• Advertisement

Starting this off

A place for teachers, professors, and all public and private educators to discuss their methods of teaching preparedness to their students.

Moderator: medic94

Re: Starting this off

Postby lallen8029 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:45 pm

I would be interested in a pamphlet or book on how to start educating (reading, writing and maths) your kids the day after the SHTF, if there were no public schools to go to.......something to get non educators started in getting the kids back into the day to day habit of going back to school. Which actually could be comforting to many kids to get back to something that is familiar to them. Just an idea.
lallen8029

Postby prepper11 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:34 pm

IceFire;
Good thread. I am not a professional educator, but am actively involved in the public education system. Hope that qualifies me to comment here.

I am with DogBoy and Bekka Lee when they say:
How about history and social studies classes? All sorts of historical examples of rapid evaucations (Pompeii), forced relocation (Russian Pograms), and collapses of civil society (Beiruit).

and
I wish one of my teachers would of just got us thinking about how our grandparents lived. That in itself would open the door for self sustainability lessons. The dust bowl, or depression era.

My view is that our own history, when taught thoroughly and accurately is the best education there is for self sufficiency. It is in the very DNA of our national identity to strive, to survive, and to thrive. It is who are are, not just what we have done as a nation. The last 60 years of being fat and happy are an anomaly, the calm before the storm. History always humbles mankind.

Those within education who wish to rekindle this spirt need only vigorously teach our history as it really was, not as it is currently presented in revisionist form. As I see it, the beauty of this is that it does not expose the educator to being painted as "gun toting survivalist/prepper nut job".

Nathaniel Philbrick's book Mayflower as just one example, it is replete with real life stories of survival, preparedness and the consequences of failure to plan ahead. It is real history, taken directly from the journals of the courageous people who settled this country. It is fair to the native peoples without being obsequious. Once taught, it is easy as part of the discussion, to ask students "How does this apply today?" The other examples mentioned in the quotes above are equally powerful. We should teach them as well. We must however be wary of the tripe that passes for "history" coming from politically correct publishers of our text books today.

JMO, but I really believe we are only one generation away from restoring America if we set our minds to recapturing our public education system one classroom, and one school at at time. I am under no delusion, that we not are precariously close the edge from which there is no return. Now is the time for action.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
prepper11
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Everyman wrote:When my daughter was in grammar school her (public) school required each student to have an emergency kit that they kept at school in case there was disaster that prevented them going home. I don’t recall exactly what was on the list they sent home (it’s been 20 years) but I recall that it was fairly comprehensive and even included comfort items like a stuffed animal and a flashlight.

This wasn’t all they did. They had some training too. The one I remember most was “pool”….not swimming…”pool”. Our kids traveled on Ferries a lot so they were taught how to don a life jacket and jump off a 20’ high dive platform into the pool to simulate a ship abandonment. They would then paddle away from the “ship” and group up with their classmates to stay warm and be found. The Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers use to help with that training, they were fabulous to the kids.

Everyman, that is GREAT that your daughter's school did that! Around here, many kids had a real-life lesson in emergency preparedness and "bugging out" last summer when brush fires forced evacuations in several areas. That got the schools around here more interested in stressing emergency preparedness, and working it into the lessons. I also made a point of working preparedness, etc. into the lessons whenever I could.

I'm also working with some people from my church to get them started with prepping. Our church (and the entire presbytery, for that matter) became VERY interested in emergency preparedness in the wake of last year's fires. (Our church actually was in the "evacuation zone"--that DEFINITELY got their attention!)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby survivor210 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Check out the books, "Z for Zacharia" (not sure about spelling), and "Hatchet"- two examples of books that kids can read, write, do research, etc... (My son loved these) I work in a school that teaches gardening and some outdoor learning. It's a start... I agree this is a very important topic- I look forward to delving into further. Thanks for starting it!
survivor210

Postby Ecclesiastes 3 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:17 pm

If you wanted to teach about self reliance of our recent ancestors. How planning, health, food, shelter, navigation & mathematics (without a calculator),hunting, foraging, life saving improvisation and getting along with strange people can be useful, simply challenge them with the same challenges the Lewis and Clark expedition had and ask them to find solutions that doesn't involve electricity. A "what would you do?" situation.

It would be just as useful to cover the expeditions failures as well as their successes.
Mention the word "sextant" and you'll get some giggles. Mention "artificial horizon" and probably get blank stares.

I personally would save the Donner Party for an ethics lecture though.

Just an idea .
"The most prepared is one who learns to utilize everything and carry nothing" -Me
Ecclesiastes 3
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby CPswisher105 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Hello my name is Chase and my history teacher instructed us to do a project on sub cultures and i decided to do doomsday prepping because i found it very interesting after watching the show on television. I would love to be able to interview someone on their beliefs about prepping, the supply's they have, what they are prepping for, and things like that. Please let me know if someone is interested in helping me.

CPswisher105

Postby Everyman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 pm

CPswisher105 wrote:Hello my name is Chase and my history teacher instructed us to do a project on sub cultures and i decided to do doomsday prepping because i found it very interesting after watching the show on television. I would love to be able to interview someone on their beliefs about prepping, the supply's they have, what they are prepping for, and things like that. Please let me know if someone is interested in helping me.

We aren't Doomsday Preppers. We are long term Disaster Preppers.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby dogboy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 am

Chase, the folks on the TV show aren't the nut cases that the show makes them out to be. (Well... most of them anyway.) They don't believe that the preparedness is limited to one specific event on one specific day. They understand that life has good times and hard times and that it is a moral failing to expect others to provide for their needs rather than handling it themselves. We all know that by being prepared for little things makes us bettrr prepared to handle the big things, and if we can handle the big things, we can help everyone maintain order in chaos and hope in times of trouble.

As to your project, do a search for the discussions on the TV show, find the posts by a couple of the people that have been on the show, and contact them directly through the APN system email.
dogboy

Postby IceFire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Chase, as others have already mentioned, we aren't really "Doomsday" Preppers, nor do we "prep" for just one possible event/scenario. Actually, what we do that is now considered "prepping", a generation or so ago, was simply considered part of normal, everyday living! You made sure that you had enough food "put by" to see your family through to the next harvest (or beyond, if possible, in case of crop failures), made as much of your own clothing and other "necessities" as possible, and just in general made sure that you had prepared your family to weather the hard times.

The main reason we are here and do what we do, is that we believe that hard times are coming, and are preparing to take care of our families so that they will not be as greatly affected as they would otherwise be. That, and many of us are also taking steps to defend our preparations from those who did not bother to prepare for themselves, and who for some reason believe that they are entitled to take what we have sacrificed to gather.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Kim333 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 am

I love using literature to promote discussion and recommend Hatchet by Paulsen. He has a sequel that I need to check out. The Hunger Games is excellent. I like My Side of the Mountain, but students seem to find it boring. Articles about Tsunamis, Earthquakes and other natural disasters create topics for discussion. What I find interesting is that lately, reading programs, state reading tests and test prep books seem to be including a lot of these scenarios.....
Kim333

Postby Racer » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:26 pm

As a retired high school teacher and current school board member, I applaud efforts to help prepare kids for "what if". It teaches them to think and to live up to our Boy Scout motto..."Be Prepared".

"Keep on Keeping On!"
:clap:
Racer

Postby ag1785 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi everyone – I’ve recently become interested in prepping, so I’ve decided to focus on the culture surrounding prepping for a school project. I’ve always been one for being prepared for whatever may happen, but I wanted to learn more because I discovered how complex and systematic prepping for the future can be. There is so much information on the internet, but I want to know what true preppers believe, rather than just what people say about them. I would really appreciate it if you would fill out this short survey I created (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DV7TVHB) and give me any other feedback on your reasons for prepping and how it affects your life. All of your responses will remain completely anonymous and will be used solely for academic purposes. I hope to use this information to learn more about preppers and to hopefully change some of the negative views people have about preppers through educating them about the culture. Thank you.
ag1785

Postby daaswampman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 pm

You do not know how to make a good first impression. Hello - take a survey, is not going to work outside the "no deeper than dust - world of Facebook". If you would bother to read old posts "that will take time and effort", you will find a great deal of information and plenty of opinions on everything! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ag1785 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:15 pm

@daaswampman I understand your frustration; however, I am not taking the easy way out as you seem to believe. I am and have been reading previous posts to gather the large majority of my information; however, some of the questions I have, especially those regarding demographic information, are things that people generally do not (and should not) post on the general internet. I created the survey to provide those who choose to respond the greatest amount of protection and anonymity. I completely understand if you and/or other members of the community do not wish to respond, but I wanted to make my intentions more clear.
ag1785

Previous

Return to Educators