• Advertisement

1L Soda Bottles Bldg Material

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

1L Soda Bottles Bldg Material

Postby pelenaka » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Got this link through a fb feed might have even been APN anyways what do you all think about this method to build a berm infront of my home's entrance doors ?
Or as a component in a safe room in my cellar. I was thinking I can line the wall that faces outward to the rest of the cellar with flat stones, which would match the rest of the cellar walls.
The idea being that if someone took a step or two down the cellar stairs what with barley any natural light & their flashlight all they'd see is a cellar.

http://freepatriot.org/2013/12/07/ameri ... every-day/
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Re: 1L Soda Bottles Bldg Material

Postby Everyman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:23 pm

deleted by author
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:46 am

It would also add thermal mass to the cellar and help regulate the temp. Can't get the link to open, will check later.
Fullmoon

Postby pelenaka » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I'll try and find a back door in to that article.

here's a few more links that sparked my interest
antique - http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-p ... dings.html
Not for NY - http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2011/05/ ... c-bottles/
pelenaka

Postby Fullmoon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Those are interesting structures, its always a good thing to take a throw away - nuisance material and put it to good use. The beer bottle house seems more structuraly sound but it might take me a while to consume 50,000 beers to get the building material. :rofl: Have you ever heard of a firewood stack house? It was a very popular construction method up in the back country of Canada a few years ago. You lay up 16" pieces of seasoned split firewood in a mortar base similar to laying bricks so the finished walls are a solid 16" thick. Way better thermal value than glass bottles or plastic containers. Wood should be split and set to dry out for 2 years, the bark pops off and you get a good bond with the mortar. Real solid feeling once completed. Very similar construction method as bottles.
Fullmoon

Postby pheniox17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:28 am

on the topic, look up man made island, there is a bloke, that made a island out of 100% recycled materials, and the building base was bottles
it's from the internet, it must be true -Abraham Lincoln
pheniox17

Postby pheniox17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:37 am

it's from the internet, it must be true -Abraham Lincoln
pheniox17

Postby Fullmoon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:00 am

Thats an interesting concept, I'm wondering what the effects of UV light rays and salt water will have on the duration of those plastic bottles?
Fullmoon

Postby pelenaka » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 am

pheniox17 wrote:http://dornob.com/recycled-paradise-amazing-man-made-floating-island/#axzz2nEhOUY86

better add a link

pheniox, I enjoy that site gets me to thinking :smartass:

I've made fly catchers outta plastic soda bottles. Lasted 3 or 4 years out in full sun.
pelenaka

Postby wfduggan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:51 pm

In my experience, old methods work best, cmu block, stone, timber frames, brick and mortar, stick frame, poured concrete, cord word(mentioned above), etc are best. I would be cautious of incorporating plastic 1 ltr bottles as they will degrade from UV exposure in time and you would have to find some way to fill the void. proven methods are best IMHO. The plastic will probably degrade in a few years. Having said that I built my home in 2009 and it seems like it was just yesterday. A few years will pass quickly and you'll probably have to make repairs where the plastic pieces have failed. That said, I also have a distaste for plastic siding.
Making off-grid living a reality for others.
wfduggan
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Why in God's green earth would you want to mess around with such an obtuse time consuming method - when you don't have to? .... stuff like that is for 3rd World arm pit countries .... just go down to Home Depot and buy either concrete block or build a stud wall and reinforce it .... you need to think about building codes and future sale of that property .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby wfduggan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Illini Warrior wrote: .... you need to think about building codes and future sale of that property .....

And insurance. Insurance companies will look at construction methods.
Making off-grid living a reality for others.
wfduggan

Postby pelenaka » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:32 pm

this idea is for a post-shtf world
pelenaka

Postby DVC JACK » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:29 am

Illini Warrior wrote:Why in God's green earth would you want to mess around with such an obtuse time consuming method - when you don't have to? .... stuff like that is for 3rd World arm pit countries .... just go down to Home Depot and buy either concrete block or build a stud wall and reinforce it .... you need to think about building codes and future sale of that property .....
Or just use common sense.
DVC JACK

Return to Construction Cornerstone