• Advertisement

Homemade Sanitary Pads

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Homemade Sanitary Pads

Postby Dagnyy » Sat May 11, 2013 8:59 am

I mentioned this in another "feminine protection" topic, but I'll mention it again.

Sea sponges make the perfect menstrual sponge. I spent five years in the Air Force with one sea sponge cut into two pieces... I think the sea sponge cost me $12 and it was humongous!

And I had the flow from hell... seriously, I could go through 8-10 of the super tampons in a day and still have to be v-e-r-y careful about my activity level... major bummer.

But once I started using the sea sponges, I was never left sittin' on the porch... I could run w/ the big dogs all day, every day. ;)

And... ummmm... how to say this delicately... errrrrr... well, let's put it this way... even during the most intimate times, no one ever knew I had my period. I've even had beaus who'd come to me somewhere around the 3-month mark and ask me about what they thought was my overall lack of a period... they'd finally realized we'd been... well, you know... without a break or even a sheet needing a lil' pretreatment and usually asked what was going on.

I highly recommend sea sponges, and not for cosmetic use either.

-Dagny
Dagnyy

Postby AreUSeeKay » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:40 am

Family Cloths – The Unmentionables I just read this article, and wondered about sanitary Pads, did a quick search and found this subject. A healthy curiosity, now I feel better prepared and can assist in prepping the females in my prepping family.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. ~Abraham Lincoln
The Nomadic Prepper ~ SFC, USA Retired
AreUSeeKay

Postby TaffyJ » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:26 pm

It's not that complicated. You need absorbent material which can be washed and re-used. But I wouldn't be putting anything porous inside. Too much chance for infection.
Shrug
TaffyJ
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:14 pm

The FDA Gets in Women’s Panties: Reusuable Menstrual Pads to be Subject to $4000 a Year in Extortion Fees
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/the-fda- ... VFp7Z.dpuf

Well, our good friends at the FDA are looking out for us again. Thank goodness we have them to fine us, charges us fees, regulate perfectly natural things, and keep us safe. Heck, who knew that women couldn’t even safely menstruate without them?

The FDA has decided that reusable menstrual pads are Class I Medical Devices. That means those who manufacture these products must pay an annual fee of THREE TO FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS to continue doing so. Not only must these ladies armed with sewing machines pay taxes on their income, they must pay a fealty charge to the FDA to continue making a living this way. FDA Regulation #884.5435 states that a reusable menstrual pad maker must be “FDA compliant” – which means they must pay a yearly registration fee of $3,646 to remain in business for 2015 and a fee of $3,872 for 2016.

This is part of the Medical Device User Fee and Modernization Act…also known as ..... CONTINUED at LINK, above .....
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Homemade 'contingency pads' are also easily folded from old diapers....cheap, made absorbent and washable, and many mommies have them around the house already. I prefer pin and fold to sewing, its quicker, and somehow those pre-shaped ones remind me of a stuffed doggie toy....
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks, kappy, I just blew hot tea out my nose. And dh now thinks I'm truly odd.
Doggy toys........
I look at pantie liners every day, now I will think of dog toys, every day.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:56 pm

With or without squeakers? Beware, the squeakers sound off when you walk.....does the hot tea help with stuffy sinuses? I am desperate enough to try it....
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell

Postby arkieready » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 pm

You are cruel! Lol

No, hot tea, lemon, Jim beam and honey, not to go in a neti pot, or my nose. I use warm saline and a splash of Alkolol. An aromatic nasal rinse solution. Too strong for me to more than a little splash in the neti pot.
Back on topic, I wish I had used homemade pads more back then. Besides a couple of emergency uses of wash rags or socks as pads, I spent $$$ on tampons.
DD uses a diva.
P!

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby daaswampman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:58 pm

I hope you told everybody what you did with their wash cloths and socks! Swamp
daaswampman

Postby Northern Freeman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:22 am

I had a old girlfriend that taught me how to remove blood stains using hydrogen peroxide. :blush: It just might help with cleaning up spots from leaking on to nice clothing or bedding.
:rofl: Now I know what happend to my lost socks.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:25 am

Ok, I won't even touch my sons socks with a stick, dd had toe socks, nope, not either of theirs. I'm the only with normal socks.
The wash rags were truly rags. Gee, don't ya all have different qualities of wash"cloths"? Like in new, every day use, old, and rags? Sheesh, I got to 'splain ?
P!

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby Northern Freeman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:46 am

No need to splain, it is actually a very good topic. And I will add a 5 gallon bucket of nice fresh cloth diapers to storage and some old clean socks . They could come in handy for a couple of uses.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman

Postby AuntBee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:56 am

kappydell wrote:With or without squeakers? Beware, the squeakers sound off when you walk.....does the hot tea help with stuffy sinuses? I am desperate enough to try it....

I've been snickering over this ever since I read it. Everytime my cane or shoes squeak (especially wet sneakers on linoleum) I start laughing and can't stop. The harder I try to stop, the worse it gets. Oh well, it keeps people away from me. ;)

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby RLSunday » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Perhaps one way around the fee would be to make them reusable but market them as disposable. If everything in your literature, product advertisements says disposable, how can the government possibly fine you just because someone who purchases your product ignores the instructions you've enclosed. Seems like if this is an actual law it would be very difficult to enforce. Also I wonder if this is only for new pads or used because if it's only for new it wouldn't be a very difficult thing to take brand new pads that don't need washing, then wash them all up once before mailing them out, sending them out as used pads. As in you used them to soak up clean hot water in your washing machine before drying and sending them off. Boy anything to give WAHMs the shaft - well that's Big Brother for you.
RLSunday

Postby arkieready » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Careful, aunt bee, instead of contingency pads, if you keep laughing like that, you will need continence pads.

(Squeak)
P!

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Previous

Return to Ladies Section