• Advertisement

BUILDING WITH STONE, LOGS AND TIMBERS

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

BUILDING WITH STONE, LOGS AND TIMBERS

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:52 am

This can be a very low cost way to build on a retreat property or bug out location where there is an abundance of suitable timber and stone nearby (totally off grid). It is a topic that I have plenty of knowledge, skill and experience in. :) I must make one thing very clear....It is very labor intensive and takes more time to do than more modern construction methods using conventional materials. :) Most often the materials are quite heavy, so the more people working on a project the easier is to do. The more tools and old fashioned devices one has the easier it becomes also. :shakeyes: Power tools are helpful also but one should have all of the old fashioned ones as back ups. Before attempting to get started on a project it would be a good idea to invest in some very comprehensive hardbound paper books on log construction, masonry, and building with squared timbers. :) Next, start gathering and purchasing the necessary tools to be used. :) These will be your major investments after the land has been acquired. I hope there are other Preppers out there who can contribute to this Topic who have real life personal experience and knowledge to share without just posting websites and click-on links, or how to referrals. :shakeno: If you have "been there, done this" your posts and replies are very welcome. :D And if you have not, well....not so much so :thumbdown: . :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Re: BUILDING WITH STONE, LOGS AND TIMBERS

Postby Grizbrb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 am

Been there ,done that , got the splinters and blisters to prove it . Current project is a fence in the tree line . Now if I had used wire fencing I would have to check it all the time for fallen trees and large limbs. I drive past a sawmill that burns its slabs all the time so ....can you say slab wood split rail fence . Takes lots slabs but only have labor for cost.
Grizbrb

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes, I know what you mean, log scraps or slabs from the first pass when logs are sawed into lumber etc. :D I lived in the Mountains for a spell, but way down in the valley there was a saw mill, and the neighbors hired a portable sawmill at there place to make timbers and lumber from the tree logs we cut there. :D And I got a some of the scrap from them just for hauling it away. Some was used for construction projects and most of it was used for firewood at the cabin. :D The bark was still on most of the pieces. Some was Doug fir and some was lodge pole pine. :D :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:57 pm

My Great Great Grandpa built a place south of Omaha that you would have to see to believe. I saw it once in the 70's. The only thing left was the stone frame. The walls are a good 4 ft thick and 3 stories tall. looking down into the basement it looks a good 20 ft deep. I estimated the building was at least 80' X 80' I guess he was trying to build a Scottish castle. I guess there was a well in the basement.

Mom says it was all built by hand. I can't imagine how many tons of rocks the family had to carry up the hill. There is no records on how long it took him to build it. My sister says some doctor bought it some years ago and rebuilt the inside.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Yep it can be strenuous to move the rocks to here they are needed, but the benefit of doing this pays of so much it is amazing. :D Years ago I took many photos of things that I built so I would have documentation and visuals to show when explaining my creations to others. :D I simply love working with wood and stone in any way possible. Do you?? Nature provides a lot of different materials that we can use to make ourselves comfortable in a primitive environment. :D When you make or create some thing you can see the fruits of your labors in physical form. It is SOooo satisfying and rewarding and thrilling. :D :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Return to Construction Cornerstone