• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

National Discussion Concerning Prepper Symbol

Got a suggestion, idea? Tell us about it.

National Discussion Concerning Prepper Symbol

Postby mickyfb » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Recently, discussions have been launched concerning a common Prepper ‘symbol’. Several states, including Arizona, Texas and Minnesota have been debating over the use of an image that would allow us to recognize one another prior to an event and in some cases, after. After 20 plus pages of discussion, and numerous ideas and arguments, those of us that attended the Arizona thread came to several conclusions:

1. There are two clear schools of thought on a common symbol. One is of the mindset that it is too high a risk to OPSEC, and the other is of the thought that time is short and that risk is acceptable. This is simply a matter of personal choice.

2. Those of us that see a need for a symbol, feel it must be flexible in its application. It should be something that is recognizable to us, yet easily disguised to others. It should be something simple enough to replicate in any situation with minimal supplies (duct tape and a sharpie). It should be something that can be sewn into a patch, a flag, or a simple vinyl cut sticker. It should not have restrictions as to its size or shape.

3. It should not be steeped in mystery. No secret decoder rings or cryptic emails. It must be simple design that we can spread via the internet or word of mouth. It should not be used exclusively by members of APN, but by all preppers that see the need.

I have created a simple design that fills all of the above needs. Most of the people that agree on the need for a symbol agree with the design and some have already started using it. The purpose of this thread is ask for your input as a Prepper that would consider using the symbol to gain the attention of other Preppers in your area and to spread the word of it’s use, not to debate OPSEC. If you would like to debate how using such a symbol violates OPSEC, please feel free to start your own thread on the subject. Please remember to keep all dialog civil. Thank you and we hope to hear you opinions.
P!
mickyfb
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Re: Natioal Discussion Concerning Prepper Symbol

Postby 556lee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:41 pm

can i get +p++ LOL
YES I CAN
556lee

Postby ESSENTIAL » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm

What is your design?

Most States use oval black and white vinyl stickers all the time, to those that don't know what it stands for it will mean nothing. Keep it simple "APN" seems like the best design, those wishing to let others know that they are medics can just get a medic + sticker. The APN stickers could be sold through APN and for those that wish to display a location they can just put the typical matching sticker from thier State. To improvise one could simply put the APN on with Black electrical tape. Which is a good thing for any BOB. Time is
"One" seldom is the number that equals success.

"You may not need me, I may not need you, as a group we can survive"
ESSENTIAL
New York Preppers Network

Postby bane5150 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Here are 2 flags/patchs I whipped up with ideas that were posted by other members...Use it our dont its America. Its design is preppers will know what to look for and Non-preppers will most likely look right past it here they are...
[NOTE-these are symbols NOT logos]
P+multicam_Flag 1 jpeg.jpg
For medical professionals only
P+multicam_Flag 1 jpeg.jpg (44.97 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
P multicam flg 1 jpeg.jpg
For all other preppers
P multicam flg 1 jpeg.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Essential, APN has their own logo, See Conwaybob or North Idaho Patriot for availability of the most certainly beautiful APN stickers. This is nothing more that a low key, almost subliminal symbol that can be easily created by ones self to allow other preppers to know you are a prepper too in any given situation without the high profile APN logo. Nothing less, nothing more. If you like it, make yourself one. If you don't like it, don't use it. This is not something to distinguish APN members, it;'s just a prepper symbol.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ESSENTIAL » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks, I'll check with them. I'm concern putting a P! on the back of my Hummer might make everyone but preppers my enemy by making them think I'm saying P on you! LOL
"One" seldom is the number that equals success.

"You may not need me, I may not need you, as a group we can survive"
ESSENTIAL

Postby mickyfb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:48 am

This thread has been edited to remove the word 'logo' and have it replaced with symbol.
P!
mickyfb
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Re: National Discussion Concerning Prepper Symbol

Postby mickyfb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:04 am

The original design is a simple P! in black on a red back ground. It has evolved to a P! on the background color of your choice with colors having different meanings and finally to the simplest with bane5150's design on camo. The idea is primarily the P!. It can be used however you see fit. No size, color or shape constraints. It could be just the lettering if you wish.
P!
mickyfb
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby mickyfb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:07 am

As far as a meaning for the design P!, it's simple. The "P" stands for Prepper and the "!" stands for our sense of urgency.
P!
mickyfb
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby themichiganprepper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:03 am

So... on the different color backgrounds, would there be a RECOMMENDED standard?

I like this idea, and I'm thinking, if there is a prepper out there that I meet because there is a symbol on my truck, at least Ill have someone with like-minded items to barter with. Maybe even train with...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
TheMichiganPrepper
themichiganprepper

Postby SurvivIt » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 am

I guess I'm of a different opinion... I believe that advertising your status as being a Prepper is a self-defeating proposition.

Clearly the vast majority of the population is woefully unprepared for "situations" that may / will arise in the future; while THEY may be nine meals from chaos, WE are not.

When the masses are in the throes and convulsions of the chaos that will come, I for one don't want ANYTHING that may advertise my status as being "prepared."

Why put that P+ sticker on your cars? So that another prepper can recognize you from a distance for what you are, or is it more of an ego feeding thing... "I belong to a group and so here's my symbol of belonging?"

I wouldn't use a prepper symbol on anything that was public-facing, as OPSEC is going to be very, very important during the meltdown. You'll have to be the Gray Man - blending into the woodwork and not being different from anybody else in the crowd.

I do think, though, that the P+ is a likely contender; it is clear, concise, and not too easily confused with any other existing symbols.
SurvivIt
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby bane5150 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:59 am

Well lets say your on your way to your BOL and you run across a "problem" and u either get injured or loss your gear...As you continue you come across a P! or P+...Now your situation has improved...thats when you display a P! and aprouch using extreme caution cause odds are your being watched...They see a P!...now comes the time to make contact to make sure everything is on the level...Gut fellings feel right and you have just made possible freinds and recieve medical attention and a small amount of food at first....
Now Imagine same situation with no symbol of anykind...Are they cool, are they goona rob me, are they gonna kill me where I stand? Thats why the symbol is kinda important. we seem to have to repeat this everytime U DONT HAVE TO USE IT. This is not a "ego" thing at all. Its for ID at range so you dont get placed in the threat catagory. Only display it when you feel it is safe to do so if you dont want to "advertise".
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby bane5150 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 am

So far trying to even google this symbol gives you NOTHING. google P! and see what you get also check the images :rofl: nothing at all.
P!=About 17,840,000,000 results (0.19 seconds)
P+=About 1,450,000 results (0.10 seconds)

P!
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby themichiganprepper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am

I'm thinking if your not a prepper, you wont know what this symbol means.

I'm also thinking, if your not a prepper, your not going to be on a prepper forum, to know what this symbol means...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
TheMichiganPrepper
themichiganprepper

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 am

bane5150 wrote:So far trying to even google this symbol gives you NOTHING. google P! Flag and see what you get also check the images :rofl: google just P! and nothing at all.

:? So, I'm wondering if the more it is discussed, if it will eventually appear in a web search? -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Suggestions