• Advertisement

A Question for Electricians

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

A Question for Electricians

Postby derhaashund » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:06 pm

So, I found my heaven. My BOL / vacation / retirement home and....

It doesn't have any electric. The copper wiring was stolen. I am wondering if anyone with electrical experience can give me an idea of how much it would cost to rewire it. I'm just looking for rough ideas, so I know whether or not it is worth pursuing this property or just taking a pass on it.

The house is 2 stories, 12 rooms total. Full unfinished basement and full attic. Construction is block and frame. It is located in rural PA. Sorry, I do not know total square ft.

If anyone could do a guesstimate, as This is something I have no experience with, I would appreciate it.

:help:
derhaashund
Earn gift cards to build your prep stash here http://www.points2shop.com/l/45/default?ref=uin1456091242 or PM me for more info.
derhaashund
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Re: A Question for Electricians

Postby danthman114 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:45 pm

It would be impossible to even guess. How many rooms? What are the requirements per room? Call a local contractor and ask for a quote. Some will do it for free.
danthman114

Postby ajax727 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Dan is correct check with an electrical contractor .
It is difficult to guess how may feet of wire it will take and the wire ga. needed . Did they pull the panel box also ? If not then this would help on the wire size needed . Replacing the wires can be done it is not easy but it can be done . The value of the house should come down with the damage to the electrical system , it might offset the purchase price enough to balance out the repairs needed .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:54 pm

if it's been on the market for awhile - people have got quotes on the electrical - a local contractor probably knows all about it ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 pm

It's been years since I dealt with an electrician when I was remodeling the house I now live in. :) Calling a professional to come to that place and meet you there (with the owner present), to give you a ball park estimate for rewire, materials and labor time and any changes or additions or improvements or updates to current codes would the best thing you could do. :) I will say this though... mine was quite expensive in my opinion and it was thousands of dollars for what I got done and that was only the essentials and not the entire house. (2 rooms did not get done then). :) My house is not as large as the one you mention, but from what you said about it, it is probably 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. (+/-) when you include the basement. :) If the electrician has to do a fish or snake a pull wire through conduit you can expect the the job to be more difficult and more costly. If the basement has not been furred out with wall studs, that will need to be done first, then the wiring, outlets, switches, insulation, sheeting and the safety plates that cover the outlets and switches. :) Removing the wiring to steal would be considered both vandalism and theft here where I am. Your costs for a professional may be considerably more than here where I am so I would only say this...several thousand dollars. :) More than 2 and less than 6.(just a guess) Having never seen the place that is the best I can say, and that does not include ANY fixtures at all. :) Those you should purchase at Home depot, Lowe's, or a specialty store, and discuss installation costs with the electrician. Make sure you check out the contractor well before you make a deal. Deal ONLY with a local contractor who has been in your area for many years, is totally licensed, insured, and has experienced and efficient employees. :) They estimator is not usually the person who will actually do the work. and has a business office location you can go to. CYA. Get some references of the contractor if you can. :) Discuss the whole thing with the current owner before you buy the place. That is important. Inspect the place to see if other things need repaired or replaced. :) These things are important. And be sure to do some haggling and dealing with the seller and any contractors and do not allow yourself to be cheated, or gouged. :) More than one estimate up to 3 is best if they are no cost to get. Get it in writing on paper. Save all paperwork, receipts, and documents, and proof of payments made. :D Good Luck and Best Wishes, :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby derhaashund » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Thanks all. I know guessing is difficult on a sight unseen property.

"More than 2 and less than 6." Less than 6 isn't bad. I can live with that. I am more concerned about more than 15. Like I said, We've done minor jobs around the house ( a new outlet here, a new breaker there) but nothing this big.

I do have calls out to 3 local contractors and am looking for a few more. just maybe a waiting game now.
derhaashund
Earn gift cards to build your prep stash here http://www.points2shop.com/l/45/default?ref=uin1456091242 or PM me for more info.
derhaashund

Postby NJMike » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:33 pm

You'll be better served with the actual contractor quotes. Good luck.

I have a friend who vacated her home in a divorce, and returned to find drug addict neighbors had removed all her copper water pipes.

Aside from the wiring remediation needed, any concern with the fact there are people who steal copper wiring operating in the area?
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby derhaashund » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 pm

NJMike wrote:Aside from the wiring remediation needed, any concern with the fact there are people who steal copper wiring operating in the area?

There have been many similar thefts in my current area.

I use a website called city data to compare information on towns. If you are considering a move, I recommend it. The nearest town to me with a similar population is a little town named Gettysburg. It has higher crime rates in all categories than the area I am considering.

Lets face it, nowhere is perfectly safe. In the past few years the town that I live in saw a daylight burglary 2 houses north of mine and an early A.M. rape 2 houses south of me.
As with anything else, all I can do is be prepared.
derhaashund
derhaashund

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:03 am

We live in an area with little regulations, so don't have to get a contractor. My husband, thankfully, can rewire and is rewiring a house we bought now, he is familiar with the codes. In fact to be sure he goes overboard, he saves us a small fortune in knowing
how to do it all pretty much. But its not a good thing in not having more regs because many do shoddy, unsafe work.

Be sure and get a licensed one, and I'm betting its more then $6k, depending on the damage.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Halmic73 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Do this for me and I can give you a range...

Count of:
-receptacles
-switches
-ceiling fans
-ceiling lights
-name all electrical equipment, i. e. Dishwasher, refrigerator, water heater, baseboard heat, air conditioning, furnace or heat pump, clothes washer / dryer, etc.
-Service size (how many amps)
-is existing in romex or conduit?

They pulled out the wire so is there a covering on the walls such as paneling or drywall
If you ain't got time to do it right the first time you won't have time to do it right the second time.
Halmic73

Postby danthman114 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 pm

If your doing it yourself do yourself a favor and get an uglys book and break out your calculator and tape measure.
danthman114

Return to Construction Cornerstone