• Advertisement

Bunkers

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Bunkers

Postby Gladothell » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:41 pm

I was hoping to either make my own survival shelter or order one custom made. I was wondering what some suggestions would be. How can I keep it a secret? What would I need to survive? I want to get one of those water creation devices but know I'll need some extra water, too. Should the bunker be over or underground? Thanks in advance! I would want it as hidden as possible somewhere in the northern states.
Gladothell

Re: Bunkers

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:59 pm

How do you create water? California wants to know FAST!

Bunker construction depends on location. Ground temps, water levels etc. How hidden do you need it? DO you intend to live in it or just a hidey-hole?

I have an in-the-hill house designed but $250,000 or so short to build it. I also need a hill.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Northern Freeman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:47 pm

When I try to dig a hole up here, Minnesota changes from the land of 10,000 to 10,001 lakes. No need to create water here most of the time. Check into earth bag or home made tornado shelters, some are easy and cheap but time-consuming.

oldasrocks, I too have been looking for a dehydrated hill. No luck so far.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:26 pm

I will not bore everyone to death, but I have a bit of experience with holes in the ground. First it ain't going to be a secret unless you build it yourself. My first one came in on an eighteen wheeler, not to mention the crane, dozer, and track hoe. Then there was the dump trucks to haul the dirt off.

My latest adventure went better due to location and the crew that put it together. It also cost a lot more. Was it worth it? It is to me. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Grizbrb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Well I have a hill ,shovel, pick and wheelbarrow . Now the nice thing is that hole has a spring running through it .
P.s. A lot of work is an understatement .
Grizbrb

Postby Fullmoon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Too many unknowns here to give a solid answer. Your local terrain will decide for you whether above or below ground is suitable. If there is no way to install a drain field around the perimeter of the structure, and daylight the drain pipe to exhaust ground water naturally, then you may want to consider an above grade unit. The best location is in the side of a hill where you can remove some ground, build the structure and bury it with the soil you removed. Hillside construction allows proper drainage so your supplies and gear won't get moldy. You won't have to carry building materials down into a hole which will save labor and speed up production. Once finished you can plant bushes and bramble over and around the unit for camoflauge. It allows for easy access in and out.
Fullmoon

Return to Construction Cornerstone