• Advertisement

Homemade Sanitary Pads

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Homemade Sanitary Pads

Postby juju_mommy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:49 am

Hillbilly Housewife: Homemade Sanitary Pads
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm

Check out the link above. I'll say, I still use disposable ladies items and don't have any desire to change over any time soon. I have a big box of fem items from Sam's that I have stored away for TEOTWAWKI and just for general backup. Just like with toilet paper, I stay well stocked (or as well stocked as space will allow).

That said, I definitely believe in being prepared for long-term solutions in a TEOTWAWKI situation. I have several homemade sanitary pad "patterns" printed out, along with info about how to clean then and such, in my "binder". I suggest that you all (even you guys out there that are daring enough to read this post LOL) print out this type of info for future reference.

The info I have printed is not from the Hillbilly Housewife site. I love that website but this was the first time I saw this page/section (it was linked on Survivalblog.com). It has links to other sites as well.

But one part I read that I wanted to highlight:

A No-Sew AlternativeIf your sewing skills are lacking, or you simply do not want to go through the trouble of sewing your own pads you can try this instead. Purchase absorbent terry-cloth dishtowels. Wash them before using. Fold them into rectangles about 3 or 4-inches by 10 or 12 inches. Use safety pins to pin them into your underwear at both narrow ends (the front and the back). These are a bit bulkier than home-sewn pads. They are quite comfortable though, and are a legitimate alternative. They may be washed the same as home-sewn pads. I’ve also seen washcloths recommended. Fold them into thirds, or quarters (long ways) and fit them into your underwear. Apparently they stay in place without pinning because of the friction between the terry-cloth and underwear. For heavier flows fold together 2 or more wash cloths.

I thought that this was a useful idea. It's a great idea to keep these types of dishtowels on hand simply for this use. I feel the same way about those old fashioned diaper clothes. Those diaper clothes can be used for numerous other things (other than just a folded diaper) so it's worth it to keep a pack in your stash (don't forget the diaper pins and cover pants).
juju_mommy
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Homemade Sanitary Pads

Postby sbsion » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:14 am

Don't forget, for thousands of years, that time of the month was called "...going on the r--......", in an emergency, what do you do..do with what ya got (btw, you can always wash them out)
there are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, find one today

-----------------------------------------------
Food, water and first aid problems?
http://www.oursurvival2012.blogspot.com
sbsion

Postby PAfrogmom » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:25 pm

My daughter would probably try to have me sedated if I even suggested changing to homemade pads. Personally, I just pray I've entered menopause before the SHTF! It's a hassle to deal with during normal times let alone having to make run for it in a survival situation, WITH CRAMPS?
The joy of life lies not in the destination but in the journey. Live life without regrets.
PAfrogmom

Postby IceFire » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:27 pm

PAfrogmom wrote:My daughter would probably try to have me sedated if I even suggested changing to homemade pads. Personally, I just pray I've entered menopause before the SHTF! It's a hassle to deal with during normal times let alone having to make run for it in a survival situation, WITH CRAMPS?

Yeah, but THEN you get to deal with the hot flashes and night sweats.....(at least I don't have the cramps and monthly mess anymore...)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Here's more info, with links to discussions on other forums:

Sanitary Pads
http://communityawarenesspreparation.ph ... -t393.html
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby CarolinaPrepper » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:21 pm

I switched to cloth for a while before I got pg with my youngest. I did it the simplest way possible. I bought terry washclothes, folded them like normal and then in half. I didn't need to pin, they stayed in place just fine. I used a 1 gallon ice cream bucket filled with water, a little bleach (1-2 caps full) and a few squirts of dawn dish soap. I dropped them in when used, washed them daily with the regular wash, and had 0 problems with staining, leakage, etc. It took a day or so to adjust to the bulk, but afterward I was totally comfy. For nights I folded 2 clothes together lengthwise and had my own supersize, longer pads for night. It was so easy and not nearly as icky as I expected. I would also think that the thicker soft cloth diapers like they have at Target would work well too.
Mel

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
CarolinaPrepper

Postby sbsion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

thanks............I needed that.......will pass on

sbsion

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:14 pm

sbsion wrote:thanks............I needed that.......will pass on

sb .. you saw the name of the thread, and you walked into the room ....... just sayin'. ;)
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby sbsion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

ReadyMom wrote:

sb .. you saw the name of the thread, and you walked into the room ....... just sayin'. ;)

I underSTANd, gots lotsa women in my family of 61...he he........will pass on (to them)...great idea...see, not so bad after all :clap:

sbsion

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:22 pm

sbsion wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:

I underSTANd, gots lotsa women in my family of 61...he he........will pass on (to them)...great idea...see, not so bad after all :clap:

A man who is used to walking in on a woman's conversation! :D :thumbsup:
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DustBunny » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:26 pm

This makes a wonderful first post.

I have used the Hillbilly Housewife pattern and used the homemade pads for several years. It is not as icky and horrifying as one might think. The only two drawbacks is if you have heavy flow issues you end up having a lot of bulk and feeling like you are sitting on a pillow all the time. The other drawback is if you need to go out in public for any amount of time it is easier to use a disposable item. I personally never could see myself carrying a bag to put my soiled pads in in my purse :shock: :eek: :shakeno: :crazy: :bored:

I have lost most of my supply (don't ask me how) so I need to sew new ones.
DustBunny

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:06 pm

DustBunny wrote:This makes a wonderful first post.

I have used the Hillbilly Housewife pattern and used the homemade pads for several years. It is not as icky and horrifying as one might think. The only two drawbacks is if you have heavy flow issues you end up having a lot of bulk and feeling like you are sitting on a pillow all the time. The other drawback is if you need to go out in public for any amount of time it is easier to use a disposable item. I personally never could see myself carrying a bag to put my soiled pads in in my purse :shock: :eek: :shakeno: :crazy: :bored:

Image Image Greetings from Pennsylvania, DustBunny!

DustBunny wrote:-snip-

Oke ... I HAVE to ask:

We don't want to ask, because you really don't know? OR We don't want to ask, because, we really don't want to find out, lol? -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TheLight » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:06 am

My GF prefers something called the Diva Cup every month and especially when camping. She intends to use it during any PAW scenario as well. Apparently it's very easy to clean and use and beats the heck out of pads, rags, etc.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 am

TheLight...something that your GF might want to consider....in a SHTF/PAW situation, access to clean water for cleaning the Diva Cup (AND her hands) could be problematic. Just using ANYTHING that is inserted into a body cavity in a less-than-clean setting is a good way to pick up a nasty infection, as I found out after using tampons while out on "bivouac" during Basic Training.

If you do not have clean conditions, you do not want to be inserting ANYTHING into your "hoo-ha"...external methods (such as pads) are MUCH preferrable under those circumstances. Trust me. Been there, done that.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TheLight » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 pm

IceFire wrote:TheLight...something that your GF might want to consider....in a SHTF/PAW situation, access to clean water for cleaning the Diva Cup (AND her hands) could be problematic. Just using ANYTHING that is inserted into a body cavity in a less-than-clean setting is a good way to pick up a nasty infection, as I found out after using tampons while out on "bivouac" during Basic Training.

If you do not have clean conditions, you do not want to be inserting ANYTHING into your "hoo-ha"...external methods (such as pads) are MUCH preferrable under those circumstances. Trust me. Been there, done that.

My GF just boils it in a pot of water (she said one to two minutes only to preserve the silicons integrity) and all is good. It's something that can be done easily at home or on the trail. She's been using it for a year or so now with no ill effects. If you have any question of concerns I'll definitely pass them along but she thoroughly researched this before trying it (for the exact reasons you mentioned!).
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Ladies Section