• Advertisement

This web site needs a book on how to use it.

Got a suggestion, idea? Tell us about it.

Re: This web site needs a book on how to use it.

Postby Senah » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Guys, guys, guys. I think you got it all wrong. I think our OP is offering his services to help organize our site for free.

I think it's kind of sweet.

Thanks. You should talk with the head honcho though - we are just minions.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby MoosePath » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Am I wrong or isn't this the number #1 Prepper site on the web??? You don't get to be number one if the site is not user friendly. Plus I am electronically challenged, and the first time I used a computer I couldn't figure out how to turn it off so I pulled out the plug. That being said I have never had a bit of trouble with this site and I was even able to start my own thread once with out crashing the site so I think this site is fine just as it is. But then again, this is just a computer illiterate dummy talking.
MoosePath

Postby HisEyeisOntheSparrow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Pretty sure it's spam. My business website gets about one of these emails every day offering their "services" usually for SEO or web design. I have a great website- and great SEO for my area. ;) I think it's the new equivalent of cold-calling people.
HisEyeisOntheSparrow

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Well it took me almost 4 minutes to find my way around. I have an IQ in the low 80's and they tell me I'm a special person so maybe its too hard for him if he is a computer genius.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby TuapekaGold » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:34 pm

I am also technically challenged, plus a closet Luddite, but I also have no problems navigating this site. Pull back your critical, holier-than-thou ego and see what a fantastic mine of information, woth some very interesting, diverse people on board.
TuapekaGold

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm

This was spam. The guy hasn't been back on to check responses since he first posted.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby donba » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 pm

He took his ball and went home. To bad he docent have a pare of them..... :evil:
donba

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Look at the latest post of his. The guy sounds legit. Maybe we popped off too quick.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby oldsoldier » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Lynda wrote:Wow. I thought the site was self-explanatory and subject matter easily found. How have I survived all this time? :D

Works for me. but I guess the site is designed to be people friendly and easy for someone like me who is computer stupid. Not so user friendly for a computer know-it-all type? :?
If by helping just one person learn to survive, to learn to save their life or the life of someone they love. To be able to stand on their own come what may. Then at that time all I have learned, all the hardships, and hard training I have had. Then it will have been worth every minite of time I spent.
oldsoldier
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby MrDanB » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Gunns wrote:I got to thinking and I really don't want to see advertisements for large breasted women and penis enlargement gadgets while I cruise through APN. Just saying.

You know you want to cruise the E.D. infommercials, you sly dog you! :rofl:
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Why? Neither one of them work.
oldasrocks

Postby Conscious » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Gang,

I had a post on this yesterday, but it apparently didn't really post. I'll do my best to reiterate my thoughts.

"Huh, I would've thought we all had a little list of things that could use improvement, but everyone really started in on this guy.

I think he's not terribly wrong. The only reason I know how to use this site is because I took the time to learn it. There is a consistent lack of intuitive organization to it. Either that or or my sense of intuitive website navigation and organization is off kilter.

let's do a quick list:

a) when I first started w/ APN, I found a forum page through a random google question. Next day I decide to go back to the APN, and low and behold, there is no direct link to an obviously labeled forum on the front page.

b) It took me a few months to work through (and i'm still not sure there's a consistent rhyme and reason to it) to work out the the differences between the "View (Answered, Unread, New, Active) Posts. there is a lot of redundancy and a whole lot of unclear intention.

c) "Meetups and Events" on the Blog home page doesn't even offer a link to the meetups and events forum page. that is just not using all the tools in the toolbox.

d) there are various "stashes" of information under some headings that could be better organized. example at the top of my head is the "ABout the APN" tab. only one of those things is actually about the APN. they're about prepping in general and as a basic intro.

Anyhow, not going to dive in, but like I said, I expected us all to have a little list. I'm not nockign the website, I wouldn't come here as often as I do if it weren't good information and good people all around.

I'd also like to point out that this forum structure is obviously an out-of-the-box packaged solution. hundreds and hundreds of websites around the internet use EXACTLY this format and mechanical structure. I think we are all well aware of the fact that packaged solutions are never as pliable, holistic, and utilitarian as their customized brethren, regardless of the field. My favorite tools in the shop are the ones I made myself. Or - because this is my most hated tool in the world - yes, a crescent wrench will work just fine, but that same multi-purpose adaptability is the exact thing that makes it a P.o.S. tool. - just take the time to go get the dog-bone. it was meant to do what you're doing. All this guy is pointing out is that the site could use a little attention to this topic of functional organization.

Also, this guy, OP, does an excellent job at not throwing in a sales pitch. he points out a few issues, suggests a third party review, and then leaves it up for us to discuss. what do ya'll do? you run him up the pole for dogging your beloved forum and being a capitalist. He (A) called out his credentials in order to give a foundation of perspective, (B) pointed out a few shortcomings, and (C) offered a solution. That is exactly what should have been done.

This is exactly like Joe the Super Gun Guy going up to Tommy the Electrician Prepper on the gun range and saying "Hey man, I've been doing this a long time, and I see some issues with your stance and death-grip on that pistol. You mind if I give you some pointers?" That's EXACTLY what this was here.

You guys are off on this one. Way off.
Everyday, Become More than you were yesterday
Everyday, Believe in your soul's potential.
Everyday, Raise your Conscious.
Conscious

Postby daaswampman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:20 am

If the guy is just and a professional, why didn't he go to the owner or moderators? The moment he aired dirty laundry to the membership, he showed his true colors. He may or may not know what he is doing, but he is not a professional. There are millions of self proclaimed IT gurus (usually found working at Wall mart or Radio Shake), that don't know enough to keep a good job. There is a huge demand for the real deal and they don't work for free. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ohiofarmer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:50 am

He posted again yesterday with a link to a web-site. His site looks fine, but its stuff you can get anywhere off the web. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Most of the posts here are years old. Many members (old) no longer come here. The people who control this site have not taken to heart the suggestions and feedback from members. I have a number of issues with this site. Design and ease of use is very lacking. I agree with Bugout. This site is not user friendly and convenient and very confusing. Needs revised, but the people who control it have knon that for at least the 4-6 years at least. Is it automated??? I really dislike commercials and advertising. Especially when it is showed down my throat or forced on me. All forms of media are guilty on that accusation. Lots of B.S. in advertising too, like lies, schemes, gimmics, half truths, distortions, exagerations, deceit, bait and switch, But waits, (Butt Weight is more like it) :-)! Just too much Dishonesty and Greed.......Period. Some people will say ANYTHING if you pay them enough. Reminds me of Prostitution, and soul selling. I will continue my search for a better site or venue.
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions