to stick my foot up both their rears because my grandchildren are doing without (not even basic needs met) unnecessarily. I stopped "helping" them several years back, in any form.

Every person faces their own unique set of problems. Poverty is not a one size fits all sort of issue.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Lynda1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:15 am

Mollypup wrote:
Lynda1 wrote:I don't know why people are taking what Outback wrote so personally. I can't speak for him or anyone else but I'm sure he understands that some have unique circumstances. I think he was speaking in generalities and addressing those who refuse to consider doing anything extra. And there are a lot of them.

I didn't take it personally, but that is a blanket statement I've heard so many times over the years that it just plain rankles. It goes hand in hand with the "well, just relocate" blanket statement.

Yes, there are people who refuse to do anything extra. There always will be that small percentage, there always has been. However, it is actually a very small percentage.....and usually that small percentage are the ones taking advantage (and often abusing) every social program the govt has to offer, which is why they get so much attention. My step daughter and her dh are like that and I'd personally like to stick my foot up both their rears because my grandchildren are doing without (not even basic needs met) unnecessarily. I stopped "helping" them several years back, in any form.

Every person faces their own unique set of problems. Poverty is not a one size fits all sort of issue.

No one said it was, Molly. He offered an option. I have a next door neighbor, who for 4 years will not stick with any job, yet she told me at one point that she wanted to be just like me. Point is, I'm 17 years older, retired at age 55 but prior to that commuted nearly 100 miles a day from where I live now. She wants so badly the things I had but it simply doesn't occur to her that she has to work to get them. She'd rather complain about all the things she doesn't have. They're the reason we put up a 300 foot long fence. Now we don't have to deal with them.

Nobody suggested anything that people from prior generations haven't done before. No one corners the market at living paycheck to paycheck either. We've all been there and to see a guy(Outback) being jumped on because he chose to follow the path he did rankles me as well. Particularly when he's in his fifties and darned well knows what he's doing. He never said taking a second job was mandatory.

But you can be darned sure many people today wouldn't entertain the thought, even short term.
Lynda1

Postby arkieready » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Maybe I missed a post, but I didn't see mention of refraining from buying the biggest and most expensive whatever, such as clothing, cars, furniture, even houses. I save thousands driving old beaters that don't require full coverage because I have no loan on them. My $1000 truck, bought 10 years ago, has needed not much else besides a "new" old transmission. The previous $1100 truck has needed no major repairs.
My son bought an ugly car for $300. It runs. He drove it up until it got wrecked.
For myself, working 2 jobs when my kids were little was out of the question. By the time you pay day care and/or a sitter, there wasn't enough gain to make it worth being away from my kids so much. It was work or get welfare, so I worked and made do. We lived in a paid for mobile home ($900) on our paid for land. No big fancy house. Or mortgage. I chose a plain life with security rather than a McMansion 1 week away from foreclosure. Oh and no sky high taxes on a big fancy house. YMMV
I have credit cards and use sparingly, usually. I've bought vehicles using a card. No full coverage insurance. No bank loan. Small amount of interest paid has improved my credit rating to excellent.
Like others, I shop smart, prepackaged foods are expensive and generally really suck, cook nearly all meals, most with leftovers in mind (lunches), do with out tv, cable, satellite. AC as little as possible. Usually only for sleeping. In winter the house is quite cool, I have sweaters and blankets. Entertainment tends to be cheap or free. DH has more $$$ tastes, but I try to temper him.
I don't make a lot, I'm a store clerk. I was a plant manager owned by her job. Made good money then, but had a sad life. I quit that job. Money isn't everything. I am not living poor now. i have most of what matters to me. Name brand furniture doesn't matter, nor does a nice stereo. My trucks have stock rims and tires. Guess what, they also roll.
can I improve things? Yes. But I won't stress out over the inconsequential. if I never again live in a stick built house, oh well. Mobile it is.
Right now I'm investing in peace of mind. A little preps, a little life.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Arkieready, Great post! Thanks. :D You have made many personal sacrifices and wise decisions and choices. You show a lot of wisdom and farsightedness. I am glad to hear that you have pretty much achieved peace of mind and freedom from worry to such a great extent. :D You also covered a couple facets that I did not get to so far in this Topic. Your Frugal, and thrifty lifestyle and a couple or so ideas that save thousands of dollars in cost of living expenses annually :) and enhance and boost your financial security are probably paying dividends now. :D You have set an example that clearly shows that many Americans live beyond their means just to live the "high life", or "keep up with the Jones'" You are probably happier, more contented and satisfied than millions and millions of Americans. :D I think you will do great in the future. Good Prepping and Best Wishes. :) P.S. I have a friend who worked 60 hour work weeks for his one employer for 19 years. He explained his experiences there in several lengthy conversations. His employer took advantage of him and used threats to coerce him to do as they wished. :( One of his major complaints was that the extra hours and wages put him into a higher tax bracket and that he gained little by working so hard and so much overtime. :x It finally wore him down and wore him out. :( He is 50 something and looks 60 something. :D He now works a new and different type of job and is much happier. :) :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Since many (probably the vast majority between 40 and 70 some y.o.s) members on APN are of the middle aged and older generations, :| I am fairly sure that many of you have been and are currently experiencing the same or similar things that I am. :| A limited or fixed income. High inflation rates and increasing prices for goods and services. No increase in income to keep up with the ever increasing cost of living. :| Recently, I have been doing a lot of research on ways to reduce my living costs. Would really like to get off Grid entirely and eliminate totally, many of my current expenses. :| Or at the very least drastically reduce them. Things like rent, phone, TV, internet, gasoline, membership dues to various Orgs etc. :| Subscriptions, Begging entities of all kinds including bleeding heart guilt trip Charities whose relentless begging is beginning to annoy me very much. :| Many send renew statements all year long hoping that I have forgotten when it is due for renewal. Ethical? Not in my opinion. Also offers to extend and pay 2 or more years into the future. Or Lifetime memberships. :| I do none of these. Rate increase notices. Most of their junk mail ends up in my fire starter bag for camp fires, fire places and wood stoves etc. :| I have been forced to cut many of them off entirely. My actions have nothing to do with caring about other people...especially the needy, sick, homeless, hungry, veterans, and others. :| It has everything to do with my ability to continue to make personal sacrifices to my own detriment. My own well being is starting to take on more and more importance. :| Learning to deal with it emotionally and rationally is the hardest part. (NOT FEELING GUILTY ABOUT IT) There are things in human nature that they use against us. :| I have found myself constantly crunching numbers and doing the math. I resist impulsive buying, giving, and saving gimmics, ignore advertisements and sales gimmics. :| Limited time offers. Buy one get one free gimmics. I tend to lean more toward quality and not quantity. Many wear out quickly, and disposable items are ignored also. :| My purchases are more and more leaning towards things that last, do not spoil, wear out or fall apart and do not need to be replace prematurely. :| I had a very good income a few years ago, but the continuing gouging has eaten up a pretty sizeable chunk of its buying power. :| I have sent this message to many of the gougers and warned them that they will reach a point of no more tolerance and will be cut off entirely if they continue. :| I'd like to hear from those of you with similar experiences over the past 6 years. :) :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 am

Even if I have mentioned this before, it is worth saying again as a tip to try to help with a month to month budget. Years ago I used to miss all the sales that actually do lower the prices on items sold at retailers. At first it was because of timing of the sales right after I had used up my money for a certain part of my budget such as groceries. Right after I had purchased groceries, here came the sales. No money was left in the month to spend on sale items. :) Many of the items on sale were those that I usually purchase at regular prices. This cycle continued to happen for years and years. So I could not "hit" the stores when these items were on sale. I finally got to the point where I could start to accumulate a buffer fund to use exclusively for that purpose. :) The way I build the fund is in my checkbook register. When I record a payment by check I record the real amount in the register, but round the deduction from my account up to the next highest whole dollar. :) The difference stays in the account and is hidden as "the buffer". Therefore the actual account balance is greater than what my check register reflects. :) When I balance my checkbook each month, I correct the "Buffer Balance" as well. When it reaches a certain point I can hit the stores with good sales prices on items I usually use and write a check using buffer funds. I must be certain that I do not spend all of the Buffer fund or "bounce" a check. This method requires absolute accuracy in math to avoid problems and overdrafts. :) Overdrafts at my bank have a $35.00 charge. That was also another reason to create the "Buffer" in my checking account. :) I use a pen with red ink to write buffer info into my register and keep it separate from the register balance. It has worked very well for me and I always double or triple check the math. :) :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

PreviousNext

Return to Financial Issues