• Advertisement

EMP qustion

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

EMP qustion

Postby fr8hauler2001 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:26 pm

I am not constructing but, have a storage unit in a defunked air force base weapons storage area. The unit is where rockets and rocket motors were stored.
I am wondering if the military construction in the 50's and 60's was made EMP proof. Or did they even know about them then?
fr8hauler2001

Re: EMP qustion

Postby Gunns » Mon May 18, 2015 12:39 pm

As long as its all metal and the doors close metal to metal with no air gap you should be good to go. Don't forget to insulate the inside so nothing is touching the metal.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby fr8hauler2001 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:51 pm

thanks Gunns, but the structure is concrete and don't know if it is reinforced or not. The door is metal but with a rubber gasket at the bottom. After thinking about what you said I guess it probably is not EMP proof. May have to build a faraday cage inside.
fr8hauler2001

Postby Gunns » Mon May 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Well dang. I am trying to figure out how to make a really big EMP box. I want one I can load up with lights, solar panels, chargers, inverters, truck and car electronics, spare parts for the gennies, etc.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:40 pm

if you have any doubt go in there with an am/fm radio and try to use it. also try to use a cb and a cell phone. magazines are directly part of the earth ground so i wouldnt worry about it. the concrete has metal mesh in it with dirt covering it. that is if its anything like the ones here on base in yuma from that time. those magazines are grounded in multiple locations and have been tested over the years to keep said grounding. explosives require it and in the cold war they knew what an emp was and knew how to protect against it... dont sweat it, youre good...
danthman114

Postby KC-2012 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:52 pm

I was just wandering if one could use a semi trailer or one of those pods that are being used for moving or shipping containers- a man in Tampa has started making small homes out of shipping containers? Not going to make one just asking?
KC-2012

Postby danthman114 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:58 pm

yes. the conex boxes are good to go. any faraday cage has to be grounded...
danthman114

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon May 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Grounded, like a lightening rod driven into the ground, or metal on wood, or concrete?

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Gunns » Tue May 19, 2015 9:52 am

Faraday cages are NOT EMP protection. Faraday cages protect against electrostatic and magnetic frequencies based on the wave length of the metal/openings in them. In other words any openings will fry the electronics in a Faraday cage during an EMP event or I should say, may fry them.

Using radios or cell phones or any electronic device in them as a test is invalid. Since each of those uses a specific frequency.

An EMP protected box or room has to protect against more frequencies. A Faraday cage of screening would only protect against a certain set of frequencies. Not saying it wouldn't help and it might actually work, but an EMP protection device would have to be solid metal.

https://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/effects/eonw_11.pdf

To be fair. On the flip side Jerry Emanuelson, B.S.E.E. says a Faraday cage can reduce the overall affects of the EMP to safe levels. So he says a standard Faraday cage can reduce the energy transfer by 10,000 times, preventing it from damaging electronics.

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/EMP-myths.html

My question is this. If you have electronics you want to protect and these electronic devices are important enough to you that you must have them to survive, than what do you do?

Its a matter of risk.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:06 am

Dirk Williams wrote:Grounded, like a lightening rod driven into the ground, or metal on wood, or concrete?

Dirk

grounded not isolated.
danthman114

Postby tenzicut » Sun May 24, 2015 9:02 am

Saw this at a different site and thought I'd share https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 3S2KDuVxaU

I need to build a faraday cage like this one for our house, and thinking it might be smart to have a small one to store a two-way radio in for our truck.
tenzicut

Postby Pedro wyoming » Sun May 24, 2015 5:22 pm

FR8,
There are over 4000 posts here about EMP. Here is a link.
search.php?keywords=EMP&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=500&t=0&submit=Search

Most are opinions (including mine) as we really do not know what is gonna happen. There are a few electical engineers here that have provided good info based on learned calculations. Starfish prime is the best real world exercise we have and some of that is uncertain. What we have is a best guess. Since i live in the highest voltage area of a deliberate attack, i have done the best research i could. I have a Quonset style shop that is all metal with a job site tool box inside. While it is not absolutely EM proof, the law of inverse squares reduces energy levels to less than .01% of what hits the outer building. I also have a small metal tool box in the back of a conex for backups to backups.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Sun May 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Pedro wyoming wrote:FR8,
There are over 4000 posts here about EMP. Here is a link.
search.php?keywords=EMP&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=500&t=0&submit=Search

Most are opinions (including mine) as we really do not know what is gonna happen. There are a few electical engineers here that have provided good info based on learned calculations. Starfish prime is the best real world exercise we have and some of that is uncertain. What we have is a best guess. Since i live in the highest voltage area of a deliberate attack, i have done the best research i could. I have a Quonset style shop that is all metal with a job site tool box inside. While it is not absolutely EM proof, the law of inverse squares reduces energy levels to less than .01% of what hits the outer building. I also have a small metal tool box in the back of a conex for backups to backups.

pW

I bet that works. Let's hope we never find out.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to Construction Cornerstone