• Advertisement

Any carpenters or construction workers?

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Re: Any carpenters or construction workers?

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 am

MadAnt wrote:There is no problem with being jack of all trades, just bring your skill level high. Make yourself exceptional individual. If you can.

Then you wouldn't be a jack of all trades you would be a master of all trades, but most of us aren't super human. Most people will not be at the level of somebody such as Benjamin Franklin.
Photon Guy

Postby ajax727 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:37 am

Some people sell themselves short I don't , I am classed as a journeyman in all my trades . There are people that lack the ability to learn or to attain what they have learned to be used when needed . There is an old joke about a man who's tire fell off right in front of the nut house , the man who was a professor was in a bind all the lug nuts where gone , he had the spare but no lug nuts . A fellow who was locked behind the fence listen to the rant I have a spare but not lug nuts what am I going to do . The fellow behind the fence said sir no need to worry JUST REMOVE ONE NUT FROM THE OTHER WHEELS THAT WILL GIVE YOU THREE ON EACH WHEEL . So the professor removed one lug nut form them and put the spare tire on . The professor thank the fellow and ask is there anything I can do for you , he said YES TELL THE DOCTORS I AM DEAF NO BUMB ......
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Justmeandher » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
My school had computer class too. I see no reason why schools wouldn't teach certain vocations as well as stuff such as computer class. And there is no reason most 16 year olds couldn't safely handle the tools you use in shop. In most states people drive at 16.

Photon, I was trying to be sarcastic. ;) I think schools should have a shop class. If anything, the kids could learn which end of the hammer to hold.
Justmeandher
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Justmeandher wrote:
Photon Guy wrote:
My school had computer class too. I see no reason why schools wouldn't teach certain vocations as well as stuff such as computer class. And there is no reason most 16 year olds couldn't safely handle the tools you use in shop. In most states people drive at 16.

Photon, I was trying to be sarcastic. ;) I think schools should have a shop class. If anything, the kids could learn which end of the hammer to hold.

Surely you jest!!! Allowing children to use a hammer in a public school! You might as well tell them to bring Dad's AR to school! Other students might feel threatened or bullied! Stop the violence and register those hammers!!!
Attachments
hammer.jpg
hammer.jpg (6.51 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:27 am

Well my husband is a master but I brag on him to much and people likely don't want to here it.

He is a journeyman, used to run long boom cranes, and any kind of equipment there is. He was so excited about lasers when
they came out the company had him go to classes and teach guys how to use them, a lot of the older men fought it like crazy
and yet he was one of them.

He got into computers and loves them now has an Ipad, an I phone, anything with bells and whistles, in that regard I like my
old TMobile, prepaid, he is going to drag me kicking and screaming into the new stuff.

He just finished welding bracing on the water tank bracket for my motorhome, he taught himself acetylene and electric welding.
He had a problem with his welder, took it apart and fixed it! Does electrical trouble shooting and fixing some mechanical items
on the diesel engine. His only limit is some specialty tools and having the equipment to lift and work on big stuff like that.

He bought a diagnostic deal and figured out what was wrong on a computer on an old truck I bought and fixed it. I really
mean there is nothing he can't do, he doesn't have time for it all.

He ends up training young engineers on projects he is on and they appreciate it. He is not arrogant and to know him you likely
wouldn't think he knows. I wish I could be like him, I'm afraid I am a bit arrogant, sorry, but those here likely know it.
What he doesn't do well at is paperwork, detail, and that sort of thing and I do so honestly, not modestly, I think we make
a pretty awesome pair.

There I tooted our horns but we could make it in tough times if we had too. But we will be 70 so I think age might get us
but who knows both of us have family members mine lived to 100 and one over, his pretty old but alzheimers is in his
moms family.

Anyway I agree any skill you can pick up do it, even if you don't know it all knowing something will help you through life
even if it doesn't all crash and burn.

Hubby now is getting ready to start supervising a pipeline project in Africa, it will only last about a year, he wants to do it bad
so I said go ahead, though I really wanted him to retire instead, sigh.

And yes we are both still eagerly learning anything we can.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ajax727 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:03 am

A big pat on the back for his drive to learn , a true Jack of all trades . Be proud and yes you do have bragging rights .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Roman2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 am

I'm a professional roofer, and an experienced woodworker. But I am also a jack of all trades when it comes to doing stuff around the house...plumbing, drywall, carpentry,painting, concrete & brick work, armour making for my reenactment hobby...over the years I have worked in tree trimming, landscaping, general carpentry and asbestos removal, as well as installing or repairing nearly all of the roofing products available in this country.
Roman2

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Yep, lots of hardworking knowledgeable people around and what industry has forgotten is you don't have to have a degree to be smart
or able to learn and willing to work. They act like people that work with their hands are less then them. I have seen it consistently
and its bunk.

I was fortunate to get a degree but my husband has for most of my working years, which had to be stopped to take care of family members,
out earned me.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Yep, lots of hardworking knowledgeable people around and what industry has forgotten is you don't have to have a degree to be smart
or able to learn and willing to work. They act like people that work with their hands are less then them. I have seen it consistently
and its bunk.

True enough. I know this guy who never even finished high school and he now runs a very successful business doing yard work, remodeling, and all around handyman stuff. On the other hand there are people with master's degrees who are out of jobs.
Photon Guy

Postby Pedro wyoming » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:30 am

Maybe they can hold a hammer. These youngsters cannot read a tape measure and are hopelessly lost when trying to add fractions.
i spent a decade in construction and and the lack of skills among "journeymen" technicians was deplorable.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby happysurvivor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:08 am

terrapin wrote:I started building houses in 1975. Been at it ever since.
Lost count how many I've built.

Before you go out and spend several thousand dollars buying the tools you will need,
get a handsaw, a hammer, a square....and build yourself a doghouse.

terp

I TOTALLY agree with building a dog house first. This is a great point terrapin makes! It will teach you a lot, and the dog will be more forgiving than a person if you make a mistake. Sure that is sort of funny because obviously the dog can't talk, but you don't want to get your zeal and enthusiasm crushed right out of the gate. So the dog (man's best friend) will help with that because they aren't going to criticize you. Instead it allows you time to learn, be positive to yourself, and figure out what you would do different next time. So the dog house is an excellent choice. The last choice is just get in with somebody that is handy to do it or show you. You probably have a skill set that other person will want. So it will make a great trade/barter situation.
happysurvivor

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:32 pm

We tried to buy a pole saw today. Their policy at that store is to show the customer how to use it safely. We are talking
about a $600 purchase.

The boy contacted his manager because he had not been trained on this before. So he and the manager go back, they
get it started but they can't get the saw part to work. I asked 3 times if there was some kind of lock or adj and could
we find it in the manual. The manual was in a sealed bag and they never opened it. My husband said its either a lock
or not seated. They said they would go ahead and get it going while we walked around the floor, so we did. They were
on the phone trying to find out what it was, no answer, now if we wanted to come back they would have the small
engine guy take it apart and look at it!! So hubby said would they reduce the next higher priced one from $650 to
$600 and we would buy it. Same scenario, no one would look at the manual. Finally I said we can't wait any longer,
just have to let it go for today. UNBELIEVABLE!!! FRIGGIN' UNBELIEVABLE.

You have people that know how to do nothing. A policy to show you how to use it and they don't know how! This
is the new face of America. These stores pay peanuts so get the lowest functioning fruit then wonder why sales
go down. Just disgusting the lack of any kind of knowledge anymore. No knowledge, no common sense, no nothing
in a highly technical society. Just sad.

We will buy it elsewhere.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby arkieready » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:07 pm

PS, it's your fault it wouldn't work. Some guys just cannot let a woman's idea be the right one.
I get to enjoy that scene frequently. I suggest something and they balk. They ask one of the guys and they either say the same thing or " I dunno, ask her". It's fun.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:09 am

My big flaw is assuming people I work with on different jobs know what they are doing . I forget that a some people have not been trained or even used different tools . I have tried to fix my flaw of assuming things , now I take time to make sure they know how to operate hand tools or equipment correctly and safely .
ajax727

Previous

Return to Construction Cornerstone