• Advertisement

Making money on the side

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Making money on the side

Postby tamtbell » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Good evening all,
I haven't posted a whole lot as of late but just thought to come here because I had a few minutes before dinner prep starts.
I've chewed over and chewed over this idea.
Anyone think of a neat money making idea on the side if/when the shtf? Something you could do now and later could still apply. I use the later could still apply because in my book things like Mary Kay, Amway or whatever don't work when the shtf simply because first and foremost who is going to want to buy makeup? Or whatever. But also how would you get said products to sell if everything is broken down?
So I guess then it all goes down to skills? But then what kind of skills would you/could you use to generate income? I'm a gardener (almost Master Gardener in Alaska, just need to do my volunteer hours) and I'm very good at preserving. I use that for barter for meat currently.
I also raise my own meat rabbits. My son and I are going to start to learn how to tan the hides so we can sell them. I'm pretty adept at foraging for wild mushrooms, wild edibles, etc. I knit but now a days I don't have as much time as my 9-5 job and then the HOA responsibilities I have and then the everyday family life consume most of my time. Anyone have any ideas?
So thoughts?
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Making money on the side

Postby LeeLynn » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:36 am

Tamtbell ypur skill set would serve ypu well anywhere. As for myself i can build, brew spirits, can roof with wood slat shingles, but I also have books on soap making, candle making, blacksmithing, and so on.
LeeLynn

Postby Wisely_Prepared » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:42 am

Soap and candle making would come in handy after SHTF, and they are rather in demand even nowadays.

You could also be someone who makes herbal tinctures and medicines to barter with others. That may not be ideal to make money now but after shtf people will need medicines
Wisely_Prepared

Postby NJMike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:56 am

It sounds like you already have several skills, and already barter for goods or services. You'll have to decide whether you need to increase that activity, or add something to the mix.

The usefulness of these things depends on the nature of the SHTF. I don't know if "making money" will be the desired outcome in many SHTF scenarios. I often think about economic downturns and food shortages. What is the sense of income, if money has no value? For example, if the SHTF is a food shortage, and one has a skill or trade that's non-food related, then they may not make much money at it. That money is also not what they really would want if it can't buy much.

Also, there's the factors of raw material and time, inventory, and market when considering a SHTF job. Let's take the rabbits vs. knitting mentioned.

Rabbits make themselves (without much help), and people need to eat. Seems like a no-brainer for SHTF.

Knitting, while a useful skill, might provide better dividends in a very long term scenario if raw materials can be had and if the efforts are worth it. One might analyze their own circumstances and come to a conclusion that stocking items vs. manufacture could be a better choice for them. Of course in present day, one can still knit and perhaps sell items for a profit if they find the right market.

My own side thing was going to be chickens. I had to relocate and that changed things. They're on my "to do" list when I move again.

I also brew. It's not that labor intensive but does require knowledge and perhaps a little skill. I chose to brew mead which is honey based. I don't live near a good source of local grains to make beer the focus of a long term strategy. I do keep an inventory of honey for mead. It's shelf stable. Alcohol if I have time to brew, or just the honey as a sweetener, would be desired items.

When I move again, I'll be establishing beehives to give myself a long term source of honey. Otherwise I have a few other handyman and crafting type skills and would apply them as needed. Currently though I make a decent wage and time is in short supply. I've been considering supplemental income though, so I've been mulling over some 1st world options (e.g.-Ebay, Craigslist, Etsy, flipping purchases, 2nd job).
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby tamtbell » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:00 am

Actually I do make soap as well! I've thought of raising angora rabbits only for their fur(wool) but that I have to weigh the cost of food vs the revenue made from the wool. I do know how to brew wine/mead however I don't drink. Hubby has talked about learning how to make beer but he's been talking about that for the past several years. Haven't seen any forward momentum there. I'm badly wanting to get bees for the backyard. That'll help with both the garden and I'll get honey.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:51 pm

I can make any kind of clothing, reupholster, make drapes, curtains, you name it, should be useful
if you can get fabric. Sure don't know how to weave it though.

Know how to garden, can, bake, etc, will be constrained by age.

Can trap rabbits, not sure I could hit a squirrel, DH could the deer and turkeys behind us. Plenty of
fish around here too.

DH is mechanical, can weld, run equipment, repair most anything electrical, plumbing, HVAC, but
might be a problem.

Have gennys, a 7500 gas, smaller gas, and a 7k diesel, so ok on those, have both diesel and gas vehicles.
Backhoe, tractor, dumptruck, could do work with those if you can get fuel.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Staying Alive Comedy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:28 pm

I have some basic mechanical / building skills. I also have a little bit of gardening experience. With time I could get better with both of those to the point where I might actually be able to make a sustainable living through it. I also am considering doing martial arts training, maybe I could make some money or barter my skills as an instructor down the road a ways?

Have a peek at what we are doing here:
Staying Alive Comedy

Postby IceFire » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:00 pm

I can sew...make and repair clothing, quilts, etc. For after SHTF, I have a functional treadle sewing machine, and a good-sized fabric "stash". Also sell excess eggs from our chickens, have the garden, etc.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Financial Issues