• Advertisement

gold and silver coins

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Re: gold and silver coins

Postby daaswampman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:07 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:
daaswampman wrote:What is the difference between learning to build a fire or learning basic first aid, than learning how to recognise and test common silver or gold? It is not rocket science and a hell of a lot easier.

Ray is on track by staying with the familiar. From there gradually expand your knowledge. There is a lot of money to be made with just a little knowledge. That is why you see so many signs about buying gold. None of those buyers are college educated in metallurgy, nor are they any smarter than you.

The other part is your trading partner. You may know what its worth, but will they? Will they trust you? A silver dime is a silver dime, is a silver dime. It takes one more potential conflict out of the equation.

Well Ray, that is the whole point behind pawn shops, barter, flea markets, black markets etc! It is also very unlikely, that desperate people would have anything worth taking. I wish every prepper had a chance to visit a third world black market. They are not the welfare office and your not going to find anyone interested in your best interest. Considering the risk of making any trade, I doubt I would be making many if any. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Swamp, I'm assuming that i won't get to bartering until deep DEEP into a crisis and by then silver will be a common medium of exchange. I would expect there to be a new economy based on barter.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Until there are alot fewer people, it is unlikely silver coins would be a common medium of exchange. There is just not enough of them left to replace the currency we use. Whoever figures out what will be used and how to make change with it, is going to be very rich. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:25 pm

daaswampman wrote:Until there are alot fewer people, it is unlikely silver coins would be a common medium of exchange. There is just not enough of them left to replace the currency we use. Whoever figures out what will be used and how to make change with it, is going to be very rich. Swamp

Bic lighters?
.22LR?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby daaswampman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Cast Iron wrote:
daaswampman wrote:Until there are alot fewer people, it is unlikely silver coins would be a common medium of exchange. There is just not enough of them left to replace the currency we use. Whoever figures out what will be used and how to make change with it, is going to be very rich. Swamp

Bic lighters?
.22LR?

As a Prepper, my goal is to have what I need and to mind my own business. When things normalize and there is a degree of safety, I plan to make a lot of money.

Common over the counter medications that store well comes first to mind. So does little luxuries that people will dearly miss and surely need. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:41 pm

Whadaya want in trade for a bowl a gumbo?
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

RayMac1963

Postby daaswampman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Gumba ala Detroit? Urban Harvesting? Swamp
daaswampman

Postby RayMac1963 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:11 am

No... some good old, "i'm coming down there for the real thing" Louisiana gumbo! Next time on on my way to see Mickey Mouse i can make a right at Atlanta. When i came down after Katrina to look at some construction work i swear i gained 10 pounds in 3 days.

RayMac1963

Postby Staying Alive Comedy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:24 pm

I have been stockpiling a large collection of baseball cards and pokemon cards that I will use for bartering if SHTF. "I'll give you a two charmanders and a pikachu for that glock!" I'll say.

Should work.

Have a peek at what we are doing here:
Staying Alive Comedy

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:22 pm

That only works if you are an educated beekeeper, not allergic to stings, have a location to keep the hives and hope the bees don't die off. I can buy gallons of honey a lot cheaper than I can a few hives and bees.

Beginners hive $295.
Hives $275

Add medications, bee feed, smokers, and all the other stuff you need.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Old, those prices are way off. I'm purchasing seconds for less then 10.00 a piece. Got a great source, if your interested let me know. Happens about twice a year.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby eochief66 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:21 am

I can buy honey for $3.65 a lb. at the local co-op, bring your own jars. I used to get it from the guy that sells it to the co-op but I had to spend gas to get to his farm, so now I get it when I want it, in town!
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Financial Issues