• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Hidden Doorway

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Re: Hidden Doorway

Postby az1990 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Okay, the best place to find a hidden door to create a safe room or some place to conceal weaponry is a door made by Custom Service Hardware called the invsidoor. I think they are in Wisconsin. These guys have a door that is geared for this sort of thing. From their site they say the door ready to hang in an existing door opening 36x80, so says the video. The video they have on the site also mentions that it comes so it can be hung as an in-swing or out-swing. I have also seen their add in American Hunter. They also sell a pivot hinge if you want to build your own door. Anyway if you are looking for a door that can fit into an existing opening sounds like this would be the place to look. I don't have one but I have looked into a hidden bookcase door.
http://www.cshardware.com/Invisidoor/default.asp
az1990

Postby TheLight » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Build a wall of cabinets. In one of the cabinets build a slide-away back wall. it would conceal a door that opened in to the room.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby boltactionreducer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 pm

redneck wrote:It would be hard to say which way to open it. I was thinking out and have a couple of sheets of peg board on the wall and run 1 by 3 on the seam but where they moved with your door. Also make sure your door don't drag and leave marks on the floor the other is you could make a couple of your peg hanger to lock it from coming open if someone pulls on a tool hard.

I have friend who has a hidden entrance i say entrance because its like a half door in size leading to the open space under a long flight of stairs going to his basement at any rate in one of the panels used as decoration on the false wall is two slots housing heavy duty magnets which slide back in forth to hold the door shut before he started using a buffer between the magnets it left marks he tried to cover them up but there still visible and it pisses him off to no end as he thinks some one is going to find it not that it would matter as there is a welded rebar cage behind it.
boltactionreducer

Postby kappydell » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:43 am

i did the pegboard thing to hide a door. the door opens into a concealed 10 x 28 room. I covered it with pegboard, and put a clothes rack that hooks over the top of the door on it. On those I hand various and sundry ropes, hoses, belts, work apron, chore jacket, etc. Where they don't hang down I have pegs holding various hand toolsm neatly outlined with magic marker. Below I slid a small table/bench that I made to just fit in the slight recess, extending out for a work table. Then storage boxes below. Looks like a small work bench. I also added shelving along the wall near the door (the cheap plastic ones from wal mart work fine) holding the usual parts and miscellaney that accumulate near any work area. To access, slide the bench aside, reach under the clothes and open the latch. Works for me, and was not too expensive for my fixed income, but Im putting locking casters on the work bench, or some foot that glides easier and more quietly so it moves aside quicker. works for me.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby redneck » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

boltactionreducer wrote:
redneck wrote:It would be hard to say which way to open it. I was thinking out and have a couple of sheets of peg board on the wall and run 1 by 3 on the seam but where they moved with your door. Also make sure your door don't drag and leave marks on the floor the other is you could make a couple of your peg hanger to lock it from coming open if someone pulls on a tool hard.

I have friend who has a hidden entrance i say entrance because its like a half door in size leading to the open space under a long flight of stairs going to his basement at any rate in one of the panels used as decoration on the false wall is two slots housing heavy duty magnets which slide back in forth to hold the door shut before he started using a buffer between the magnets it left marks he tried to cover them up but there still visible and it pisses him off to no end as he thinks some one is going to find it not that it would matter as there is a welded rebar cage behind it.

Have him try the MR Clean magic eraser it might do it if not just have him paint. That is a great ideal might give a try on next one I build.
If a man thrive on other peoples labor will he survive on his own labor?
redneck
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby bcguy01 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 am

I just turned an old hallway closet in to a hidden room at my old house. I framed, sheetrocked and painted the old way in the hallway. then i went in to the walkin closet it backed up to and maid a small door way that i hid behind peg board. I actually had people break into my house and they had no clue it was even there
bcguy01

Previous

Return to Construction Cornerstone