• Advertisement

Strawbale compound

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Strawbale compound

Postby pengyou » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:49 am

I am considering buying some acreage in the desert, not only for a BOL but also a permanent dwelling. It would be a bit of a rough life, but I have always been interested in the desert - it would be a challenge for me to see how green I can make corner of it.

I have been reading and studying about this topic for a couple of years. I was thinking about building a compound out of 4'x4' straw bales around the home and useful land - garden, shop, etc. The straw bales would be covered with stucco (stucco to include a substance that is fireproof. The purpose of the compound wall:

make it more difficult for animals and hunters to saunter into my living space; provide some natural shade for plants; help me keep small livestock (chickens, rabbits, etc) accounted for, provide some shelter from the winds that constantly blow. It would be 100' by 100', give or take. It obviously would not be a secret - I would not treat it as a secret with the locals..

Any thoughts on this? I am especially concerned about security and what kind of position would I likely be in if the SHTF.
pengyou

Re: Strawbale compound

Postby pengyou » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:05 am

The purpose of using straw is because it is available in large bales - construction would go quickly - and hopefully would be cheaper than other media...would end up with 4' walls. This thread is not so much about the material being used, but the idea of building a compound in a relatively isolated, open area
pengyou

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:43 am

I'd be doing some research on using straw bales in your locale - good chance you'll have a considerable haul for decent straw - adobe, masonry hybrid or just a concrete construction could be cheaper ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Fullmoon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 am

The problem with straw bale construction is you will need to pour a footing to properly carry the weight of the bales. If you don't, the bottoms of the bales where they contact the earth will eventually rot, sag and crack the stucco, allowing desert critters in to burrow and nest in the straw. Straw is an excellent insulator but bale houses have always had a reputation for failing early. How do you permanently attach paperbacked wire lath to the bale walls? How do you secure a top plate to the walls to distribute the weight of the rafters and other roof loads? I see many areas with weak spots that could fail during a wind storm. Have you looked into EIFS construction? (External insulation /finish systems such as PollySteel?) These are easy to construct, sound proof, fire proof, bullet proof and permanent. One man can build a house by himself if he is willing . I have built several and was impressed with the finished product.
Fullmoon

Postby Gunns » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 am

I looked a lot at buying land in the desert and building a home. The wife finally decided it wasn't to her liking.

I was looking for land with rolling hills so I could build an Earth home into the hillside, using the sand to insulate the house. I would have combined that with Earthship construction incorporating water filtration, air filtration and greenhouse all into one.

Actually it isn't that expensive if you don't go overboard and try to automate everything.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:54 pm

I just love to see you guys trying to reinvent the wheel. In Mother Earth 50 years ago I was reading about straw bale, packed earth, old tire etc housing. All great for temporary housing at a large expense. I built a nice wood built geodesic dome to live in the 70's.

Straw bales in the desert to the rats would be like nectar to honey bees. They would smell it through inches of adobe. That would make the rattlesnakes a nice buffet. The cost of hauling good straw to the desert would be more expensive than pouring concrete.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby LadyDreamer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Lived in NM for 14 yrs.and found that even in cattle country straw bales were not that cheap (definatly compared to WI - new home) nor that plentiful, all bought up by the ranchers. Adobe bricks are the thing in the high desert. A lot more work if you make them but cheaper. Around our town cement blocks were used for fences around the homesteads. Great for keeping friendly critters in and the not so friendly ones out. Plus you could plant a whole mess of catus around the out side, that might keep some of the two-legged critters out too.
LadyDreamer

Postby pengyou » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks! I will leave the straw for other things, and continue my thinking. The idea of the land in the desert - it is cheap, and if I can put a small house with root celler and utility building on it for cheap, it will be my plan B. Plan A....not sure yet, but likely to be in North Carolina. Yes, it is a long haul from one to the other but not something I would do often. I have quite a number of friends in California that would be happy to come and use the cabin while hunting or fishing.
pengyou

Postby peekachoo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:25 pm

Dont waste your time and money! Look into ICF. We are not sorry we did.
peekachoo
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Return to Construction Cornerstone