Ginger tea
Raspberry tea
saltines
one tbsp apple cider vinegar and one tbsp honey mixed in 8oz water
ginger snaps
gingerale
vitamin B6
citrus slices (smelling, eating)

Does anyone have suggestions for something that works for headache and tummy troubles?
galnextdoor

Re: home remedies for morning sickness?

Postby Lostfalls » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 am

I am assuming you are looking for headache remedies safe for pregnant and nursing mothers??

Peppermint oil on your temples.
Peppermint tea also aids in headaches and settles your tummy (aiding in nausea and slowing diarrhea).
Soda water and soda crackers will help settle your stomach.

I use feverfew for my migraines - although I don't know how safe it is for pregnant or nursing moms....

A good daily dose of magnesium has been shown hopeful in preventing migraines for some people.
For this reason an Epsom Salt bath may also help a migraine headache - your skin absorbs the magnesium from the water.

Eucalyptus oil and Lavender oil for aromatherapy (headache)
Lostfalls
Washington Preppers Network

Postby valentinoswife » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:16 pm

I had horrible morning sickness with all of mine -- the doctor gave me a trick that worked -- take a cup of cottage cheese with you to bed -- eat it immediately before you go to sleep -- lay down and stay in bed. The body is craving B6 - the cottage cheese will supply necessary nutrients while you sleep and will cut morning sickness! It worked for me -- anyone with a milk supply will be able to make cottage cheese easily! Lots of recipes online!
Valentinoswife
Pinch of Prepping http://wp.me/P4203D-7
valentinoswife
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Don't get pregnant! :evil: Just kidding, but it will help!! :)
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Senah » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:04 pm

I've tried various approaches with patients, with various levels of success. Personally, I think some of it has to do with the individual pregnancy/fetus, and some with genetics.

I do think that for some, the seasickness bracelets that stimulate pressure points on the wrists help. If you haven't tried them, I would give it a go.

I do put patients on magnesium 400 mg daily (which is the only studied remedy that is recommended in official pharmacology guides for migraine in pregnancy - higher doses to avert a migraine crisis not in oral form) - you have to watch to make sure you don't develop diarrhea/constipation from it. Another thing that I use and a lot of the neurologists use with success (though it can take up to 3 months to work well) is riboflavin, which is B2, 400mg a day (don't take more than that). It is also generally thought to be safe during pregnancy. Ginger tea 4x a day or something with ginger in it helps, though patients need to know it can take up to 10-14 days of use to start being effective! So, don't give up if after 1-2 days it hasn't helped yet. Also, for nausea, having a bag of lemon slices and sucking on one helps to fix nausea.

Your provider can prescribe something for nausea if it is terrible and you aren't keeping food down, but I would try these things first. One other thing? Set your alarm for 30-40 minutes before you have to get up, eat a packet of saltines and drink about 4 sips of water - any more and you may stimulate a lot of heartburn. Go back to sleep. Then, when you get up you will likely have decreased your morning nausea by having something in your stomach. I would always run this stuff by your provider, as that is what I have my pregnant patients do, even when they still prefer to come to me during pregnancy for care.

Oh, do not take feverfew if pregnant!! It is a time-honored migraine med, but can induce bleeding/miscarriage, so isn't great for kids under 2 or pregnant women.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby Lostfalls » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Senah wrote:
Oh, do not take feverfew if pregnant!! It is a time-honored migraine med, but can induce bleeding/miscarriage, so isn't great for kids under 2 or pregnant women.

Ah! See, I was suspecting this was the case. Thanks for the info!
Lostfalls

Postby Senah » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Lostfalls wrote:
Senah wrote:

Ah! See, I was suspecting this was the case. Thanks for the info!

For general info if people are interested in getting into natural remedies, Michael Moore was probably the best in the nation, and wrote great books. He talks about identification, collection, storage, and wrote with great humor. I'd check him out - you can get his books at Amazon, also second hand and save some $$. Univ. of Maryland's Complementary Medicine website is always good to check out herbs and supplements' interactions, contraindications, and precautions.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Try eliminating strong flavored foods from your diet. Onions made me queasy. Also, try to eat more often. Small meals & snacks may ward off the low blood sugar queasies. (oreos in my pocket at work--sneak a snack). Maybe a midnight snack. I craved oranges & they helped a lot.
I didn't know about ginger WAY back then. It too prolly would have helped. Homemade gingerale is good.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby NetStorm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:12 pm

You will not believe it until you try it.....cut a lemon in half, squeeze half of one into a glass..slam it back..try it
NetStorm

Postby IceFire » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 pm

As has been stated before, morning sickness varies with each pregnancy. With my first, the ONLY time I ever got sick was when we were working "mids" shift--we were on a 6-2 (6 days on, 2 days off) rotating days, swings, mids schedule. Days and swings never gave me a problem, but on mids, I was puking.

With the 2nd kid (a boy) I was fine all day long, UNTIL right after dinner, and then I couldn't even LOOK at the leftovers without getting sick. I ALSO could not STAND the smell of fish (and I used to make a REALLY good tuna casserole)--and I STILL can't stand it.

Kid # 3 didn't really have too much issue with morning sickness.

Kid # 4, I did have some problems with it in the afternoons, instead of in the morning, but eating a fresh tomato took care of it every time.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby namwal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Don't get pregnant! :evil: Just kidding, but it will help!! :)

That's scary...I was gonna post the same thing :D
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby gabyrum » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:47 am

NetStorm wrote:You will not believe it until you try it.....cut a lemon in half, squeeze half of one into a glass..slam it back..try it

Agreed ...depending on the severity of the nausea, a whole 1/2 lemon straight may not be necessary. i got through my entire pregnancy putting quarter lemons in my water. Added some flavor to the water and kept any nausea at bay. Never once puked.
gabyrum
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rohain » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:57 am

Raspberry leaf tea.
rohain

Postby CrimsonRadiance » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm

I used Sea Bands with all three of my pregnancies. You can get them from the pharmacist, but you don't need a prescription. They are basically bands that hit certain pressure points in your wrists that help with nausea. They really do work, and are small for easy transport. They are pretty cheap as well. They work for motion sickness was well. We have a couple different pairs in our B.O.B's. They are washable and reusable. :-)
Trying to learn all I can to help keep my family safe
CrimsonRadiance
Mississippi Preppers Network

Postby CrimsonRadiance » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:15 pm

rohain wrote:Raspberry leaf tea.

You want to be careful drinking Raspberry leaf tea. It can cause contractions. You wouldn't want those too early.. Just a heads up.
Trying to learn all I can to help keep my family safe
CrimsonRadiance

Next

Return to Ladies Section