• Advertisement

Wood Pellet Stove

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Re: Wood Pellet Stove

Postby uptime » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:54 am

I have had my pellet stove for about 20 years and love it. We also have a woodstove but it gets little use. Except for needing to clean the pellet stove every day or so, it requires little attention. If the electricity ever went off, I'd just switch over to the woodstove. I generally buy pellets when the cost is low and buy several tons (40 lb bags and 50 bags per ton. I usually pay about $200/ton). If you have an inside storage space, you could buy several years supply. A battery back up is available if you felt a need for it. While I use wood too, it is messy, buggy, and can't make it very long between reloading. Usually a bag or two every 24 hours is ever needed. This is really nice even heat. Keep in mind that a pellet stove only needs a 4" diameter flue and it can be installed out a vertical wall.

I would like to mention also that most stoves (wood, pellet, etc) are using too large a flue. Modern wood stoves should have only a 6" diameter flue AND, it should be well insulated to avoid buildup of creosote and to maintain a good draft. If you are using a typical masonry flue, it's likely way oversize and uninsulated (leading to chimney fires and/or poor use of wood).
uptime

Postby 98dot6 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks for the info. What exactly requires electricity on the Auto-feeding models? I assume it might be for 1) a thermostat/controller, 2) an electronic/auto ignition, and possibly 3) a blower? Which make/model have you been using? Thanks again.

uptime wrote:I have had my pellet stove for about 20 years and love it. We also have a woodstove but it gets little use. Except for needing to clean the pellet stove every day or so, it requires little attention. If the electricity ever went off, I'd just switch over to the woodstove. I generally buy pellets when the cost is low and buy several tons (40 lb bags and 50 bags per ton. I usually pay about $200/ton). If you have an inside storage space, you could buy several years supply. A battery back up is available if you felt a need for it. While I use wood too, it is messy, buggy, and can't make it very long between reloading. Usually a bag or two every 24 hours is ever needed. This is really nice even heat. Keep in mind that a pellet stove only needs a 4" diameter flue and it can be installed out a vertical wall.

I would like to mention also that most stoves (wood, pellet, etc) are using too large a flue. Modern wood stoves should have only a 6" diameter flue AND, it should be well insulated to avoid buildup of creosote and to maintain a good draft. If you are using a typical masonry flue, it's likely way oversize and uninsulated (leading to chimney fires and/or poor use of wood).
98dot6

Postby uptime » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 pm

98dot6,
My pellet stove is a Whitfield. I'm not sure they are made any longer. It is a top of line stove though. The only electrically powered components are the auger, which feed pellets into the fire box, and two blowers - one is an induced draft fan to push the products of combustion out the chimney and fan which circulates heat within the home. Probably a total electrical load of less than 100 watts. It has a 60 lb. feed hopper which usually lasts about 1 1/2 days on the setting I use. I use a typical propane torch to light the fire, thereafter it sustains it's combustion with no external power. The propane torch gets the fire going in about 20 or 30 seconds. A standard propane torch cylinder lasts me about two years. There is never a trace of smoke from the stove even when it is being lit.
uptime

Postby scout1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:58 pm

I've had both a wood stove and I currently have a pellet stove. I much prefer the wood stove over the pellet stove. We used to have land with plenty of trees and I would cut my own wood. Now we are in town so I went with a pellet stove. A 40lb bag of pellets where I live is around $5 (they used to be much less a few years ago). The stove blows out heat via an electric blower and the hopper turns automatically so yes, it has to be plugged into power to operate. It's a different type of heat tho. The wood stove radiates heat for hours after the fire burns out. The pellet stove blows out heat only when it's burning and you can touch the sides so there is hardly no radiant heat. I really miss the radiant heat off of a real wood burning stove plus they are typically much cheaper to buy than a pellet stove.
scout1

Postby shabby » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:44 pm

wood wood wood
Visit my website. if you dont know how to get there, you dont know much
http://hzziy7earducymzz.onion/
shabby

Postby abioyewilson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 am

I think Lynda is right. just go with a regular wood stove, which saves you electricity bill too.
abioyewilson

Postby sageprice » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Why don't you put in some effort and make a rocket mass heater. It is my understanding that they are extremely efficient and only burn 1/3 of the fuel and have virtually no visible smoke.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Construction Cornerstone