• Advertisement

Metal roof over shingle

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Re: Metal roof over shingle

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:19 pm

metal roofing isn't even allowed around here much less putting it on a questionable deck with 2 shingle layers .... I wouldn't do it on even quik flip much less a house I intend to own for a long period of time ....

besides local zoning and insurance .... look toward the re-sell .... I question whether it would pass inspection for a Fed loan of any kind ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Gunns » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:metal roofing isn't even allowed around here much less putting it on a questionable deck with 2 shingle layers .... I wouldn't do it on even quik flip much less a house I intend to own for a long period of time ....

besides local zoning and insurance .... look toward the re-sell .... I question whether it would pass inspection for a Fed loan of any kind ....

What state you live in? Metal roofs are much superior to asphalt, in any weather.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ohiofarmer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Gunns wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:metal roofing isn't even allowed around here much less putting it on a questionable deck with 2 shingle layers .... I wouldn't do it on even quik flip much less a house I intend to own for a long period of time ....

What state you live in? Metal roofs are much superior to asphalt, in any weather.

Standing seam has a clean look and a great warranty. The old barn metal roof is a different product. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Ours is standing seam, it gives a beautiful look and has a 40 year warranty. We will never have to put another roof on our
house in our lifetime, pending tornado or something like that. However because it was 12 12 pitch and we had lots of cutting for various roof details it was $28k.

What state are you in they wouldn't approve it? If fastened correctly its superior in wind or whatever conditions. You see it everywhere anymore, some policies give a discount. And there are all kinds for specialty looks.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby arkieready » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:12 am

Some places the dump won't accept shingles like regular debris. You rent a dumpster and pay extra for disposal. I don't know why! If we can live under them, why can we bury them in a land fill. Disposal isn't cheap. But I'd still opt for metal, and remove all shingles. If it were my home. a shop, shed, etc is a different story.
Synthetic felts are not cheap either, but are stronger and far, far lighter in weight. I don't sell much double bubble insulation. Not sure why. Hadn't thought to research why that is.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:37 am

The amish did ours, they put rolls of some type of stuff under it. Kind of looked like foam to me that you see in packing, I don't know if that's the double bubble you are referring to, it was fairly flat. We have metal on everything except a garden shed and if we ever change it it will have metal. It's good stuff.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby LeeLynn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:52 am

You have two concerns with going over your old roof. One is if they don't use purlins then the expansion and contraction of the metal will wear down over the shingle and when the metal sweats now you have moisture causing the roof to rust from the inside out. Second, when considering the weight of the roof, the systems installed are not your only issue,you need to consider snow loads as well. Each 10 X 10 section of roof is holding almost 250 pounds of shingles. Add your second layer and you're close to 500 pounds in a 10 X 10 area. Put snow and ice on there along with the metal and you get the picture. Remove those two layers, check your decking, install ice and water shield in the valleys and over the eves, install felt, and then do your metal. Standing seam is the way to go but agricultural panel is fine too.
LeeLynn

Postby wfduggan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:50 pm

go with your building code, I am a roof consultant and my professional opinion and code in most municipalities is only two roofs total. Adding another roof will mean you have 3. One of the reasons that only two roofs are allowed is to reduce fuel in case of fire, most roofing materials are highly flamible and add fuel in event of a house fire. as mentioned elsewhere you get into total dead-load of the roof assembly. My vote is for removal down to the existing substrate and replace, since you already have two roofs on it. Check with local municipal codes though.
Making off-grid living a reality for others.
wfduggan
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Fightheat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Thank You! to all who took the time with me I appreciate it I am still waiting to hear a final decision on building inspector.
Fightheat
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby JimET » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:19 am

I know this is an older post but this may give others an option when doing a metal roof. It looks like it may work well to keep some heat out of the attic area.

http://www.houstoncoolmetalroofs.com/co ... ign-texas/

A friend of mind put metal roofing over their shingled roof and they said it cut their heating and cooling bill way down.
JimET

Previous

Return to Construction Cornerstone