• Advertisement

Re-Population Question

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Re-Population Question

Postby Lyoness » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:05 am

Grace, you are totally right. This has been done even in our modern times. There was a story a few years back about a mother dying, and a group of women got together and made a schedule to nurse the baby. While I would not trust most people to be clean and free of disease, if I was friends with the women and I couldn't nurse I would still love for my baby to get breast milk, and would allow if she volunteered. I would also do the same for my friends if they needed me too. I wish formula was not so readily available, and women had to at least try and fail at breastfeeding before given the option of formula.
Lyoness

Postby Blaundee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 am

Tinga wrote:Exactly LostFalls. I don't think Dh had thought about it till we were chatting on the porch.

spacecase0- I worked with a lady once that didn't want kids. I thought her weird at the time, even though I firmly stated when I was 13 I was *NOT* having children. Some people never feel the need to have kids, myself included.

I am one of those flaky Christians who believes the end is very near, and have never felt that I should have children. I LOVE KIDS! I love babies of all kinds. I believe children are a girft from God. BUT I also feel that the world is so awful, so corrupt, getting worse, and that Jesus is coming soon, meaning the time of trouble will be upon us in the next few years, and I do not intentionally want to have to watch my beloved children go through that. I would love them more than life itself, I already know that, and I do fully understand that I am missing out on something beautiful by not having children, but I can't intentionally have them and put them through that. Also, I don't believe I could survive the death of a child- I've seen too many women go through that and they are never whole again. So we use birth control. If I wound up pregnant, we would love that baby more than you can imagine, but we will not be intentionally trying to have children.
Blaundee

Postby Blaundee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:10 pm

sageprice wrote:I am an old Man but my brain still works. I would love to find a good bood on Midwifing. Like I posted earlier it is a tradeable trade. I myself plan to teach and build anew. My prepping is to stuff as muck knowledge into this concrete vault I call a head. NOBLE no, practical yes :)

Midwivery is a good trade today :) Any sort of medical knowledge is and always will be highly valuable in ANY situation, even imprisoned and starving you can make like a little eaier on yourself and others if you have medical knowledge and a few simlpe items.

I myself have taken on the role of our family's medic, stocking up the items and learning more things, how to use the herbs I grow and the wild ones too, and keeping records of my family members ailments/allergies/etc. I also have a friend who is a very experienced nurse and midwife that I listen to everything she says closely. All of the people in my family are somewhat experienced in medical knowledge because we live over 2 hours away from a hospital, took care of both of my grandparents for years before and while they died, I've worked as a nurses aid and dental aid, and we all have had a LOT of experience taking care of our animals (who are not so different from us). Since I was a child, I became the main medical provider for all of our animals, and have continued that role. I am teaching everything I can to my youngest sister so that in case something happens to me it won't all be lost, but I just automatically grew into that role. My youngest sister is the one of us who adores cooking the most (even though we all do, and we all cook very well), so she has grown more into the role of being the food planner, organizer, meal planner, and the butcher. We are all gardeners and all raise animals, Mom and I raise most of the poultry. My other sister's role is still developing, but she is basically taking on more of a role as being the one who assists our parents (who are still more than capable, but that seems to be where her role is growing, which is a good one because that will be much needed one day). She is also the main gardener, and main goatkeeper. My brother and hubby are the gun experts, Brother being a Marine provides security and training, and hubby being a lifelong bowhunter provides security and lots of food. SILs role has yet to be determined, as they still live in the city and she doesn't know much about living a self sufficient lifestyle, but she has an amazing work ethic, never wines, and is super smart- she'll excel at whatever her role becomes :)
Blaundee

Postby Blaundee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 pm

prairieshaman_53 wrote:if mom dies in childbirth, but child lives, you can make formula if you have goat's or cow's milk...there are recipes on the web. Also, any mother who is still breastfeeding, can also feed the new infant..it's called tandem breastfeeding. And a mother who has had children and recently weaned can bring her milk supply back to feed the orphaned infant.

as for encapsulating the placenta: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/15 ... w_Pictures shows how and why and the benefits of doing this. At my youngest daughter's last home birth we did the encapsulation (there's a lot of prep work with the placenta, then dehydrating pieces in the dehydrator, then crushing with mortar and pestle, then filling capsules) and she said it made all the difference in how she felt physically and mentally after the birth. And it also promotes increased milk production.
in the event of TEOTWAWKI....mother's will be nursing their children to around age 3....and if they only nurse with no food supplements of any kind the first year, it does decrease her chances of becoming pregnant. And by prolonged nursing, the child continues to receive mom's antibodies as a protection against illness. (this is typical in most cultures except western cultures which consider breasts to be objects of sex instead of what God intended them for...the nourishment of babies/toddlers)

How many caplets did she take per day, and did she just take them all until it was all gone? Many animals eat their placenta, and if they don't something else does.

As for the mom dying and baby surviving- in the event that you do not have a way to reliably, properly clean a bottle for the baby, you can teach the baby to nurse right off of the goat's teats. Juliette D'Barclay did that with one of her children. I grew up raising and milking dairy goats, and Mom still has a herd of them and we all use the milk. MIL and I have recently gotten into dairy sheep, so we'll have milk from them as well as their wool and meat.

In a SHTF sit that you must be on the move, goats are FAR better than cows because they are small, browse for their food, and will follow you- anywhere you can go, they can go! Plus they are not dangerous and dont kick like a cow. (though I do love cows and find them irresistable :) )
Blaundee

Postby Wysong » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:08 pm

spacecase0 wrote:I am all for repopulating,
I am currently looking for someone to do that with,
but almost every women I talk to does not ever want kids.

I'm past childbearing years but if I were not, I too would be leery of bringing children into this world. Especially when we have no idea what's ahead. Some women do have complications from childbirth, and some die. Without Drs and hospitals it would be taking a real chance. And what kind of life would it be for a child if people are starving and dying and we're back to living in the 1800s.
Wysong

Postby AfleetAlex » Fri May 10, 2013 1:55 am

If the SHTF, the last thing on anyones mind would be rebuilding the population, until society has resstablized. If it does, that will happen naturally.

This is the creepiest thread ever.
AfleetAlex

Postby Lynda » Fri May 10, 2013 4:52 am

AfleetAlex wrote:If the SHTF, the last thing on anyones mind would be rebuilding the population, until society has resstablized. If it does, that will happen naturally.

Although pregnancies may not be planned they'd still happen and probably wouldn't wait until society stablizes. I think this thread raises some valid questions and concerns, particularly for women of child bearing age.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby JRuggles » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 am

AfleetAlex wrote:If the SHTF, the last thing on anyones mind would be rebuilding the population, until society has resstablized. If it does, that will happen naturally.

I don't think I would call this thread creepy. It does raise difficult questions on a "what if" scenario, yet it is wise to consider how you would act in such a situation. We've probably all heard the "what if" scenario about stopping to help what appears to be an injured woman next to a vehicle. Is she alone? Does she have children there? Are you alone? Do you have children with you? Is she genuinely in distress? Is this a trap? We mull this over in our minds to form some base idea of what we would do in that situation. Of course, none of us wants to actually see that scenario play out in front of us, but we plan just in case.

I'd say this thread is just another iteration of the same. We're pursuing the possibilities of a "what if" scenario. What if you found yourself in a community post SHTF that did in fact place higher value on women who can reproduce than those who cannot? What if food was scarce and rationed, and so the hard decision to be made was to only feed those that can reproduce and thus help rebuild society? And to dovetail with your comment about society re-stabilizing, what if the group you found yourself in adopted the view that the only way to re-stabilize society was to produce the next generation?

Hope that doesn't sound like too much of a rant. Just adding my two cents: the more thoroughly we consider "what if" the more prepared we are to deal with it should we have such misfortune.
A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences. -Proverbs 22:3
JRuggles
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Dagnyy » Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 pm

I wouldn't term the topic creepy, but it is disturbing on a number of levels, not the least of which is I'm beyond my child-bearing years.

Sure, re-population as a community "task" wouldn't likely happen for quite some time post-SHTF, but I can't help but think of the The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (http://www.amazon.com/Handmaids-Tale-Vintage-Classics-ebook/dp/B003JFJHTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368209543&sr=8-1&keywords=the+handmaiden) which really IS creepy.

Set in the near future, it describes life in what was once the United States, now called the Republic of Gilead, a monotheocracy that has reacted to social unrest and a sharply declining birthrate by reverting to, and going beyond, the repressive intolerance of the original Puritans. The regime takes the Book of Genesis absolutely at its word, with bizarre consequences for the women and men of its population.
When I first read the book in the mid-'80s I was firmly convinced it was only a really good sci-fi novel and, of course, it could never REALLY happen.

These days...? I think it could happen in a NY minute.

-Dagny
Dagnyy

Postby AfleetAlex » Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Lyoness wrote:I wish formula was not so readily available, and women had to at least try and fail at breastfeeding before given the option of formula.

Hail Hitler! **salutes**
(And I breastfed)
AfleetAlex

Postby AfleetAlex » Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Lynda wrote:

Although pregnancies may not be planned they'd still happen and probably wouldn't wait until society stablizes. I think this thread raises some valid questions and concerns, particularly for women of child bearing age.

But the original post isn't about caring for unintentional pregnancies. It's about women of non-child bearing age being outcasted in some way.

A society that is used to living with plenty, whom is suddenly left with nothing, will not be thinking about a plan for repopulation until the world has stabilized enough to safely raise and educate those children . At that point, women of non-childbearing age will not be considered a burden.

We are no longer a society that puts any serious thought into growing the population. In a SHTF situation the focus would be on caring for those that are here now, if anything, preventing pregnancy.

The whole concept of this is based on unrealistic hysteria.

I should add: Unless you are with a group who's religious beliefs are that you need to make as many babies as possible to carry on your religion. Then there may be an issue. But, if you stick around that group; I guess you kinda asked for it.
AfleetAlex

Postby Lynda » Sat May 11, 2013 3:10 am

AfleetAlex wrote:
Lynda wrote:

But the original post isn't about caring for unintentional pregnancies. It's about women of non-child bearing age being outcasted in some way.

A society that is used to living with plenty, whom is suddenly left with nothing, will not be thinking about a plan for repopulation until the world has stabilized enough to safely raise and educate those children . At that point, women of non-childbearing age will not be considered a burden.

We are no longer a society that puts any serious thought into growing the population. In a SHTF situation the focus would be on caring for those that are here now, if anything, preventing pregnancy.

The whole concept of this is based on unrealistic hysteria.

I should add: Unless you are with a group who's religious beliefs are that you need to make as many babies as possible to carry on your religion. Then there may be an issue. But, if you stick around that group; I guess you kinda asked for it.

I'm long past child bearing age and have no concerns that I'd be a burden to my group(of family and neighbors); besides we're the ones with all the stuff. I agree with you there in that it's a bit far fetched to think that anyone who can't produce children would be outcasts. My older neighbors, at 76, have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know and have been fountains of knowledge in terms of country living.

Besides, many younger women choose to not have more than a selected number of children and have elective surgery to that end. I was one of them at age 30. I think it's rather silly to presume that anyone would not be useful should they be incapable of having kids. And that puts men right into the equation. :)

I'm not usually one to consider the improbable in a post apocalyptic world and worry about things like this.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda

Postby daaswampman » Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 am

Missing the point. In a SHTF situation, it will be many years before any man wants or needs a pregnant woman or little kids to worry about. Many don't want that now and who is going to be worrying about re-population while it takes everything you got, just to get by. If anything it would be a huge advantage for a women to not have that problem.

Humans are proof it takes no brains to breed and there will be no shortage of women with kids. Right now the majority of marriages fail. There are more blended and single parent families than traditional families. In addition most families are dispersed and not nearly as bonded as they once were. SHTF will not make that situation any better. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 pm

to be more realistic "Adapt, life goes on." The whole idea of 'trying' to repopulate is rediculous. The world will live with or without our generation. The best we can do is strive to thrive and lay the ground work for the younger to grow on. And hopefully not make our mistakes again. Raising kids is hard work. Don't force the burden unless you are willing to pay the price. As much as I dislike Hilary she is correct when she said , "It takes a village." Strive for the village and let Momma Nature do her thing.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Tinga » Mon May 13, 2013 10:40 am

And the thread is still going. Goes to show what thoughts and opinions can come of a simple conversation between a husband and wife. We don't frequently venture down the rabbit hole to discuss topics usually like this. BUT... at least we are *AWARE* there IS a rabbit hole.

Personally being of reproductive age, but not able...gives me GREAT relief. The thought was just a scenario that we debated on. We talked about it to give one another the perspective of the other side and a WHAT IF scenario. We also talk about what would happen if we won the lottery as well... :)
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson

[url]https://www.facebook.com/RockHillRabbitry[/url]
Tinga
Oregon Preppers Network
Oregon Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to Ladies Section