• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

WOOL (and other fiber) ALLERGIES *whimpers*

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: WOOL (and other fiber) ALLERGIES *whimpers*

Postby Anna » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Since you're having a breathing reaction rather than a local skin reaction, I'd bet its some sort of "dust" from the fibers -- that's why its an issue will all the different products. Have you tried washing them before you handle them? Also, after washing and drying I'd store them in a sealed container to keep them from getting dusty again.

I have asthma and allergies and am very allergic to wool, but its a contact allergy not breathing. My dh used to wear wool socks and I would get an itchy rash when I darned them. I cannot wear wool next to my skin or I get hives. I currently have on a wool sweater with a cotton turtleneck underneath and no problem. I also wear other wool items as long as there is no direct skin contact.
Anna

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Anna wrote:Since you're having a breathing reaction rather than a local skin reaction, I'd bet its some sort of "dust" from the fibers -- that's why its an issue will all the different products. Have you tried washing them before you handle them? Also, after washing and drying I'd store them in a sealed container to keep them from getting dusty again.

I have asthma and allergies and am very allergic to wool, but its a contact allergy not breathing. My dh used to wear wool socks and I would get an itchy rash when I darned them. I cannot wear wool next to my skin or I get hives. I currently have on a wool sweater with a cotton turtleneck underneath and no problem. I also wear other wool items as long as there is no direct skin contact.

I had the same problem before I tried Merino wool. I can wear that next to my skin with NO problems (in fact I'm wearing merino wool socks right now) where all other types of wool make me break out in hives.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby terrapin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 pm

WOOL!
I love it!
It makes me itch.
I just love scratchin...
Mmmm...

And chiggers... :shakeyes: Oh, yeah!
I scratch them lil devils til they bleed, then rub alcohol on em.
Ahhh.... nothing like it.
terrapin

Previous

Return to Ladies Section