• Advertisement

This web site needs a book on how to use it.

Got a suggestion, idea? Tell us about it.

This web site needs a book on how to use it.

Postby BugOutCenter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:26 am

Confession: I just signed up at this site and am having difficulty with the navigation. On the forum page I click the APN Blog link up in the menu bar, and I land on the Home Page - not what I had in mind.

Confession: I design and build web sites, have studied web usability and find this site less-than-optimally organized. Those who have spent considerable time here have probably found what they need, but that is not the test of a good design. The test is done with first-time visitors. There are now written and unwritten 'rules' for good web site design, and one rule, if I may give an example from this site, it that an active link should suggest what the destination will be, should a visitor click on it. The example I just gave will do. If one clicks on APN Blog, one would expect to land on a page with at the very least THAT TITLE somewhere on it. There are so many such examples from this site that it would not be worthwhile to list them all. It should not be necessary for a visitor to click a link in order to discover where it goes. And if it goes someplace the visitor did not expect, poor link design. If a visitor lands on a page after clicking a link and cannot identify the page as the correct destination, very poor design. The site 'looks' nice, but looks don't satisfy if it doesn't work.

Conclusion: I suggest that this site be visited by a person trained in web usability, have it analyzed, and listen to the results, then make a plan which can be carried out to make the site easier to navigate. Remember, a site must be designed with the visitor in mind, it should empower the visitor to achieve what he or she needs to do in as few steps as possible. If the visitor has to use the BACK button on the browser, the site's navigation has failed. If a visitor has to study a page for more than five minutes to figure out what he or she can do there or how to get to where he or she want to be, the site needs help.
BugOutCenter

Re: This web site needs a book on how to use it.

Postby ohiofarmer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 am

Ins't America great!! You can voice your views and thoughts. But on your first visit don't be so negative or condensing. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 am

Wow. I thought the site was self-explanatory and subject matter easily found. How have I survived all this time? :D
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby Justmeandher » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 am

BugOutCenter wrote: If a visitor has to study a page for more than five minutes to figure out what he or she can do there or how to get to where he or she want to be, the site needs help.

* sounds more like instant gratification issues

* it's a prepper website where we can learn how to adapt to different/unforeseen situations
Justmeandher
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby CarlosB4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:38 am

BugOutCenter wrote:Confession: I design and build web sites....

Conclusion: I suggest that this site be visited by a person trained in web usability....

I understand we are on hard economic times and jobs are scarce, but hey look things will get better. This really is not the way to go about drumming up some business and to be honest with you, Conclusion: I suggest if the format bothers you that much then by all means design and promote a Prepper sight 10 times more awesome and I will be the first to visit it but until then try to post something preparedness related here at least.
"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
"Ελάτε να τα πάρετε"

No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
CarlosB4

Postby 3ADScout » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 am

Confession: I abhor most "professionally designed" websites. They are not user friendly lack common sense in design.

Conclusion: having a "professional" web designer touch APN would ruin it. Perhaps the same "professional" web designers that developed the Obama care website could be called in!
3ADScout

Postby Gunns » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:06 am

I got to thinking and I really don't want to see advertisements for large breasted women and penis enlargement gadgets while I cruise through APN. Just saying.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby shawn1980 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:08 am

I've had no problems navigating the site and I'm somewhat technically challenged. I agree also that's probably not the best introduction post
shawn1980

Postby AuntBee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 am

Bugs...bug...BugOutCenter.... Maybe The o.p. was thinking "bug out" refers to debugging programs? :-p

If his post was an example of his sales pitch style, he probably doesn't get a whole lot of work.

Aunt Bee
CONFESSION: I HATE MARIE OSMOND'S COMMERCIALS!
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 am

I'm sure y'all are tired of hearing me say: "when I was in business", but here it goes anyway.

When I was in business, I really enjoyed throwing out young salesmen who were trying to sell me computer programs for my store.
I told them that I already had a computer between my ears and it worked just fine.

Reb
Can somebody please come spoon feed me my oatmeal?
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:58 am

Aunt Bee, let's hi-jack this thread! I can't stand Marie Osmond either. The OP will think we are not worth the trouble.

But don't you just love that Geico ad with the loner cowboy riding into the "The End" sign. Cracks me up every time. I have a sophomoric mind.

Reb
Jessie?
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby ajax727 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:09 am

Well sounds like a sales pitch .... on Osmond if she would behind her she might find that 50 pounds ...
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 am

ajax727 wrote:Well sounds like a sales pitch .... on Osmond if she would behind her she might find that 50 pounds ...

:rofl: :rofl:
You mean a rear view mirror?
Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 am

I visit a lot of sites but I don't have any trouble with this site at all. My only problem is starting a new thread and if I dug enough could probably find out how. Instead I just hijack a thread and move on. :D
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 am

SPAM by any other name is still SPAM. HELP I CAN'T FIND THE SUBMIT BUTTOM! Oh there it is. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Next

Return to Suggestions